Import A Car To Thailand

At first I did a search, to be sure it is quite unique ... :D

"Sorry, but we did not find any matches to display. Try again and broaden your search criteria. If you were searching for new posts since your last visit, it's possible that there are none to show."

Suppose I would wannah' live in Thailand ... can I take my car with me ? (Oldtimer)

merc0290.jpg

... :o

I wouldn´t try to import a car due to customs.

When I bought my PickUp in december at LUCKY CARS/QUALITY CARS in Bangkok they had a lot of decent looking Mercedes Oldtimers.

Not suitable for me to use in Isaan but I wish I would have one. Old memories come into my mind....

You are crazy! Those cars in the west were not made for the hot climate like in Thailand, especially in Issan area. You will often have more problem with overheated engine! Too much hassel and not worth it for me.....but it's nice to have them sit underneath the carport for a show though :o

Edited by BKK90210

NICE car though... It's the coupe/2 door model right, I honestly don't think I ever saw one.. Must be quite rare? I don't think I'd move that one to Thailand. Keep it in Europe and drive it when you're back there on holiday. :o Value of the thing should go up right, if you keep it in good condition?

To anyone : I know the Thai roads are not very suitable and I will only use it on certain occasions for we are planning to buy an off-road jeep overthere. We are planning to settle near a highway, so I can drive it overthere (not especially for the car we settle near the highway, just for good transportation reasons). You never drive fast in an oldtimer, you just enjoy the ride in a great car ! Furthermore Mercedes has an oldtimer workshop and I can order any part from Germany (which they can make themselves and it's original; the price ? Yes, very expensive, but hobby's always are ...).

As for overheating ? :D.

Do you know what a Mercedes is ?! One American had a 170D and was a salesman. He took it over 1,200,000 miles, set a record with a single engine and then sold it to a cab-driver in Mexico ! You know how many Mercedeses are in California ? It's quite hot in these parts. Did you know they build in old 250(D+) engines into boats ? Because the car rusted away, but the engine kept on going. Overheating is a Lada problem ...

As far as taxes ... I am willing to pay LOAD's of tax, as long as I can take my 'baby' with me.

NICE car though... It's the coupe/2 door model right, I honestly don't think I ever saw one.. Must be quite rare? I don't think I'd move that one to Thailand. Keep it in Europe and drive it when you're back there on holiday. :o Value of the thing should go up right, if you keep it in good condition?

Yes, it's a coupe/2 door model, very rare indeed. If they made hundred of thousand's other series, this 250CE (Coupe, fuel-injection), they only made some 6600 and how many you guess are on the road now ? I guess very little. It's in superb ORIGINAL (!) condition.

I think I saw one of these for sale last week, reply here if you want me to take a look and then email you.

Cheers.

WOW ! Thanks, please do. Make sure you know the type of the car (say 280CE etc ...). And the first three numbers of any part (and de serienumber) state the typenumber (like 108 etc ...).

I wish you the best of luck with your car, my pride and joy still sits at Laem Chebang.

You must check with the DFT and Commercial affairs dept first for import license.

You will need to have a 2million bht company and a work permit to get this license.

Also check first as i am sure you can not import a car more than 10 years old.

Good Luck, Mike.

This subject seems to pop up once a week now...

As I mentioned on this forum a couple of times before, the import of used vehicles into Thailand is prohibited. Very few exceptions apply (diplomat passport to start with...).

They used to have prohibitive duties (up to 400%) in the past, now it is no longer possible altogether.

As I mentioned on this forum a couple of times before, the import of used vehicles into Thailand is prohibited. Very few exceptions apply (diplomat passport to start with...).

They used to have prohibitive duties (up to 400%) in the past, now it is no longer possible altogether.

I guess I have to make a deal with a diplomat then ? ... :D Be callin' the Dutch embassy right now. "Wannah borrow my car somethimes ? ... Then listen ..." :o

I guess I have to make a deal with a diplomat then ? ... :D Be callin' the Dutch embassy right now. "Wannah borrow my car somethimes ? ... Then listen ..." :D

hehehe...good luck on that one! And let us know about the outcome... :o

hehehe...good luck on that one! And let us know about the outcome... :D

:oTHX for your good wishes ! And if it was an ordinary old Mercedes, I wouldn't stand a chance ... "Never shot, is always miss." I will let ya'll know, might take some time, if I succeeded :D.

Edited by FlyingDutchman

It's gonna cost you unless you know BIG people and I wouldn't waste the favor on a bloody car or my love: BIKES. I'm having enough trouble trying to get parts in, never mind a full bike. I agree, leave it there when you go visit!

... costs ... I don't care ... I'll pay ... with mùch delight ...

... bloody car ... It's an antique collectors item, nòt a car ...

I'm having enough trouble trying to get parts in, never mind a full bike Everyting has it's price !

... you go visit ... And pay a garage to place it in ? Some $200 a month at least. Let alone spending a day getting all the fluids out to prepare it for next year and then spending a day putting all the fluids in again ? And who thinks I'm gonna' go back for a visit ? ... What's here for me; maybe I would go to Northern Italy, but how do I get my car overthere, so I can drive it there ? ... Nay ... I'd rather pay 'loads of taxes' here ...

You do not need to be a Diplomat to get an import license.

I have explained what you need to do in my previous post, and to be honest its not difficult.

But as i have also said i am sure the limit on age is 10 years.

Not sure the Thais will accept an antique car or even understand.

As i said Good Luck and keep us posted.

Mike.

You do not need to be a Diplomat to get an import license.

I have explained what you need to do in my previous post, and to be honest its not difficult.

But as i have also said i am sure the limit on age is 10 years.

Not sure the Thais will accept an antique car or even understand.

As i said Good Luck and keep us posted.

Mike.

"The limit on age is 10 years. Not sure the Thais will accept an antique car or even understand."

I understand; there are far more country's which don't allow older cars, but I will try to import it. As I said : I'm willing to pay taxes, licenses and even, when everything else fails, lend it regulary to whom ever can get it in legally. And when I can't drive it, I try to import it as a 'piece of industrial art' and put it under glass in my garden ... Just to look at :o.

Admire that determination, you obviously love that piece of iron.

If you are really serious about importing a car contact me. Your taxes and duties could run as high as 250% of the perceived value of the car. They can use a retail value for a current similar model and might discount it a bit because its used but dont count on it. So a current mercedes coupe is probably stickered at about 2 million baht and they will work off the CIF value to total about 2.1 million x 2.5 your duties, taxes and Vat will total around 5 million. Then add your tea money and fees, about another 1 million should cover that nicely.

So when your "cost is no object" statement is taken at face value we are looking at 6 million baht to put you behind the wheel of your pride and joy while sitting in traffic.

Its possible to import it into Singapore and do border runs with it every few months, but thats a mess to arrange as well. Or if your serious about putting it in your garden, have it dismantled and shipped as parts. Your tax bill there wont be much over a million probably and if you get all the body parts no will know that the engine is still at the port running a irrigation pump.

Coming through Thai customs is always dicey, I lose about one in ten shipments, thankfully they usually ship the stuff back and I succeed later, only losing the shipping. Cars are the toughest of the lot and they dont ship them back. You have a good chance of losing your baby but being ready to burn 6 million baht in trying is pretty good insurance in getting it done.

Like I said, if your serious PM me but this is not a project for the weak at heart or wallet.

tuktukmile and xbusman,

not that I want to challenge you, but rather out of curiosity: As to my knowledge the law regulating the import of used cars has changed last year. Might be that it changed again, but my information is that you can import cars only if they are either new (and you have that import license), as removal goods (lots of conditions apply and lots of duties to be paid) or as an oldimer if older than 30 years - and also then not easy.

I stand corrected.

Cheers

raro

If xbusman and cleverD are correct, it means I have to pay over € 126,057.38. Then I'd better sell the car overhere and look around for a '55 Coupe 300 Gullwing ...

400px-1955_Mercedes-Benz_300SL_Gullwing_Coupe_34_right.jpg

Then I'd have a bargain ...

Thanks anyhow, xbusman and we'll keep in touch.

Bt the way ... That piece of IRON is called A MERCEDES :o .

:D

raro has a remark about oldtimers ... It's not easy ... but not impossible. I've seen some light again.

:D

Raro, I am confirming a few things today regarding import of cars with my sources in Customs. My experience here, as well as others, is that in Thailand there are very few of the conflicting and badly written laws that cannot be clarified satisfactorily with the proper and judicious application of money. I am quite confident that with the right amount, the myriad regulations regarding the import of used cars can be successfully negotiated to the Dutchmans favor in an acceptably legal manner.

I have direct experience with people having almost unlimited resources doing things you and I would consider bizarre in regards their vehicles. In particular I remember a customer of mine in about 1995 in America who had immigrated from Germany. I dont remember how he made his money, not important to the story, but I remember clearly the tow car he had behind his bus. He would ride in any car as long as it was a Mercedes, color not important. At the time, Mercedes did not make a suitable car for towing, has to do with transfer cases, road clearance, and other complex technical details. So he did what any serious German would do, he flew to Germany and commissioned Mercedes to build him two SUV style cars to his specifications. Now, if your familiar with what it takes to get DOT certified and the legal ramifications of parts availability, liability, etc etc, this is just a mind boggling proposition but I saw the black one behind his bus when I first met him. We guessed around 3 million US each but that could be way low. He was famous in the coach world as being the only man with a tow car worth more than any bus.

So I am not assuming that the Dutchman is full of hot air but is indeed a man in love with his unique and special car and the resources to accomplish what he deems to be important. By reading his posts, I can see enough thoughtfulness to immediate assume he cannot be stupid enough to try this on his own without the resources to get it done and take a 99% chance of losing his pride and joy.

I really think it could get done for about 6 million baht but would hope to be able to find the right way at about 4 million baht. It could run as high as 10 million as CleverD pointed out but within that range the Dutchman can have his cake and eat it too.

And in the end, I learned its only money. Little numbers in computers whizzing around in cyberspace. Think about how many thai sons and daughters of the Customs department could go to college on 6 million baht and how happy the Dutchman will be as he sits in Bangkok traffic with one of the finest cars ever built.

Dutchman, just PM me and lets get your car moving to her new home.

Well, seems we posted at the same moment.

If 126,000 euros is not your walking around money, best to take the hard earned and brutally true advice of the respected TukTukMike and sell her to someone with lots of time, spare parts and an overwhelming desire to use hand tools.

You can get a lovely Honda jazz in Thailand with air conditioning that actually works for not much money and when that motorcy taxi slams into the door you wont feel the need to reach for a gun.

Welcome to Thailand.

""bloody car ... It's an antique collectors item, nòt a car ..."""

Actually if it is anything like my Dad's 1979 300CD, it is a POS that handles like a slow moving boat, with a steering will the size of my tire on my M3.

My dad had a love affair with a 300CD, he thought it was sent directly from heaven above. He drove it for around 15 years, and finally bought a BMW 530, the Mercedes is now rotting away, paint gone, but still on the road. He gave it away to some college student. The roof leaks too...

I never did like that 5 cylinder slug of a car.

My dad now spits when he hears the name "Mercedes" and thinks merc as a company is going to go tits up any time soon. I have to agree with him on that too.

I am going to give up on importing my M3 to Thailand.... Not really due to costs, but really due to the fact it is a left hand drive. I don't want to get killed trying to poke my nose out in traffic, while trying to figure out if it is safe to pass some slow moving Fuso.

import your car to malaysia , register it there , and then drive it up to thailand. i believe import duties are a lot cheaper there.

so long as you have a valid visa to stay in thailand , you can use a car on foriegn plates without paying any import taxes.

tax, I looked at that and its rather messy. I think there would be some trouble on a EU passport, the law is designed for citizens of neighboring countries to visit. I believe the entry permit is only for 30 or 60 days, then the vehicle has to do a border run to the same point of entry, rather inconveniant and sure to rack up the miles. I dont think that old merc has it left in her.

There is a service up in Cambodia that will bring them over at night on unmarked roads. These boys make the mafia look like Nana flower girls. They can land your pride and joy over here but your paperwork would be a bit light.

No, if there was a remotely reasonable way to get it done, some old timer on this board would have figured it out and slicked a few in. As it is, the door is well and truly nailed shut.

tax, I looked at that and its rather messy

you may be right , i cant say for sure though , i'm basing my post on the experience of a friend (uk passport) who bought a car whilst living in malaysia and then when he moved to live in thailand just loaded all his stuff into his car and drove up to bangkok.

he used the car for four years on malaysian plates before driving it back to malaysia to sell it.

never paid any import duties on it at all , but obviously he had to take it back to malaysia to sell.

he was told by the transport department here that he could use it as long as he didnt sell it here and as long as he had a valid visa. it was insured here also , but i dont think he ever paid yearly road tax.

I realise that "TiT" (This is Thailand), but what possible reason could there be for blocking the import of vehicles of say 30 years old. They will not still be in production so they do not pose a threat to the locally manufactured vehicles. I can understand the authorities blocking the import of brand new or nearly new vehicles but to stop someone who is now living in Thailand from bringing an "antique" with them seems strange even for this country.

I seem to remember seeing a TV show featuring veteran and vintage cars being driven around Bangkok and (I think) on to Hua Hin, these vehicles must have been brought into the country somehow, and there were some very "exotic" motors amongst them.

If 126,000 euros is not your walking around money, best to take the hard earned and brutally true advice of the respected TukTukMike and sell her to someone with lots of time, spare parts and an overwhelming desire to use hand tools.

Welcome to Thailand.

Well ... I'm not talking about "walking around money", but the value of my car opposite the value of other cars. It's irrational to pay over € 126,000 tax for a car, which value is less [the Dutch don't like to spend irrational money :D]. Thèn I'd better buy a car, far more value than the mentionned € 126,000 so the tax "will be worth" to import the car ... It's a hobby, not a lifesaving operation :o.

Still I'll be checking out all possibility's.

Actually if it is anything like my Dad's 1979 300CD, it is a POS that handles like a slow moving boat, with a steering will the size of my tire on my M3.

I never did like that 5 cylinder slug of a car.

It's got a Diesel engine, this 300CD (Coupé Diesel), not a petrol/gasoline engine, like the 250CE (gasoline injection). Yes, if you like speeding, you should never take an original oldtimer. You'd better rebuild it to a dragracer (like loads of Americans do). If you drive an oldtimer, it's nòt about the speed, but about cruising the streets. Yes, these Mercedes have got a steering wheel, where most boats are jalouse about, that's it's charm. It's not a sportscar steering wheel. The top speed of a 250CE is about 115mph (185kmh). That's enough for me; surely the cruising speed is already too much for Thailand.

About the new Mercedes/Crysler company. They still produce nice car's but without a soul ... :D

You can get a lovely Honda jazz in Thailand with air conditioning that actually works for not much money and when that motorcy taxi slams into the door you wont feel the need to reach for a gun.

Welcome to Thailand.

:o

I actually like the new merc, much better look. More "civil"

Almost bought a nice 1989 500SEL, perfect condition. Quite cheap. But I didn't look good in the car :D