Skip The Shangrila Buffet On Saturday For Now

LawrenceChee

Went there last night for dinner 599baht nett with 10% discount for being a member.

Have to share it may be better to skip out for a few weeks on Saturdays

They had the BBQ yesterday with satay prawns lamb and beef available for all you can eat. The lamb and shrimps were not fresh and the beef was simply the best choice as the chicken satay was nothing special

Spoke to the chef and they are in the midst of a menu change for their Saturday options and training their chefs up for the new selections and it showed.

He was also apologetic about the quality of the shrimp and lamb which I showed him an promised to follow up with the suppliers

For me yesterday the dessert was the only consistent good thing ...thats sad :-(

I would say for those that love shangrila stick to their wed & Friday all you can eat seafood options much better value and quality

Good of you to finally find somewhere to offer criticism., though at 600bt a verbal apology wouldnt have cut with me. It would have been a drastic bill reduction and a free coffee at the very least.

but then again I wouldnt pay 600bt to eat out all week.

Heya hellodolly

I seem to be gathering the foodies out there who are not interested in the street stalls ...but I started one on those who love street food abd have placed my Khao soy recommendation there

this forum shares the info out quickly ...price was 599nett for shangrila but I recommend the wednesday and Friday

As for hamburgers I don't eat much of that since I am in Asia but if I have to choose Johnny Rockets and Carl Juniors are great for me ...not here in CM yet though ...I miss the dancing cafe attendants at JR !

Heya hellodolly

I seem to be gathering the foodies out there who are not interested in the street stalls ...but I started one on those who love street food abd have placed my Khao soy recommendation there

this forum shares the info out quickly ...price was 599nett for shangrila but I recommend the wednesday and Friday

As for hamburgers I don't eat much of that since I am in Asia but if I have to choose Johnny Rockets and Carl Juniors are great for me ...not here in CM yet though ...I miss the dancing cafe attendants at JR !

Yes I read your post on 50 baht and down. I noticed a lot of them had ones with higher than 50 baht prices. My favorite one was the one full of Banngkok hi so's at a 79 baht diner. I was thinking if that is where the hi so's go I wonder if it is a 129 baht diner for the Bangkok elite.

Never heard of those hamburger joints.

baht

It is obvious that Mr. Chee likes good food and his reports on restaurants and his opinion of them are appreciated by me. Those who would not pay 600 bahts for a meal are obviously those who do not enjoy good food or those who cannot afford to pay the higher prices. Which is fine. But some of us can,do and will

• Like 2

Hellodolly

Could I ask what nationality are u ? Then I may be able to recommend a burger joint u like ...

Hamburger sounds like USA ?

Cheers

Lawrence

biggrin.png good one

Actually I am a Yank who lived out of the states more than in it. Got to thinking it over and realized you were probably talking about Carlos JR. Been a long time since I was in that part of the country, but they used to have one for low carb eaters used letuce. Actually they were good tasting.

You are right a bout it being a western food. But so is sea food and I see you have no problem with posting about that. I am actually going to give the Shangrala a shot at it for their sea food buffet. I had been there once before and pretty well written them off the food was not that big a variety unless you liked pizza. And the dishes I really liked they kept very little on the table was not very impressed and wrote them off. Also there was not that many people there either. But you and another poster have both mentioned the sea food and both said the food was plenty so I will try them again. Also going to save my sheckles for the Chedi Indian buffet.

Other than the fact we are in Asia why do you steer away from hamburgers. The quality is the same as any thing else good or bad depends on what you start with how you store it and how you cook it. I have a friend who was a executive chef before he was 30 and he raves about a hamburger he found in Bangkok. Now he is a man who knows good and bad food.

It is obvious that Mr. Chee likes good food and his reports on restaurants and his opinion of them are appreciated by me. Those who would not pay 600 bahts for a meal are obviously those who do not enjoy good food or those who cannot afford to pay the higher prices. Which is fine. But some of us can,do and will

there are many meals i find difficult to cook at home for 600 baht, let alone eating out.

Hellodolly

Could I ask what nationality are u ? Then I may be able to recommend a burger joint u like ...

Hamburger sounds like USA ?

Cheers

Lawrence

biggrin.png good one

Actually I am a Yank who lived out of the states more than in it. Got to thinking it over and realized you were probably talking about Carlos JR. Been a long time since I was in that part of the country, but they used to have one for low carb eaters used letuce. Actually they were good tasting.

You are right a bout it being a western food. But so is sea food and I see you have no problem with posting about that. I am actually going to give the Shangrala a shot at it for their sea food buffet. I had been there once before and pretty well written them off the food was not that big a variety unless you liked pizza. And the dishes I really liked they kept very little on the table was not very impressed and wrote them off. Also there was not that many people there either. But you and another poster have both mentioned the sea food and both said the food was plenty so I will try them again. Also going to save my sheckles for the Chedi Indian buffet.

Other than the fact we are in Asia why do you steer away from hamburgers. The quality is the same as any thing else good or bad depends on what you start with how you store it and how you cook it. I have a friend who was a executive chef before he was 30 and he raves about a hamburger he found in Bangkok. Now he is a man who knows good and bad food.

Carl Jr has started to open shops in Resort areas as well as Bangkok. ate there a few weeks ago

Only time until they open a shop up here in CM

Now if only we could get a Taco Bell with Mt. Dew on tap Then I'm dooomed

• Like 1

Is the Shangri-la seafood buffet for dinner or lunch and can anyone recommend a good place for high tea?

The Seafood Buffet is a dinner at the Shangri La I was thinking Wednesday and Saturday nights but maybe I'm off a day

I hear the best high tea is at the Chedi Sorry if my spelling is off

Maybe Lawrence can confirm both for us ?

Heya

Hellodolly - Carl Junior and Johnny Rockets are USA franchise ...it's already in Bangkok so I guess it will not be long before it arrives at CM ! Enjoy the free dancing and quarter jukeboxes on the tables ..hopefully free for u if the waitress likes u like they have in the states

Lannarose - The seafood buffet is every Wednesday and Friday and I ...see other posting we had about a week ago on the selections available highly recommend this. This posting was about their BBQ Saturday night buffet which I would recommend stay away for now

Didn't check on credit card specials- sorry Lemanrus

High Tea - Shangrila and Chedi both have great sets. I recommend Chedi for the ambience and quality of service and products ...u can order the set which is about 400+ it comes with your choice of tea/coffee nice scones, sandwiches and hot savories and macaroons or u can order ala carte of u are a small eater

Jacktrip and all other detractors - I started a post for all of us to post our daily special places where we like to go for cheap and great eats ...please post your recommendations there .....your profile pic suggest you enjoy eating as much as I do...so I am sure you actually know your way around ...there have been some great recommendations there and I will be trying them this week ...

This posting is really for those who enjoy eating at places that will cost you more than a few hundred baht but have the quality and value to substantiate it ......and we are always on the lookout for more such places ... They eventually become a favorite treat or when we want to bring someone special there

I don't recommend you go to these places daily as it is impossible for anyone to do that :-)

• 2 months later...

Jeffrey

Mountain Dew on the way in Jan :-)

Whats this? At a Taco Bell or in cans/bottles?

Villa Market has reduced the price of a can of Mountain Dew from 48 baht to 29 baht last week, and I found several cans that were actually marked an astonishing 14.50B which I confirmed and paid.