Pattaya, Home Of The Broken Dream… Or Utopia

webfact

Pattaya, Home of the broken dream… or Utopia

By Staff Reporter

PATTAYA: -- Life couldnt get much worse for one homeless Thai man, and one German Ex pat, both of whom ended their days this week.

Police officers found the 50 year old Thai , after he had been seen falling 5 metres from a pierside balcony on Pattaya’s Beach Road.. The man, from Pathumthani, was a scavenger, one of those folk who collect rubbish for recycling.

He is also reported to have been an alcoholic. He probably didnt feel a thing when he fell, as police say he was drunk at the time.

In the same week, a German man took his own life, again alone, in a small appartment in Pattaya. He too had so many friends in life that it was days before anyone found his body.

And then only as neighbours noticed an unpleasant smell. At his side too, police found a bottle of booze and little else.

Sadly its not only the dreams of some foreigners that are crushed in Pattaya, but also those of many Thais who come to the brightly lit city which, they have been told, has streets paved with gold, or at least walking ATMS.

Every year the exedus of people back to their home villages is equal to the number of newcomers who move to the city. its a constant flow, maintained by legend and exaggeration.

Often a dream fueled by the sight of new and expensive houses being built in backwater villages, by aging foreigners , in the names of local girls who have hooked a farang and have exchanged their tired tee shirts and somtam for bright dresses and steak.

Full story: http://www.pattaya10...ream-or-utopia/

-- pattaya103.com 2012-09-08

footer_n.gif

Paved streets of gold, walking ATM machines, yes the bright lights of Pattaya for the first time will make you feel like your in Wonka's chocolate factory, so many different flavors to taste, but as days turn into weeks and weeks turn into years its not all what its cracked up to be. Many foreigners come out here with a dream to make it on a budget that will not allow that dream to ever happen and eventually the music stops and after years of being in the land of smiles and no money in your pocket the walls start cave in and I guess there's 2 options go back to your home country broke and pathetic or take a leap off a tall building and hope heaven is like the first day you walked down walking street, or in some cases hell is not like the last day you walked down walking street. All good things eventually come to an end, the question is how long you can make it till your day comes.

Edited by 1717
  • Like 1

Sad stories but many people who stay home ALSO die sad and lonely deaths. I wouldn't really blame it on Pattaya. It's the human condition.

http://www.standard....nt-8096046.html

Absolutely correct.

When farangland life turns upside down we clutch at straws. l did. Many come to LOS for a last ditch look for something. For many, they don't find it, and we know the/their consequences.

I take my hat off to these guys as l am/was one of them. thumbsup.gif RIP, you did your best.

• Like 1

When i first came to Pattaya it was fantastic ,later i had a buisness in Bangkok and again life was a blast ,bars,lots of different women , then it wasnt as much fun anymore and when i was over with clients they were out on the town and i stayed home watching tv . or talking to friends ,i later got married ,we lived in the UK and came back 7 years ago ,life is once again fantastic here in Pattaya ,but if anything happened to the wife and i was left here alone (my son is away in uni) i cant imagine living my old original life here.

I cannot understand the op.Pattaya is a place to live,and thats it.There are certain influences that can cloud somebodies judgement,but them sort of people will make mistakes anywhereAnybody who runsout of money s bad judgeent tooeither spending too much or not having enough to retire

Pattaya is just a place to live,the decision is do you monger and get drunkevery night or do u live like any normal human being but with bit of the chocolate shop

clap2.gif

Quote: Often a dream fueled by the sight of new and expensive houses being built in backwater villages, by aging foreigners

I have just never seen an aging foreigner building new and expensive houses anywhere in Thailand. And what is a "backwater village"?

Life is what you make it here or there and suicide is only a state of mind. Yes it can get lonely and hard to live here but when it gets to the jumping point there are many options to change your life such as being busy by helping in local charities or even going to live life in a temple and becoming a Monk. Neither choice is easy due to work permits, visas etc. but doing the foot-work will at least keep you busy until you reach your destination and it is better then the alternative.

I myself have been Suicidal here and in my home country. My brother actually went through with it back in Canada not long ago so I know the state of minds however I fought and made it through and am alive to comfort my niece and nephew now.

PLEASE to anyone out there with these intentions, try harder and just make changes in your life and all will be good.

Quote: Often a dream fueled by the sight of new and expensive houses being built in backwater villages, by aging foreigners

I have just never seen an aging foreigner building new and expensive houses anywhere in Thailand. And what is a "backwater village"?

Life is what you make it here or there and suicide is only a state of mind. Yes it can get lonely and hard to live here but when it gets to the jumping point there are many options to change your life such as being busy by helping in local charities or even going to live life in a temple and becoming a Monk. Neither choice is easy due to work permits, visas etc. but doing the foot-work will at least keep you busy until you reach your destination and it is better then the alternative.

I myself have been Suicidal here and in my home country. My brother actually went through with it back in Canada not long ago so I know the state of minds however I fought and made it through and am alive to comfort my niece and nephew now.

PLEASE to anyone out there with these intentions, try harder and just make changes in your life and all will be good.

"I have just never seen an aging foreigner building new and expensive houses anywhere in Thailand. And what is a "backwater village"?"

You need to get out a bit more, try taking HW2 to Korat, after that hang a right onto the 24, plenty of "backwater villages" up there, plenty of "aging foreigner" being suckered into building a house for their "princess".

I dont know if "Bulldozer Man" from Buriram is still a regular on here or not, he can provide further details.

"I have just never seen an aging foreigner building new and expensive houses anywhere in Thailand. And what is a "backwater village"?"

You need to get out a bit more, try taking HW2 to Korat, after that hang a right onto the 24, plenty of "backwater villages" up there, plenty of "aging foreigner" being suckered into building a house for their "princess".

I dont know if "Bulldozer Man" from Buriram is still a regular on here or not, he can provide further details.

You do realize this is a "Pattaya News Clipping" and not a Essarn clipping right?

The point is that when you live abroad, in a cold country among cold people, you tend to regard Pattaya as Utopia, or rather as a place in which you can find that dream lifestyle which actually exists in your mind. So, little by little by, you persuade yourself that whatever may happen to you in your own land, you can always rely on Pattaya to start your life again from scratch.

Once you have been in Pattaya for a considerable amount of time, on the other hand, you realize that reality is different. Life is always hard and money still plays a big role in any relationship you may establish. So, no matter how many girls you might have, you end up feeling alone. Of course, once your money is over, the party is over too and you find yourself alone and broke in a far land.

• Like 1