Bike Insurance A Good Deal?

yankee99

One thing that stands out is that it is only 100,000 baht bail bond, it is recommended that foreigners here carry at least 200,000 baht bail bond, so this product is aimed at the Thai owners of bikes.

I agree and my auto carries 200k i am not sure if any of my previous bike insurance had bail bond....

We just started selling this policy here at the shop. It is done through Asia Plus. They are a reputable company and you won't have any problems dealing with them. It is a great option for owners of smaller bikes looking for coverage.

Do you have an English version of the brochure Brian?

We just started selling this policy here at the shop. It is done through Asia Plus. They are a reputable company and you won't have any problems dealing with them. It is a great option for owners of smaller bikes looking for coverage.

No, but I'll have Pam translate it. I'll try to get it posted here tomorrow.

I made this insurance for my two scooters. Here the scanned details (insurance paper) i got from asiainsurance. I have tried to translate it. In the second column there is some diagonal writing (Point 1, 2 and 3) that i do not understand 100%. Maybe someone can help? Please correct me if there is something wrong. Thanks.

Third Party Liability (first column)

1) Bodily injury that exceed the amount under the Compulsory Act only:

300,000 Baht/Person

10,000,000 Baht/Accident

2) Property Damage

600,000 Baht/Accident

2.1) Deductible

0 Baht

Own Damage, Theft and Fire (second column, diagonal writing)

1) Own Damage (only accidents on streets; no "water accidents"...)

10,000 Baht/Accident

2) Deductible

1,000 Baht/Accident

3) ???

Coverage as per endorsements (third column)

1.1) Loss of Life, Dismemberment, Permanent Diability

Driver 1 Person 50,000 Baht

Passenger 1 Person 50,000 Baht

1.2) Temporary Disability

Not Covered

2) Medical Expenses

Not Covered

3) Bail Bond

100,000 Baht

post-129800-0-23759400-1347622354_thumb.

In the documents i got from asiainsurance there is another paper. I guess it is explaining details for the repair payment of the own bike (up to 10,000 Baht). Or does it explain details for all payments? I am not sure. Maybe someone can help?

As far as i understand they only pay in case of a collision with other street vehicles.

They do not pay (repair of own bike?) in case of

- collision with houses, power poles, animals, people, ...

- collision with parts of road works

- damage caused by swerving maneuvers

- you just let your bike drop

- collision with water vehicles(?)

post-129800-0-54176100-1347690357_thumb.

I made this insurance for my two scooters. Here the scanned details (insurance paper) i got from asiainsurance. I have tried to translate it. In the second column there is some diagonal writing (Point 1, 2 and 3) that i do not understand 100%. Maybe someone can help? Please correct me if there is something wrong. Thanks.

Third Party Liability (first column)

1) Bodily injury that exceed the amount under the Compulsory Act only:

300,000 Baht/Person

10,000,000 Baht/Accident

2) Property Damage

600,000 Baht/Accident

2.1) Deductible

0 Baht

Own Damage, Theft and Fire (second column, diagonal writing)

1) Own Damage (only accidents on streets; no "water accidents"...)

10,000 Baht/Accident

2) Deductible

1,000 Baht/Accident

3) ???

Coverage as per endorsements (third column)

1.1) Loss of Life, Dismemberment, Permanent Diability

Driver 1 Person 50,000 Baht

Passenger 1 Person 50,000 Baht

1.2) Temporary Disability

Not Covered

2) Medical Expenses

Not Covered

3) Bail Bond

100,000 Baht

I believe the coverage amounts for your bike are as follows.

Third Party liability

Bodily injury: 200,000 baht per person / 10,000,000 per accident

Property damage: 500,000 baht per accident

Own damage, theft and fire

Own damage: 52,800

Theft/fire: 52,800

Personal accident

Loss of life, dismemberment, permanent disability: 100,000 baht for both driver and passenger

Medical expenses: 100,000 baht (driver) 50,000 baht (passenger)

Bail bond/accident: 200,000 baht

In the documents i got from asiainsurance there is another paper. I guess it is explaining details for the repair payment of the own bike (up to 10,000 Baht). Or does it explain details for all payments? I am not sure. Maybe someone can help?

As far as i understand they only pay in case of a collision with other street vehicles.

Everything above would be covered either by the property damage clause or the own damage clause.

Those water delivery trucks are dangerous as the are overloaded and driven by inexperienced drivers. I have had one accident involving one and am scared of the rest but I think you will find that water refers to damage by flood or driving into a river..

Here are the policy details in English.

Own Damage

Not more than 10,000 per accident

Medical Coverage

Rider - Max 50,000 Passenger - Max 50,000

Property Damage

Max of 600,000 per accident

Third Person Coverage

300,000 per person with a max of 10,000,000 per accident

Bail Bond

100,000 baht

*Available for all models regardless of age.

Own Damage

Medical Coverage

Property Damage

Third Person Coverage

Bail Bond

100,000 baht

I am a bit confused on own damage. Is his bike insured for 10,000 if stolen? This seems low but he doesnt specify what type of bikes he is insuring?

@ SumetCycle:

Brian, you are confusing this with my first class insurance for the CBR.

@all:

All my statements were made for the insurance the OP mentioned in the first post (3+ insurance from company "asiainsurance" for 1,699 Baht). The documents i have posted are original documents i got for this insurance.

I am a bit confused on own damage. Is his bike insured for 10,000 if stolen? This seems low but he doesnt specify what type of bikes he is insuring?

As i have written, damage on the own bike is only covered for accidents with other street vehicles involved (collisions). No theft, fire, water, bike drop, etc.. At least this is how i understand the policy smile.png

I made this 3+ insurance (see first post of the thread) for my two scooters (Yamaha Nouvo and Yamaha Fiore). My CBR150 has first class insurance.

Those water delivery trucks are dangerous as the are overloaded and driven by inexperienced drivers. I have had one accident involving one and am scared of the rest but I think you will find that water refers to damage by flood or driving into a river..

thumbsup.gif

Yep this is why i made a question mark. Or maybe if you use a ferry or taxi boat with your bike, or if you fall down from a bridge onto a boat, who knows.

Everything above would be covered either by the property damage clause or the own damage clause.

Just to make it clear. I was talking about these two documents that i got from asiainsurance for the 3+ insurance the OP was asking about:

post-129800-0-23759400-1347622354_thumb.

post-129800-0-54176100-1347690357_thumb.

As far as i understand the second document describes exclusions from payments. Anyone here who is good in reading thai and who can enlighten us?

Just to make it clear. I was talking about these two documents that i got from asiainsurance for the 3+ insurance the OP was asking about:

As far as i understand the second document describes exclusions from payments. Anyone here who is good in reading thai and who can enlighten us?

I will have the wife read it in the am...

@ SumetCycle:

Brian, you are confusing this with my first class insurance for the CBR.

@all:

All my statements were made for the insurance the OP mentioned in the first post (3+ insurance from company "asiainsurance" for 1,699 Baht). The documents i have posted are original documents i got for this insurance.

Yes, I was. Sorry about that.

Own Damage

Medical Coverage

Property Damage

Third Person Coverage

Bail Bond

100,000 baht

There is no provision for theft in this policy. You have to purchase a separate policy for that.

As SumetCycle said, this insurance is a good deal for small motorbikes (scooters). Its cheap and offers good protection for third party liability claims. Not more not less. If you need theft insurance or need insurance for yourself (own hospital bills, damage on own motorbike, ...) than maybe you should consider other insurances or a separate policy.

This insurance does not cover your own medical expenses (hospital bills). And bail bond is only 100,000 Baht, which could be not enough in bad accidents for foreigners.

As SumetCycle said, this insurance is a good deal for small motorbikes (scooters). Its cheap and offers good protection for third party liability claims. Not more not less. If you need theft insurance or need insurance for yourself (own hospital bills, damage on own motorbike, ...) than maybe you should consider other insurances or a separate policy.

This insurance does not cover your own medical expenses (hospital bills). And bail bond is only 100,000 Baht, which could be not enough in bad accidents for foreigners.

RE READ....It says Rider 50000baht.

RE READ....It says Rider 50000baht.

But not for hospital bills. 50,000 Baht for Loss of Life, Dismemberment or Permanent Disability of the rider. Same for one passenger. Together not more than 100,000 Baht (e.g. both dead). OK, you are right, it has something to do with hospital if they cut of your leg. But 50,000Baht wouldn't make this much better imo. It is a third party insurance. Better not rely on it with your own damage or you may be sorry.

I just had a look at the policy and it is

• only a maximum of 10,000 baht cover on damages to your own bike
  • 50,000 baht for disability, no medical cover (max 100,000 cover for 2 people)
  • 600,00 baht 3rd party property, most polices are 5 or 10 million here
  • 300,000 baht 3rd party medical cover with a total of 10 million.
  • Bail Bond 100,000 baht

Seems the CTPL covers more than this policy does.

I just had a look at the policy and it is

• only a maximum of 10,000 baht cover on damages to your own bike
  • 50,000 baht for disability, no medical cover (max 100,000 cover for 2 people)
  • 600,00 baht 3rd party property, most polices are 5 or 10 million here
  • 300,000 baht 3rd party medical cover with a total of 10 million.
  • Bail Bond 100,000 baht

Seems the CTPL covers more than this policy does.

please let all of us know where we can get a 5-10 million baht liability policy for 1700 baht....

• 4 months later...

And bail bond is only 100,000 Baht, which could be not enough in bad accidents for foreigners.

A few people in this thread have said 100,000 baht is not enough for bail bond for foreigners. So i'd like to ask has any foreigner in here had to pay more than 100,000 bail bond for causing an accident while driving a little 110cc scooter, or are we simply going with the logic that the higher the coverage the better?

Edited by ZXM
  • Like 1