Thai Govt Pins Hopes On Water-Flow Push Machines, Barriers To Beat The Floods

webfact

The photo below is no joke. It is the largest 'hydro dam' located in Virginia, in the USA.hydro2.gif

It's a large strong tube (of waterproof canvas or plastic?) filled with water.

Below is another concept, which could be useful for generating power throughout Thailand, on small scale: I'd like to build an experimental one. I know a wat by a large river which could get all its power from it, but I don't have funding. Thai gov't has 10,000 better ways to spend taxpayer money, like flying a group of politicians, deluxe accommodations, to London to watch a football game.

hydro-power-barges.jpg

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The photo below is no joke. It is the largest 'hydro dam' located in Virginia, in the USA.hydro2.gif

It's a large strong tube (of waterproof canvas or plastic?) filled with water.

Below is another concept, which could be useful for generating power throughout Thailand, on small scale: I'd like to build an experimental one. I know a wat by a large river which could get all its power from it, but I don't have funding. Thai gov't has 10,000 better ways to spend taxpayer money, like flying a group of politicians, deluxe accommodations, to London to watch a football game.

hydro-power-barges.jpg

But, but, but, putting all those pontoons and props in the river would slow it down surely.? If we add an engine and put a tiddly prop on it, it would speed it up, wouldn't it?

From what I understand, water flow can only be sped up by increasing the rate of discharge at a certain point (in a river, the mouth, dam etc). This creates a knock on effect through the system as the "higher" water has somewhere to go. The water travels from a higher concentration to a lesser one, much in the way high and low pressures work together to create wind: The greater the barometric pressure, the greater the wind speed. Pushing water, however, is like pushing a trolley into a trolley train at Tesco Lotus, you're going fast until you link up with the obstruction ahead.

From what I understand, water flow can only be sped up by increasing the rate of discharge at a certain point (in a river, the mouth, dam etc). This creates a knock on effect through the system as the "higher" water has somewhere to go. The water travels from a higher concentration to a lesser one, much in the way high and low pressures work together to create wind:

You're using science and logic. Remember, the people making the decisions about the flooding in the Chao Praya flood basin are adept at neither. The pushing water idea is a non-starter. Water will get pushed against essentially static water, or water that is moving at the pace of the river flow. So it will revert, within minutes, back to the ambient flow speed. The pushing water idea would only work in a confined space (a tube, for example), and even then it would need gargantuan turbines. It's great for sellers of fossil fuels and for boat operators who likely get paid to do a job which benefits no one. Rather like paying stockbrokers, who have no service or product, but wind up making a lot of money for doing essentially nothing.

I have been watching the river level here in Singburi very carefully and it is still just a shade over 10m.(this morning)

I have only been living here for 3 years but in the last two the river has at this time of the year been around 13m

That means the river is about 3m below last years flood level and still 1m below the natural river bank level (no flooding here)

Was thinking that what we have now is probably about normal river level for the wet season although I have no proof of this.

If this is correct why is there so much flooding in so many places at this time?

Has the flood protection work been put in the wrong place or is there some other reason?

I have been watching the river level here in Singburi very carefully and it is still just a shade over 10m.(this morning)

I have only been living here for 3 years but in the last two the river has at this time of the year been around 13m

That means the river is about 3m below last years flood level and still 1m below the natural river bank level (no flooding here)

Was thinking that what we have now is probably about normal river level for the wet season although I have no proof of this.

If this is correct why is there so much flooding in so many places at this time?

Has the flood protection work been put in the wrong place or is there some other reason?

Any explaination about floods of the Chao Phraya without putting the operational strategy of those two dams in the north as part of the overall flood control equations will fail miserably to reach the acurate conclusion. I mean it is impossible to come up with even a half acurate explaination.

Any solution for flood control for the Chao Phraya without looking at the valid operational strategy for those two dams in the north and a mean to store at least 4 billion cubic meters of flood waters at the central of the Chao Phraya will fail miserably too to get the desired result. That means those 500 boats can't replace these two important issues.

For this year, the operational strategy for those two dams in the north can score 50% mark. Full mark is 100%. For last year the score was 0% for both. 50% mark means it is very unlikely you are going to see the flood flow intensity as big as the last year's peak flood flow intensity in BKK, but you should expect to see many localized floods throughout a year. I have projected this likely scenario in one of my posts as early as in January this year.

The key issue about those two dams is they can alter the natural flow of the Chao Phraya over a medium term says 7 days to one year. The dams can make the biggest floods in 50 years dissapear just like that. This is a good news. Unfortunately the dams also can make 12-month average flow of 400 cubic meter per second to become 1,000 cubic meter per second. What can you expect what the localized storm waters could do to the Chao Phraya banks if it happens when the CP is dischargung 1,000 cubic meter per second? Yes. Chances that such storm to vioate the CP banks are bigger than as if the CP is discharging its natural average flow 400 cubic meter per second.

Any explaination about floods of the Chao Phraya without putting the operational strategy of those two dams in the north as part of the overall flood control equations will fail miserably to reach the acurate conclusion. I mean it is impossible to come up with even a half acurate explaination.

Any solution for flood control for the Chao Phraya without looking at the valid operational strategy for those two dams in the north and a mean to store at least 4 billion cubic meters of flood waters at the central of the Chao Phraya will fail miserably too to get the desired result. That means those 500 boats can't replace these two important issues.

For this year, the operational strategy for those two dams in the north can score 50% mark. Full mark is 100%. For last year the score was 0% for both. 50% mark means it is very unlikely you are going to see the flood flow intensity as big as the last year's peak flood flow intensity in BKK, but you should expect to see many localized floods throughout a year. I have projected this likely scenario in one of my posts as early as in January this year.

The key issue about those two dams is they can alter the natural flow of the Chao Phraya over a medium term says 7 days to one year. The dams can make the biggest floods in 50 years disappear just like that. This is a good news. Unfortunately the dams also can make 12-month average flow of 400 cubic meter per second to become 1,000 cubic meter per second. What can you expect what the localized storm waters could do to the Chao Phraya banks if it happens when the CP is discharging 1,000 cubic meter per second? Yes. Chances that such storm will vioate the CP banks are bigger than as if the CP is discharging its natural average flow, says at 400 cubic meter per second.