Windows Media Player Problem

sabaijai

For the last couple of days every time I try to play streaming content -- such as an Amazon audio preview - on Windows Media Player, I get a message saying the file can't be opened. I've gone through all the troubleshooting menus, looked at Tools/Options/Network and can't find the problem.

I have WMP 10, and tried re-installing but Windows won't let you re-install the same version. I haven't changed anything in my system lately so can't figure out what the problem is.

I'm thinking of downloading RealPlayer and using that instead. I used to use Real years ago but found that Media Player worked better for video in particular. By now Real is probably just as good if not better.

Anyone else have this problem?

All I ever use now is Real Player for all my videos (except DVDs where I use WinDVD). I have a media center PC hooked up to my Plasma screen and a wireless link to my main computer where I archive my video files. Never had a problem running any of my video downloads on Real.

Might be that your firewall is blocking it?

I use Norton IS, hadn't changed any settings lately but perhaps a live update did, so will give it a try without Norton enable to see what happens.

Now the problem is even if I click on the RealAudio icon to preview tunes on Amazon and elsewhere, Windows Media Player always pops up instead (and then doesn't work.)

Have you tried disabling all other players and making sure that media player is your default....??

As silly as this sounds, sometimes my computer allows access to other players and buggers everything else up.As soon as I put windows as default and disable the other ones it's back to streaming again.

Edited by chuchok

Have you tried disabling all other players and making sure that media player is your default....??

As silly as this sounds, sometimes my computer allows access to other players and buggers everything else up.As soon as I put windows as default and disable the other ones it's back to streaming again.

Originally WMP was my default. I didn't have any other players. When Media Player stopped working I installed RealPlayer, but every time I try to run something off the Internet, even where there's a choice of players, it always tries to run on Media Player. I tried uninstalling WMP but it turns out it can't be done, the best option is rolling back to earlier versions and that's it.

Now here's something odd. If I try to run RealAudio via MSIE it works fine. I neglected to mention my regular browser is Opera (been so for years). However I never had a problem with Opera at Media Player before.

Wish I could get rid of Media Player altogether at this point but that doesn't seem to be an option in Windows XP.

I had problems with internet radio using WMP10 and Opera myself recently. Not all the time, one day it would be fine, then for a couple of days nothing. I thought it might have been the firewall or proxy settings but nothing seemed to make a difference. I had to do a reformat the other week and went back to using WMP9 and haven't had a problem since so l'm leaving well enough alone for now.

RealPlayer is something l refuse to use as l've had problems in the past with it always trying to take over my computer. WMP and Quicktime cover everything l want to play anyway. :o

RealPlayer is something l refuse to use as l've had problems in the past with it always trying to take over my computer.

Curious as to what you mean here. I find RealPlayer (10 plus) quite innoculous compared to WMP. One of the reasons I stopped using WMP is I have so many videos in different formats (codecs) and it just can't handle them all while Real will. Another was a less busy interface (easier/simpler navigation) with Real. Possibly the older version was an adware version?

Tywais, l used to have a problem with all sorts of popups from RealPlayer wanting me to make RealPlayer the default player for this file and that file even if l had already assigned WMP as the default. Maybe it doesn't happen any longer but l'm not about to try it again as WMP does the job for me although l agree Real handles more file formats than WMP.

Bcoz WMP save file (.asf) first before streaming from internet radio sites(eg. MSN). Sometimes, it works when there is no spam or something. Use your spam remover and delete all .asf files and then open your WMP and enjoy. if it doesn' work, repair your WMP (not reinstall). if it also doesn't work, remove your WMP and install again.

Tywais, l used to have a problem with all sorts of popups from RealPlayer wanting me to make RealPlayer the default player for this file and that file even if l had already assigned WMP as the default. Maybe it doesn't happen any longer but l'm not about to try it again as WMP does the job for me although l agree Real handles more file formats than WMP.

Now I understand what you mean. You are right, however when it does it (now anyway) you have an option to tell not to ask again. Actually WMP does that also when it loses an assigned extension and can be disabled from asking again. :o

Absolutely, if WMP does what you want, no point in complicating things. I'm just such a multimedia power user have to have all the current 'toys'. :D

Edited by tywais