Thai Immigration To Launch Fast-Track Entry For Tourists

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Surely the fee will be part of the airport tax paid for with the ticket. It won't work any other way.

So what happens to all the cameras or will you still have to stop for a photo?

I really hope it works but is Thai immigration ready for this? You know how much the Thais love their rubber stamps.

• Like 1

It would be a nice, easy, and simple start to easing the crowds of those of us who frequently travel within the region and elsewhere as "returning residents", whether on work or other legitimate residency permits (and where ample local government bureauocracy already vets everything any authority would want to know about us frequently, and too often each time for a further 'fee') if Immigration at airports were to would allow those with valid re-entry permits (another unnecessary process, and fee, when the residency permit should be automative confirmation of same!) to line up at the more frequently empty or less crowded "Thai Passports" counters.

No it's fast track for tourists. "Returning residents" will have to line up and wait

check out the following

http://www.immi.gov....full_manual.pdf

Australia system sucks.

If I am a mind to go there with my American passport I have to go through some kind of complicated system here in Thailand to get the visa.

If I am in Australia and want to come to Thailand I get on the airplane and go. Stand in a line some times a long one some times a short one and when I get to the officer I get my Visa now.

Going to Australia from my home in Chiang Mai I have to send my passport to Bangkok. Days as compared to a short wait.

I came through immigration about 10 days from Singapore and the system looked awful to me.

The queue (as usual) was nearly going down the ramp on entry to the immigration area. They had an incredible 5 desks open for Thai national only. This is too much and not needed, there aren't that many Thais travelling. They are flattering themselves. I have never seen all the Thai national queues being used at once, let alone a small queue. Even in Singapore they only have about 3 desks for Singaporean national, plus that includes work permit holders.

Out of all the desks available for foreign passports I remember seeing at least 4/5 that were closed.

When I got to desk as usual the officer was slow and pointless in his checks. Does it matter whats in my passport, is there anything in there that could deny me entry or is there any question where the answer could result in a rejection. Probably not !! Does he even know, care or have any business knowing what my stamps from other countries are, and even if he asked how does he know any different.Then of course the photo taking, stamping and more time looking over my passport. In the end just a sort of grunt and gave me the passport. So what was the point of the so called checking.

My point here is all this talk of new systems and queue styles is irrelevant. The main factor that makes BKK immigration so slow is the people and the way the people are passing travellers through immigration. On average they seem to take up to about 2 minutes per person to clear them, this is too long. Plus its a simple logic that if you have more desks open then the queue will go quicker.

Plus the other thing that doesn't help is when airlines are not supplied with enough white forms.

Edited by rinteln

it would help if they got rid of that stupid customs form for a start.

Automatic systems are for 1 reason only to, keep a watch on you WORLDWIDE...people who fall for this garbage dont deserve any human rights or personal freedoms as you are basically just accepting a Fascist al-be-it communist system of being a slave to system ...thats all part of the million plus cameras for Bangkok...your liberty's are being eroded

Bangkok is not even in the top 10 of busiest Airports and they need this system when the others dont ...it stinks of Big Brother Taxin and his CFR friends

• Like 1

it would help if they got rid of that stupid customs form for a start.

Automatic systems are for 1 reason only to, keep a watch on you WORLDWIDE...people who fall for this garbage dont deserve any human rights or personal freedoms as you are basically just accepting a Fascist al-be-it communist system of being a slave to system ...thats all part of the million plus cameras for Bangkok...your liberty's are being eroded

Bangkok is not even in the top 10 of busiest Airports and they need this system when the others dont ...it stinks of Big Brother Taxin and his CFR friends

Bangkok is not even in the top 10 of busiest Airports and they need this system when the others dont##

I totally agree. BKK doesn't come any where near to the big European/US airports in passenger numbers and still they struggle. Its the people not the system.

Frankly, I am very impressed with the artists impression.

Me too..... not any tourist has luggage with him/her.... cheesy.gif

Well spotted! thumbsup.gif

That's because by the time this fantasy happens, passengers won't be allowed ANY hand luggage.

Good quote ! AMAZING Thailand for ever !clap2.gif

It would be a nice, easy, and simple start to easing the crowds of those of us who frequently travel within the region and elsewhere as "returning residents", whether on work or other legitimate residency permits (and where ample local government bureauocracy already vets everything any authority would want to know about us frequently, and too often each time for a further 'fee') if Immigration at airports were to would allow those with valid re-entry permits (another unnecessary process, and fee, when the residency permit should be automative confirmation of same!) to line up at the more frequently empty or less crowded "Thai Passports" counters.

No it's fast track for tourists. "Returning residents" will have to line up and wait

cheesy.gif WOEAAAAHH !!! Sure they will ! They only like the foreign tourist who arrive with their loads of bucks that hopefully will be spend in a (very) short time..... whistling.gif

check out the following

http://www.immi.gov....full_manual.pdf

Australia system sucks.

If I am a mind to go there with my American passport I have to go through some kind of complicated system here in Thailand to get the visa.

If I am in Australia and want to come to Thailand I get on the airplane and go. Stand in a line some times a long one some times a short one and when I get to the officer I get my Visa now.

Going to Australia from my home in Chiang Mai I have to send my passport to Bangkok. Days as compared to a short wait.

um, no.

If you are an American, or indeed, from pretty much any developed nation you get online, pay $20 or whatever it is, and your e-visa is approved. No sending your passport down to BKK.

It was such an effective system, that the Americans now have adopted it.

This is really silly or am I missing something? Just walk through without stamp and checks??? Australia stopped stamping us in and out of the country years ago (saves a lot of space in the passport) and UK followed a couple of years later. No stamp, but they still put you in the system, talk to you (try to suss out if you're nervous so possible a drug mule in Aus), check your photo. Both our UK and AUS passports are due this year, and I'm looking forward to getting the biometric ones to save time at immigration in those places.

As an aside, arrived back from UK about 3 weeks ago and the first time it's happened to me - 2 hours at immigration at BKK. I've read about people complaining many times before, but I've never waited more than half an hour, which I would at Melbourne or Heathrow. They can't blame anything but themselves. Less than half of the windows were open. I actually counted them - forget the number, but I remember saying that there's only 45% of the windows open. I was standing bored for long enough to work out the percentage. The arrival and departure cards should be done away with - how about an iPad or Android, with a nice app that will bring up the names, addresses, passport numbers etc and it be taken around the plane for people to just add on the extra bits about how long/where they are staying, address, and even a built in customs declaration? Download it to immigration system as soon as the plane lands. It that such a crazy idea? It sounds so sensible it must be a crazy idea, or everybody would have done it by now.

Yes indeed, so clever of the artist to air brush out about 98% of the actual queue of people

However; if I'm mistaken on this point, then we must assume that the artist has some strong insight into the real impact on tourism in Phuket following the string of scandals, including murder, over the past couple of years.

I know people keep saying tourism will be impacted, but it seems that more and more people are coming form a wider variety of countries.

+1

Yes indeed, so clever of the artist to air brush out about 98% of the actual queue of people

However; if I'm mistaken on this point, then we must assume that the artist has some strong insight into the real impact on tourism in Phuket following the string of scandals, including murder, over the past couple of years.

I know people keep saying tourism will be impacted, but it seems that more and more people are coming form a wider variety of countries.

Absolutely correct....maybe all those BBC ads for AMAZING, MIRACLE YEAR, and now UNBEATABLE Thailand actually work ?

This is really silly or am I missing something? Just walk through without stamp and checks??? Australia stopped stamping us in and out of the country years ago (saves a lot of space in the passport) and UK followed a couple of years later. No stamp, but they still put you in the system, talk to you (try to suss out if you're nervous so possible a drug mule in Aus), check your photo. Both our UK and AUS passports are due this year, and I'm looking forward to getting the biometric ones to save time at immigration in those places.

As an aside, arrived back from UK about 3 weeks ago and the first time it's happened to me - 2 hours at immigration at BKK. I've read about people complaining many times before, but I've never waited more than half an hour, which I would at Melbourne or Heathrow. They can't blame anything but themselves. Less than half of the windows were open. I actually counted them - forget the number, but I remember saying that there's only 45% of the windows open. I was standing bored for long enough to work out the percentage. The arrival and departure cards should be done away with - how about an iPad or Android, with a nice app that will bring up the names, addresses, passport numbers etc and it be taken around the plane for people to just add on the extra bits about how long/where they are staying, address, and even a built in customs declaration? Download it to immigration system as soon as the plane lands. It that such a crazy idea? It sounds so sensible it must be a crazy idea, or everybody would have done it by now.

"I'm looking forward to getting the biometric ones to save time at immigration in those places." - don't get too optimistic - those bio gizmos have had some of their own teething-probs causing their own hi-tech delays. As for delays at Swampy - i'm also one of those who've never really had a problem coming into BKK over a 4-year period. Do you think the problem of the 45% of windows being opened was linked to something, such as time-of-day; or maybe the effects (such as hangovers) of one of the many Thai festivals / ceremonies etc, that involve mass consumption of booze late into the night ?

Edited by crazydrummerpauly

The title of the original article says "fast-track entry for tourists", but there's no reference to tourists in the article itself. Is this innovation intended to be solely for those casually visiting the country for a few days, or is the intention to make life easier for those of us who've committed to living here for the longer term?

Ever been to KL, that could be a photoshopped image of immigration there.

I was stuck in immigration queue for over 2 hours on way out of KL. Very rude and unfriendly staff, and many people almost missed their flight. Doubt I will ever go back. Just not worth the hassle.

What many on here don't realise is that people overseas don't hear of what's happening in some places here. They just have friends who have been on holiday to Thailand and loved it. Every single person I know who came to Thailand for a holiday loved it and all of them want to come back. That's the reality of the situation. They aren't expats, they're tourists. And they love Thailand. USA tourists are probably glad to get away from all the murders in their own country.

• Like 1

Absolutely correct....maybe all those BBC ads for AMAZING, MIRACLE YEAR, and now UNBEATABLE Thailand actually work ?

Of course. Combined with cheap airfares, direct flights, cheap accommodation, and most tourists don't read the TV forum to get the in depth analysis of scams.

Edited by BookMan

the system should be simplified, without the need for an arrival/departure card.

in the EU (shengen countries) there is no border control, towards that direction AEC should be going as well

But most people arrive from outside AEC, so wouldn't make much difference.

will it interface with local immigration so they know your 90 day report has started afresh? question based on improbability of 90 day reporting being abolished

Would be nice if it did. And then they sent you an email when it was nearly 90 days and asked you to click a box online to confirm your address is the same. Most immigration stuff could be computerised and made very easy.

So no passport stamp.....how will people know they have not made a mistake in the date as they often do now.

Good question

They will be tourists and will get on their return flight they have booked. I doubt any tourist has to check their passport in order remember to leave.

I haven't been through any airport that runs a no-arrival-card regime, so I am guessing here ......

I'm all for an easier life when travelling, but there are so many ways to make that happen apart from immigration delays. Security, check-in and bag-drop could all be streamlined a lot more than at present.

I have flown into two places with no arrival cards...Tel Aviv and Muscat. Neither place seems to be a hotbed of terrorism or otherwise overrun with international "bad boys".

I have never really understood arrival cards anyway...other than to give the kind officer bullet items to quiz the arriving passenger about.

• Like 1