Chuwit Gets 5 Years Jail For Bangkok Bar Demolition Raid

webfact

I remember this day, was living on soi 11 at the time, came around the corner for a coffee at the French sounding cafe place where sofitel now sits and across the street it was gone. didnt even move out pool tables, tvs, fridges or bar stock, just bull-dozed everything in site.

Well I hope he was required to compensate the owners for thier building, fittings and stock that he destroyed now that he was found guilty of wrong doing.

If Chuwit acted outside the law then he must be punished for that, but don't start feeling sorry for all the bar owners. They were squatters and occupying land where the lease had run out. The owner of the land is perfectly entitled to have their land back to do with whatever they want and the bar owners had said 'no' (in much more colourful words). The bar owners had been given notice, in the UK the baliffs would move in and clear the land, here they got a heavy mob in. Same same only slightly different.

Fair enough then from what you say he had every right to act as he did to remove these people from his land. It was before my time in Thailand and I have been duely corrected.wai.gif

Chuwit had chancelled the lease and he had waited quite some time on the leaseholder should cleare the land 8here i think we talk about years) but the leaseholder did not pay Chuwit, nor did he clear the land, he continued leasing it out to bar owners !

The bar owners thought they had a valid lease ! But they had NOT ! (i kew a couple of them, and they know it was comming, maybe not so drastic) !

So some here mean it is oK for a leaseholder not to clear the land when his lease is finished ?

Also thinking it is OK for him to lease it out to others and cash in ther money (with him not paying any lease at all, as it had been chancelled) !

The only thing in this case there is wrong, is the way Chuwit cleared the land !

Had he surrounded it with barbwire and put up gaurds, so people could get in and take their things had all been OK !

But these guys who Chuwit had leased out to was not god best boys, so that would properly had enden up in a mini war !!

So now may Chuwit try to get a less punisment he can ! (in real countries, people can only appeal 1-2 times)

Regardless how much you liked the soi 10 bar scene, Chuwit's razing was justified as the bar owners were just greedy squatters whose lease had expired and refused to leave on land that was being sold. The razing was perhaps the most rational solution to solve a chaotic problem handled in the Thai way which has been repeated over and over elsewhere in Thailand. Immediately after the incident, Thaksin condemned the razing and vowed to find and prosecute those involved. The supreme court ruling should be interesting.

greedy squatters?

to my recollection the leases had not expired, they were illegally extended and sub leased out by the lessee. The "squatters" believed they had valid leases.

As for the razing being a rational solution (we are not even going to discuss the legality of the issue because the verdict already establishes that), your remark strikes me akin to saying murder is a ration solution to a messy divorce.

Anyways, its not all bad, Bangkok now has a lovely park that is open for two whole hours every morning and evening.

I get to explain almost daily to a 5 year old as we walk home from school why we can go in.

Glad you pointed this out to the utterly misinformed.

People, get it? People lost their investments and livelihoods, without warning or recourse. Foolish, uninformed comments have no place in this discussion.

All bar owners know there was a day comming, i did know a couple there, and the romours was out everyday, they expected something to happend any day !

So to say they had lost their business etc is not right, they had a cheap lease, they know that the "mafia" midle man was just cashing in, and no one would go up against him and his mob !!

As i remember was the war on words also goin on in the medias etc.

But all know that something was comming.

All was also allowed in to take their inventory, as it was mainly on the bulding structures there was damaged !

• Like 1

It's a little frustrating for the landowner. Getting people off your land, who you do not want there, or have no right to be there can be a long drawn out process, usually at your own expense.

Personally, even though he got caught, I think Chuwit, and many others since, have done the only thing that can short circuit years of costly, and time consuming court appearances, just to get back what is theirs.

If I had squatters, or illegal tenants on my land, I would not hesitate to have them removed in the early hours of the morning.

• Like 2

Hope that this scum losses his appeal and end s up in jail with some other inmates finishing him off.....this guy was once selling girls including underaged girls from neighbouring countries and yet Thais voted him in. I also hope that someday somebody would send his kids to work in a brothel. Simply filth along with the media and people who support him.

Running brothels and facing criminal charges he must of had one magnificent P.R machine behind him to get elected.

Not at all. Sadly the masses here look up to this type of scum for being so 'clever'.

Chuwit had chancelled the lease and he had waited quite some time on the leaseholder should cleare the land 8here i think we talk about years) but the leaseholder did not pay Chuwit, nor did he clear the land, he continued leasing it out to bar owners !

The bar owners thought they had a valid lease ! But they had NOT ! (i kew a couple of them, and they know it was comming, maybe not so drastic) !

Is the correct answer.

Another convicted criminal MP... how many more can Thailand add to it's ranks? Does anyone have any statistics for the % of Thai MPs that are convicted criminals?

Thailand's legal and political systems are international jokes.

Chuwit was granted bail pending a review by the Supreme Court. As an MP carrying out his duty during a parliamentary session, he was not required to post any collateral.

So having been found guilty and sentenced to 5 years jail he walks scot free until such a time as he can leverage the verdict in his favour once more, sending a clear message to the Thai populace that the elite are beyond justice and crime is only punishable if you are not wealthy or powerful.

To those that sympathise with Chuwit over this issue perhaps you have been in Thailand too long, your moral compasses seem to have drifted off course. Quite understandable really, we tend to adjust to fit our environment I guess...

Chuwit became an MP after the crime was committed but before he was convicted, a smart move on his part I reckon.

Chuwit did it because the sick system in Thailand do not help people in this situation !

You had not been so long i think, most of us have heard about people who own some land, suddenly they see some who had moved in and camped on their land, but here in Thailand you can not just kick them out, they will claim that their family had lived there for so and so many years, even all know they moved in last month, but the court system works so slow, that it will easy take 10 years before you have a court who say you can move them, then if you do it to hard your are blamed for that too !

So would you like some use your property without your aproval ???

No of course not, so therefore can we support Chuwit in what he did (no one was heart, only structures was smashed, inventory was mostly saved and people was allowed to pick it up later) !

I would use another methode, spraying pig manure all over my land at night !!! (but not so easy in Soi 10 Sukhumvit ) !

Chuwit became an MP after the crime was committed but before he was convicted, a smart move on his part I reckon.

Chuwit did it because the sick system in Thailand do not help people in this situation !

You had not been so long i think, most of us have heard about people who own some land, suddenly they see some who had moved in and camped on their land, but here in Thailand you can not just kick them out, they will claim that their family had lived there for so and so many years, even all know they moved in last month, but the court system works so slow, that it will easy take 10 years before you have a court who say you can move them, then if you do it to hard your are blamed for that too !

No of course not, so therefore can we support Chuwit in what he did (no one was heart, only structures was smashed, inventory was mostly saved and people was allowed to pick it up later) !

I would use another methode, spraying pig manure all over my land at night !!! (but not so easy in Soi 10 Sukhumvit ) !

Yes, poor Chuwit with rent paying "squatters" on his land, land paid for and bought off the backs of illegal prostitution. What a stand up guy! With an estimated annual revenue of 1 billion baht from his illegal enterprises he really is a model politician. We should all feel sympathy for this guy, he worked so hard to build his criminal empire and turn his image as a Pimp to one of crime fighting vigilante politician. What a role model to the Thai youth.

• Like 2

It's a little frustrating for the landowner. Getting people off your land, who you do not want there, or have no right to be there can be a long drawn out process, usually at your own expense.

Personally, even though he got caught, I think Chuwit, and many others since, have done the only thing that can short circuit years of costly, and time consuming court appearances, just to get back what is theirs.

If I had squatters, or illegal tenants on my land, I would not hesitate to have them removed in the early hours of the morning.

Dodgy past for sure, but the bloke should be given a medal for demolishing that eyesore.

If he had just had a bit more time, he could have knocked over a few other crap holes.

• Like 2

He needs to go to jail, what he did to the livelyhood of those bar owners was a disgrace, plus, he flattened my local and one of the best pool bars in Bangkok. For anyone who isn't aware he basically hired the army to flatten the block whilst the BIB stood by and let it happen.

A lot of the girls and other employees lost Id cards and othe valuables

Yes, poor Chuwit with rent paying "squatters" on his land, land paid for and bought off the backs of illegal prostitution. What a stand up guy! With an estimated annual revenue of 1 billion baht from his illegal enterprises he really is a model politician. We should all feel sympathy for this guy, he worked so hard to build his criminal empire and turn his image as a Pimp to one of crime fighting vigilante politician. What a role model to the Thai youth.

Let him pay for his crimes, but in all honesty, it takes a thief to catch a thief and nobody else out there is interested in bringing the multitude of corrupt politicians to account. I would give him a classic plea bargain, he will be in the clear if in the next 5 years he can bring down the top 200 corrupt politicians in Thailand. He knows them all, he knows how they work, he knows every dirty trick in the business, and for some reason he seems to be 'born again' (maybe he is worried about Karma), make him useful and bring down the corrupt.

The plot is the corner of sukhumvit and Soi 10 !

Now Chuwit Park !

He owns it and paid for the park.

The reason for that he want them of the land was, that he wanted to develope it, but because so many said he was only greedy, he decided to give the Bangkok people a Park !

Open all day for every body.

Yes, he had some massage parlours, a little statistic, prostetution between foreigners and Thais is only about 10% of all prostetution in Thailand, so how many do you think is involved ?

He ran massage parlours same way as thousand others did !

Now he think he is convereted to be a honest man, and do quite a good job in fight corruption, so at leat he do a littele to Thailand now, all the others dosen't !

What about all these who had been stealing national park land ??? You all enjoy to stay at their resorts/hotels etc.

• Like 1

What is on the site now? GPS co- ords?

chuwit park.

open from 6 am till 8:30am then 5:30 until 8pm (or something ridiculous to that effect).

A real boon to the community.

chuvit garden 2002-2011.kmz

google earth file showing the site from 2002 - 2011. must have google earth to view

it actually grew in quite quickly, too bad i have never actually succeeded in setting foot in the park. I believe chuwit lives next door, but not sure.

The plot is the corner of sukhumvit and Soi 10 !

Now Chuwit Park !

He owns it and paid for the park.

The reason for that he want them of the land was, that he wanted to develope it, but because so many said he was only greedy, he decided to give the Bangkok people a Park !

Open all day for every body.

Yes, he had some massage parlours, a little statistic, prostetution between foreigners and Thais is only about 10% of all prostetution in Thailand, so how many do you think is involved ?

He ran massage parlours same way as thousand others did !

Now he think he is convereted to be a honest man, and do quite a good job in fight corruption, so at leat he do a littele to Thailand now, all the others dosen't !

What about all these who had been stealing national park land ??? You all enjoy to stay at their resorts/hotels etc.

no it is not. open mornings and evenings for a total of about 4 hours a day.

He needs to go to jail, what he did to the livelyhood of those bar owners was a disgrace, plus, he flattened my local and one of the best pool bars in Bangkok. For anyone who isn't aware he basically hired the army to flatten the block whilst the BIB stood by and let it happen.

A lot of the girls and other employees lost Id cards and othe valuables

Why did their iD cards lay back in closed bars ?? (it was late at night they came) !!

If they had asked for it, they was allowed in to pickup their thingsw, hundred others was allowed that !!

As i wrote before, all know that something was underway, the war had gone on for quite some time before he made the raid (years) so they have no excuse !

Chuwit was not out after all the bar owners, he actually tried to convince them that they had to pay the lease to him, but they did not, even Chuwit could prove the land blonged to him and that the lease on it was chancelled !

So how can bar owners later come and say they was hurt badly ??? (they got back all their inventory, stock, personally belongings etc.)

It was wood sheds, not houses there was on the plot !!

• Like 1

Let him pay for his crimes, but in all honesty, it takes a thief to catch a thief and nobody else out there is interested in bringing the multitude of corrupt politicians to account. I would give him a classic plea bargain, he will be in the clear if in the next 5 years he can bring down the top 200 corrupt politicians in Thailand. He knows them all, he knows how they work, he knows every dirty trick in the business, and for some reason he seems to be 'born again' (maybe he is worried about Karma), make him useful and bring down the corrupt.

In clarification of the earlier post, from what I heard whilst frequenting those bars years ago, one of the bar owners told me they were paying rent to the squatter landlord, who in fact was not Chuwit's employee. The squatter landlord was culling rents and had no rights to the land at all. Chuwit tried to get the guy to pay up but apparently was refused. Chuwit seeing no alternative hiked his army buddies early (about 3:00 in the morning) and trashed the place. Everything including pool tables sound systems etc, all gone.

There was such an outcry at the time he countered with the Govt to donate the making of the park, which he did. But no-one ever asked how he had enough money in the first place to purchase half a city block of prime real estate! If that came from illegal activities such as his massage parlour businesses, then by all means "som num na". But then he ended up on a personal crusade against corruption? Did the guy just do a back flip, or is this really about getting back at the other corrupt guys in his 'alleged' Black Book?

Ah the intricacies of Thai politics and corruption. Make a great screenplay of an ongoing soap.

to my recollection the leases had not expired, they were illegally extended and sub leased out by the lessee. The "squatters" believed they had valid leases.

I think your recollection is right about middlemen extending fake leases. But also recall there were signs posted that any such leases were illegal and everyone had to leave with lots of very strong language. So anyone who paid for fake leases or otherwise continued to operate did so knowing full well they were in the wrong and of what might lie ahead.

As for the razing being a rational solution (we are not even going to discuss the legality of the issue because the verdict already establishes that), your remark strikes me akin to saying murder is a ration solution to a messy divorce.

No, razing action was inevitable whether by Chuwit or the authorities after a court battle that might still be ongoing to this day meanwhile the greedy bars operate illegally and the greedy middlemen collect fake rent and the rightful landowner gets screwed by this mob the whole time. As far as I can see, thumbs up to Chuwit.

Does anybody see the parallel between the way that Chuwit made his money and the way that the bar owners made theirs? Same same, but on a much larger scale?

Chuwit will not be taken out since he has made it known that he has videos and documentary proofs hidden away to be released in the event of his untimely demise. I am sure that there are many members here who were customers at one or more of Chuwits establishments. Maybe Chuwit has an 'on the road to Damascus' experience? God loves those who truly repent.

I would not rule out the possibility that Chuwit will go down. If he releases information about the activities of phu yais when still drawing breath he loses his trump card and no doubt he will stop breathing shortly afterwards.

Hope that this scum losses his appeal and end s up in jail with some other inmates finishing him off.....this guy was once selling girls including underaged girls from neighbouring countries and yet Thais voted him in. I also hope that someday somebody would send his kids to work in a brothel. Simply filth along with the media and people who support him.

Running brothels and facing criminal charges he must of had one magnificent P.R machine behind him to get elected.

Not a brothel - Massage parlour silly

Dodgy past for sure, but the bloke should be given a medal for demolishing that eyesore.

If he had just had a bit more time, he could have knocked over a few other crap holes.

Pataya?