Residence Certificate / Proof Of Residence

I am trying to open an account with a U.S. brokerage and because Thailand is not a full member of the Financial Action Task Force, the usual bank statement is not acceptable as proof of address. Utilities and all the other acceptable stuff are in my wife's name. Mobile phone bills are not accepted.

I have a yellow tabien ban issued over 2 years ago. The documents deemed acceptable are required to be less than 12 months old, and even if they agree to accept the yellow tabien ban, it would have to be translated and notarised in whatever form acceptable.

I'm thinking of going to Chaeng Wattana for a Residence Certificate, but if that document is in Thai, I would be faced with the same issue of translation etc.

Has anyone had experience in this matter? Is the Residence Certificate all in Thai or bilingual?

How about using the notarized statement from the U.S. Embassy? Ain't cheap, but since it'd be from the Embassy, should be fine for purposes in the U.S.

http://bangkok.usemb...l-services.html

If you go, don't forget to make an appointment, walk-ins not allowed now except for real emergencies.

Mac

Sorry, I am not an American.

Edit: I see documents that are to be used in The States can be notarised. Might be an option. I would need to establish what they would accept as proof of address.

Edited by DavidS

Well, then, use your Embassy, they probably have the same deal as it's common for getting a Thai driving license, visa extension, etc.

Mac

Just spoke to the embassy and indeed they will issue the letter. Hopefully that will satisfy the brokerage.

Thank you.