Flight Radar - Real Time Visuals

SamuiRes

http://www.flightradar24.com/

Just discovered this site.

You can watch in real time virtually any commercial aircraft anywhere in the world including simulated cockpit views.

Best using Chrome.

They are using Google Earth flight simulator I believe for the cockpit views with real time info from the aircraft.

Just watched PG 180 come into land at Swampy.

Does seem a problem with flights to Samui in that they seem to disappear off the map about two thirds of the way down.

Watched a flight whilst having breakfast this morning and then saw it land as I drove through Bangrak 20 minutes later.

Edited by SamuiRes
  • Like 1

Samui aiport does not have radar so once the aircraft get below a certain level you will not be able to see them on the display.

I have been using this programme for years but I did not know you could get cockpit views, how do you do this?

Samui aiport does not have radar so once the aircraft get below a certain level you will not be able to see them on the display.

I have been using this programme for years but I did not know you could get cockpit views, how do you do this?

The site does not use radar but signals from the transponders in the aircraft - provided they are fitted which they are not in all aircraft. Go to the Forum and there is an explanation of how it works. I suspect Samui does not have a ground station to receive and report the signal which is why they disappear off the map.

For cockpit view - click on the plane you want - a panel appears on the left giving flight details - at the bottom is a "Cockpit View" button. Does not work well in IE but quite well with Chrome.

Requires a plug in for Google Earth. I'm using Chrome browser - the first time you click on cockpit view for a particular flight (in the flight info pane left of screen) it will ask you if you want to install the plug in.

Great site

Thanks OP

Sent from my ALCATEL_one_touch_918D using Thaivisa Connect App

The site does not use radar but signals from the transponders in the aircraft - provided they are fitted which they are not in all aircraft. Go to the Forum and there is an explanation of how it works. I suspect Samui does not have a ground station to receive and report the signal which is why they disappear off the map.

For cockpit view - click on the plane you want - a panel appears on the left giving flight details - at the bottom is a "Cockpit View" button. Does not work well in IE but quite well with Chrome.

Well your quite right and you learn something every day. I'm an ATCO and we at work could never understand how this programme was allowed to access information from radar feeds, none of us ever bothered to read the explanation on the site.