U N Human Rights Commissioner Says Thailand Should Try Those Responsible For 2010 Deaths

webfact

UN HIGH COMMISSIONER FOR HUMAN RIGHTS

Thailand should try those responsible for 2010 deaths

30190706-01.jpeg

Pillay

NEW YORK: -- Thailand has the responsibility to bring tojustice those responsible for the deaths of 92 people during massdemonstrations in 2010, the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Navi Pillay said Tuesday.

A report by the Truth and Reconciliation Commission of Thailand,which was set up by the government, concluded with "substantive findings backed by forensic evidence" and recommendations to bringthe perpetrators to justice, Pillay said in Geneva.

"In spite of its limited mandate and initial difficulties, the(Truth and Reconciliation Commission) has conducted an important investigation into political violence and human rights violations inThailand," Pillay said.

"The Royal Thai government now has the responsibility to act on the (commission’s) recommendations, both in holding state officialsto account and addressing the institutional weaknesses identified inthe report." Pillay called for the Thai government to preserve evidence and information gathered by the commission for the prosecution of the perpetrators.

In addition to the commission’s report on political violence in2010, Thailand’s National Human Rights Commission was expected tosoon release a detailed account of human rights violations, Pillay said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-09-19

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Recent events indicate that the momentum for serious inquiries, proper scrutiny of actions / decisions and perhaps indictments and court cases is building.

Perhaps some Dems and Generals might be getting a bit nervous.

Considering that the latest report finding concluded blame on both sides, why is it you only talk about the Dems and Generals getting nervous?

• Like 2

Recent events indicate that the momentum for serious inquiries, proper scrutiny of actions / decisions and perhaps indictments and court cases is building.

Haven't you read the news lately?

The only nervous people I have seen (after the report came out) are Thida, Chalerm and some other reds.

"Pillay called for the Thai government to preserve evidence and information gathered by the commission for the prosecution of the perpetrators.

"

Considering that the latest report finding concluded blame on both sides, why is it you only talk about the Dems and Generals getting nervous?

Actually I would be pleased to see those responsible from ALL sides in court, as this ( in my opinion ) is the only way the country can go forwards.

Like said, those from ALL sides.

So far it's only the reds, with luck that will change.

• Like 2

Actually I would be pleased to see those responsible from ALL sides in court, as this ( in my opinion ) is the only way the country can go forwards.

So do you think Thaksin might be getting a bit nervous?

I wish these people would pull their heads in - it is nothing to do with them, and why would they think they can solve anything by stirring the pot? As already stated - Reds started it, Army/Govt finished it, Reds fired first, Govt retaliated - people got killed whilst the "Police" stood by and watched/supported the Reds. Man oh man this is so screwed up!

great post, Asiawatcher, I could not agree more, thanks a lot and keep 'm coming!!

• Like 1

I think the generals will be fine. May be Suthep and Abhisit might join Thaksin in Dubai

• Like 1

So do you think Thaksin might be getting a bit nervous?

Don't know, only met him once.

Only met Av once also.

Don't bait.

And how about bringing to justice those behind the death of 78 Thai Muslims in Tak Bai in 2004 and the victims of Thaksin's war on drugs also in 2004.

Oh c'mon - there is a perfect justication for the government's actions, as outlined below:

"The government claimed that only around 50 of the deaths were at the hands of the police, the rest being drug traffickers who were being silenced by their dealers and their dealers' dealers. Human rights critics claimed a large number were extrajudicially executed".

Surely there must have been some dealers' dealers' dealers' involved in this 'lemming like' orgy of killing!!

Also, we are only talking about the death of 2,275 people with 1,400 unlucky civilians being in the wrong place at the wrong time - what was Thaksin's punishment following his pleas of "I ain't done nuffink wrong" (even though they actually admitted killing an absurdly low estimate of 50 people) ,,,,,OK, we believe you, off you go to wreak more havoc on Thailand!!!!

NB: in this obvious case of wrongdoing the humans rights critics claims amounted to 'naff all'!!!

• Like 1

I wish these people would pull their heads in - it is nothing to do with them, and why would they think they can solve anything by stirring the pot? As already stated - Reds started it, Army/Govt finished it, Reds fired first, Govt retaliated - people got killed whilst the "Police" stood by and watched/supported the Reds. Man oh man this is so screwed up!

That's impressive.

You've managed to put into less than forty words what the TRCC needed more than two hundred and forty pages to do.

Now that's what I call precis!

Edited by bigbamboo
  • Like 1

I seem to recall a comment by the Red Shirt sponsor Thaksin ''that the U.N. is not my father.''

Surely Thaksin and his acolytes must be duty bound to reject the call from the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Navi Pillay by telling us that now the U.N is not my mother either.whistling.gif

• Like 1

You have no idea what you are talking about

• Like 2

And how about bringing to justice those behind the death of 78 Thai Muslims in Tak Bai in 2004 and the victims of Thaksin's war on drugs also in 2004.

Talk about corruption the UN Commissioner for human rights Navi Pillay had not one word to say against the master mind behind all three of these events.

Kind of makes one wonder if there might not have been some envelopes changing hands.

Talk about corruption the UN Commissioner for human rights Navi Pillay had not one word to say against the master mind behind all three of these events.

Kind of makes one wonder if there might not have been some envelopes changing hands.

Errr, that's two.