Thaksin Says Yingluck Will Avert Political Crisis

webfact

Thaksin says PM will avert political crisis

Cautious Pheu Thai likely to seek charter change article-by-article

BANGKOK: -- : -- Former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra said his sister's government will avoid conflicts like those that led to his ouster in a 2006 coup, even as it presses ahead with efforts to curb the power of the courts.

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra's ruling Pheu Thai Party will probably drop plans to completely rewrite the Constitution and amend it section-by-section instead, to side-step challenges that caused previous governments to fall, Thaksin said in an interview in Singapore yesterday.

It will also shelve a bill granting a broad amnesty that would include him - until the timing is right, he said.

"If we cannot amend the Constitution that we have now, it's difficult," said Thaksin, who has lived overseas since fleeing a 2008 jail sentence. "It's like the government is living in a house full of land mines. So you have to be very cautious of what you are doing."

Planned amendments would decrease the power of independent agencies such as the Constitution Court and give more say to elected officials, Thaksin said.

"We are working carefully and also we are in consultation with the Constitution Court, [about] which area is acceptable," he said, referring to plans to change the charter. "We want to do things that are acceptable [to] everybody."

The approach may extend the tenure of Yingluck's 13-month-old government, which has already outlasted the last Thaksin-linked administration, which collapsed in 2008 after protesters seized Bangkok's airports. The stability has pushed Thai stocks to a 16-year high as increased spending on rice helped the economy grow more than economists expected in the second quarter.

Thailand's benchmark SET Index has gained 23 per cent since Pheu Thai's election win on July 3, 2011, the second-best performer in the world behind Venezuela, according to data compiled by Bloomberg.

Thaksin praised his sister Yingluck, saying her personality has reduced animosity among his opponents.

"She handles politics much better than me," Thaksin said.

"While another coup can't be ruled out," Thaksin said, "it wouldn't easily succeed."

"If it were to happen again it would not be a quiet coup, [with] no blood," he said. "It's because the people are aware. The last coup made their life worse so they know they would not allow it to easily happen again."

Thaksin, 63, said he was visiting Singapore to watch a Formula One race as a guest of Temasek Holdings, which in 2006 bought the telecommunications firm he founded. He said he's in no hurry to return to his native land, having grown accustomed to a life where he flies every three days on average to cities like London, Dubai and Hong Kong.

In 2010, a court seized Bt46.4 billion held by Thaksin's family after ruling that policies during his five years as prime minister increased the value of Shin Corp, the telecommunications company now controlled by Temasek.

Thaksin declined to reveal his net worth, while saying his enemies "clipped his deep pockets".

"The principle is about justice," Thaksin said, referring to his seized wealth. "Did I have enough justice? Did they treat me correctly? Did they observe the rule of law while treating me? If not, I have to be remedied."

The reconciliation committee, set up by Abhisit's government after the violence, also cautioned against a broad amnesty and called for constitutional changes to be explained to the public, as well as for the military to stay out of politics and for judges to remain neutral. When releasing its report, committee chairman Kanit Na Nakorn called for Thaksin to stay out of political affairs.

"That's the view of a very few people, especially the chairman," Thaksin said, adding that Kanit was still angry with him about a dispute over who to include in his Thai Rak Thai political party, which brought him to power in 2001. Kanit declined to comment directly on Thaksin's remarks when reached by phone late yesterday.

Thaksin also said any changes to a law that protects His Majesty the King and other Royal Family members from insults should come from the King's advisers.

"The privy councillors should be the ones who consider whether we emphasise the process, whether it should be amended," Thaksin, who was ousted in a 2006 coup, said, referring to the lese-majeste law. "I don't think the government will initiate [it]. It must be initiated [by] the privy councillors."

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-09-26

Every day there is a Thaksin story as if he is the legitemit leader of the country kind of thing. Ignoring the convicted criminal argument for a moment, if the media just ignored him then there would not be allot of the issues there are now as he would become a distant memory in the short term memories of many Thais I have meet. Just look at the first page of Thai Visa News for godness sakes, :

Thaksin Defends Controversial Rice-Pledging Programme

Thaksin Writes To Families Of 2010 'martyrs'

3 of those above were published in the last 24 hours. Talk about stop feeding the troll.

PS, I must admit the BREAKING NEWS of vagina whiting cream in the middle of them was at least interesting cheesy.gif

Edited by jcw
  • Like 1

"We want to do things that are acceptable to everybody"

Yeh, right!!!!

What he means is they want to do things that will help him get an amnesty that they think they might get away with "smuggling through".

The only trouble with this is that those sharp eyed Democrat lawyers will spot it well before this point and find a way to disallow it either on a technicality or claim it is primarily for his benefit and not a general amnesty for all!!

"If it were to happen again it would not be a quiet coup, [with] no blood," he said. "It's because the people are aware. The last coup made their life worse so they know they would not allow it to easily happen again."

Yes Thaksin I know, accountability is a pain in the arse.

"She [Yingluck] handles politics much better than me," Thaksin said.

Yes,...she just sidesteps them completely or says "I haven't read the full report yet!"

A total joke and insult to the Thai system of government and Thai people!

.........Thta voted her into power, ironically!!!!

Yes Thaksin I know, accountability is a pain in the arse.

Maybe its a sign he is out of touch with what is really happening! How many red shirts will there be when they see this government is only out for themselves and are using the people for their own ends.

Sent from my GT-P6200 using Thaivisa Connect App

Every day there is a Thaksin story as if he is the legitemit leader of the country kind of thing. Ignoring the convicted criminal argument for a moment, if the media just ignored him then there would not be allot of the issues there are now as he would become a distant memory in the short term memories of many Thais I have meet. Just look at the first page of Thai Visa News for godness sakes, :

Thaksin Writes To Families Of 2010 'martyrs'

3 of those above were published in the last 24 hours. Talk about stop feeding the troll.

PS, I must admit the BREAKING NEWS of vagina whiting cream in the middle of them was at least interesting cheesy.gif

Thaksin thinks........Thailand sinks.bah.gif

It will also shelve a bill granting a broad amnesty that would include him - until the timing is right, he said.

Scary thought. I wonder what will come of this when Asia forms a union (which is on the horizon) Where would that put Thai politics as we see them today?

Yes,...she just sidesteps them completely or says "I haven't read the full report yet!"

but more importantly, democratically.

By Thailand standards only

Yes but still a total joke. (let's not touch on vote buying trough cash (tablet) handouts and populist policies)

BTW, have you ever heard her speak in English to the foreign press? cheesy.gif

If not, I can give you some links and you might agree with me. Just ask thumbsup.gif .

Edited by Nickymaster

He has no right to meddle in Thai politics since he is persona non grata. He has about as much right as I do to meddle in Thai Goverment.

the press ask his opinion, he gives it, they print it. More about the press continually fanning the flames, which so many fall for.

He has no right to meddle in Thai politics since he is persona non grata. He has about as much right as I do to meddle in Thai Goverment.

the press ask his opinion, he gives it, they print it. More about the press continually fanning the flames, which so many fall for.

Amazing how "his opinion" invariably is the course of action his government takes.

The press ask his opinion probably to speed up the process of finding answers on these plans and thus bypass the unnecessary step of asking his proxy.

eg. put the total constitution re-write on hold in favor of specific amendment changes of the OP.

He is the person running the country so the press has a responsibility to ask him questions. Perhaps if he stopped running the country - which one would think a person banned from politics might have some sort of onus to do - the press might not need ask him any questions, and start directing them at the person who actually should be doing the job.

• Like 2

Amazing how "his opinion" invariably is the course of action his government takes.

The press ask his opinion probably to speed up the process of finding answers on these plans and thus bypass the unnecessary step of asking his proxy.

eg. put the total constitution re-write on hold in favor of specific amendment changes of the OP.

With respect, even the most unsavvy of political observers knew that was going to happen the moment the constitutional court acted unconstitutionally. They even suggested it!

All the time political luddites like the dems and their yellow shirt backers (in this case) were prepared to threaten using article 68 over a complete re write of the constitution with its, dare I say, more democratic approach of having a group of elected and appointed citizens to formulate it there has only been one other option. Rewriting the constitution section by section by parliamentary vote of politicians (and a large PTP/Coalition majority) is now the way on with no citizens allowed any where near it.

And all because of the paranoid ravings of an emasculated opposition. You reap what you sew.