Biz At The Flea Market

Smokemachine

I noticed people are doing biz selling food, apparels, appliances,etc. They dont earn really much after deducting cost of the stocks,daily expenses and gasoline. Only during festival period may earn slightly better in that month. I'm wondering how do they actually survive? I don't think they can save much or not at all. Yet i see many of them having good sound system in their 2 door pick up, few drinks of LEO. Just wondering how do they live.. Pls leave comments and share with me. Thanks

Kelvin. You would be surprised, how much money vendors can make in a market. I know from personal experience, worked 15 years in a big market in my homecountry and never had so much money going through my hands. It is the many small sales with big margins, that make you rich!smile.png Sometimes people asked exactly the same question as you: "how can you make a living out of this?". Little did the customer know, that the poorly dressed guy in front of them, probably was making 5 times as much as they were, with very little taxes paid because it was difficult to check!!

Both me and my collegues drove expensive private cars, which we ofcourse never showed anywhere near the market. All in the name of keeping a low profile.

I am sure, that it is no different in Thailand, so your "poor" vendors probably lives in a nice moo-baan in BKK's suburbs with a Benz in the driveway! thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

These are what we normally consider the big expenses in the West:

Home

Car

Healthcare

Food

Many thais live in a property inherited or a property they paid for by selling land they inherited. Healthcare is practically free. Food is very cheap as well, this is an agricultural giant after all.

The reality is that for your average bang-nak thai, they do not have that many expenses and they have a low but happy standard of living.

i doubt it is that hard to earn 20k a month in a market.

Kelvin. You would be surprised, how much money vendors can make in a market. I know from personal experience, worked 15 years in a big market in my homecountry and never had so much money going through my hands. It is the many small sales with big margins, that make you rich!smile.png Sometimes people asked exactly the same question as you: "how can you make a living out of this?". Little did the customer know, that the poorly dressed guy in front of them, probably was making 5 times as much as they were, with very little taxes paid because it was difficult to check!!

Both me and my collegues drove expensive private cars, which we ofcourse never showed anywhere near the market. All in the name of keeping a low profile.

Its this Derrick Trotter or Rodney talking now ?....rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

Good question! I have tried to live and understand and adapt to that way of life for a long time now. My observation is they live differently from western standards. In other words they approach a business(life in a monetary system) very different from westerners. We are used to the profit-system but this only works for short term. The Thai already know in the long run you will successfully run a business on a 'no loss' policy. I try to comprehend and implement this approach in my daily life and it really works!

They are way ahead of us farangs. Observe and learn..

Edited by Dancealot

Home

Car

Healthcare

Food

Many thais live in a property inherited or a property they paid for by selling land they inherited. Healthcare is practically free. Food is very cheap as well, this is an agricultural giant after all.

The reality is that for your average bang-nak thai, they do not have that many expenses and they have a low but happy standard of living.

do tell, what is a bang-nak thai? are they related to folks who live baan nok?

not sure what astounds me more, peoples poor ear, or the fact they feel the need to use terms they have not heard correctly on the forum.

certainly doesn't lend your post the authoritative air you were shooting for

Edited by tinfoilhat
  • Like 1

Home

Car

Healthcare

Food

not sure what astounds me more, peoples poor ear, or the fact they feel the need to use terms they have not heard correctly on the forum.

orig-14366331.jpg

You can make decent money at the markets here, a few years ago my wife and i used to sell childrens clothes at the markets around Pattaya, small jeans, shorts, t shirts etc. we were buying the items from the manufacturer in Bangkok at 12 to 17 baht per piece and then selling them at the going rate of 29 and 39 baht each. These are the sort of items that people (mostly women) would come and buy 10 or 20 pieces at a time!

We went to a different market every day, 4-5 hours work and we were making around 3000 - 3500 baht clear per day ! Sometimes a lot more if we went to one of the temple fairs or all day markets. As there are many daily markets in and around Pattaya we never had to travel far, renting your pitch ranged from 40 baht to 200 baht per day/evening.

Only problem was the rainy days - not good when you are trying to sell cloth items!!

On the whole though quite easy money actually, and good fun, don't be fooled thinking market traders don't make much!wink.png

• Like 1

Do not be fooled by those tiny cubicle market stalls: the rent on one of those in a prime location can be about 100,000 baht a month. to make up that much rent and make a good profit means the owners have their own factories and are manufacturers, which means they sell wholesale and sell huge amounts. they probably also have several stalls dotted around country.

I am sure, that it is no different in Thailand, so your "poor" vendors probably lives in a nice moo-baan in BKK's suburbs with a Benz in the driveway! thumbsup.gif

hmmm.. true...

Home

Car

Healthcare

Food

orig-14366331.jpg

exactly. K.I.S.S.

Hi there Khun Kelvin.

The street shop owners do earn a meagre living.

Makes it all wonder if it's worth while to conduct business at all.

Have you or your partner ever have a shop/stall as you describe in your OP?

Hi David, i do not have. My wife friend happen to be selling clothes at flea market in her own province area. Just wondering does they really can earn a decent living? Or praying hard every each day?

Home

Car

Healthcare

Food

What astounds me more is peoples constant need to correct every mistake a person makes on a forum, no matter how small.

Quite pathetic really

Edited by VintageTQ

Trigger came to mind, don't know why....................tongue.png

• Like 1

You can make decent money at the markets here, a few years ago my wife and i used to sell childrens clothes at the markets around Pattaya, small jeans, shorts, t shirts etc. we were buying the items from the manufacturer in Bangkok at 12 to 17 baht per piece and then selling them at the going rate of 29 and 39 baht each. These are the sort of items that people (mostly women) would come and buy 10 or 20 pieces at a time!

We went to a different market every day, 4-5 hours work and we were making around 3000 - 3500 baht clear per day ! Sometimes a lot more if we went to one of the temple fairs or all day markets. As there are many daily markets in and around Pattaya we never had to travel far, renting your pitch ranged from 40 baht to 200 baht per day/evening.

Only problem was the rainy days - not good when you are trying to sell cloth items!!

On the whole though quite easy money actually, and good fun, don't be fooled thinking market traders don't make much!wink.png

Yup it is quite fun. i went few times helping my wife friend. The fun is going around different places, meeting friends who are also vendors, have some leos, chill. But the tiring part is when you set up and close your stall.

Trigger came to mind, don't know why....................tongue.png

I was originally going to write Trigger, but could remember if "Soi41" was British or a yank and if I had said trigger he may of thought I was referring to Roy Rodgers and launch into a diatribe about a cowboy and his horse...biggrin.png

For our colonial cousins tuning in "Trigger" in the UK refers to someone who aint that smart...we are not talking about a horse

• Like 1

Hi there Khun Kelvin.

The street shop owners do earn a meagre living.

Makes it all wonder if it's worth while to conduct business at all.

Have you or your partner ever have a shop/stall as you describe in your OP?

Hi David, i do not have. My wife friend happen to be selling clothes at flea market in her own province area. Just wondering does they really can earn a decent living? Or praying hard every each day?

Thanks for your reply ... biggrin.png

I'll bet it beats any min. wage job here. Makes you wonder why anybody would work for min. wage when they can just put up a little stand and start selling.

You need the capital for stock, transport to get stock to and from markets, transport to buy from suppliers, personal drive/motivation to set up a market every day, some basic business acumen and a dozen other factors.

It just doesn't suit everyone.

Not everyone can make a million baht a month from their online ventures meatballs

Edited by BookMan