Multi-Gym Weight Capacity For 75Kg Man

corkman

Hi All,

I'm going to buy one of those multigym things. I want to use it for general fitness / strength training. I aspire to having a slightly muscular, toned body. I am not looking to be a "body builder". e.g. I'd like a 6 pack, noticable bi-ceps, etc.

I am 75kg and not over weight.

My question is, what "size" should I buy? i.e. how much weight should be in the weight stack?

Thanks in advance.

CM

My advice buy a power rack instead with an olympic barbell and a multibench. Probably cheaper then a multigym. (unless you mean those you buy in the sports shops but then you cant even exercise your biceps)

Really i know i got my own home gym and read loads about it. Its not easy to get bodybuilder looks. To get even moderate muscles you have to train like a bodybuilder and invest some years in it. If you use a multigym it will take more time if you ever get there.

• Like 1

If you really want to go multygym then i got some other advise, i still think its a bad choice but up to you as they say in Thailand.

Do you have an example from what you want to buy. The number of winches depends how heavy something is. Exercises that involve your legs or your back (depending on the nr of winches) will quickly make the home gym obselete. I got 15 stacks of 10 kg. For most exercises that is enough but leg extention and certain back exercises are getting close to the end.

Do you mean one of those gyms you see in the shopping centers 10-20.000 ? those wont exercise your whole body. But i got one of those because they are useful for some exercise that are harder to do on a power rack.

If anyone is interested i could take some pictures or make a movie of my home gym.

Really i know i got my own home gym and read loads about it. Its not easy to get bodybuilder looks. To get even moderate muscles you have to train like a bodybuilder and invest some years in it. If you use a multigym it will take more time if you ever get there.

LOL. You took the words right out of my mouth. We often hear comments from beginners such as: "I don't want to bet too big" and now "I don't want to look like a bodybuilder"... as if muscles are going to grow like weeds the moment someone touches a barbell. The only way anyone is going to get too big is from eating too much.

This reminds me of a conversation we had about machines vs free weights several months back. If you can't get high quality, ergonomically designed machines then stick with free weights and even if you could get them here in Thailand they would be very expensive and well beyond the budget of a casual trainee.

To the OP - if you want a 6-pack and "noticeable biceps", you had better train like a bodybuilder or nothing will ever happen. Rob and I know this all too well after struggling for decades to "look like bodybuilders".

Edited by tropo

If you really want to go multygym then i got some other advise, i still think its a bad choice but up to you as they say in Thailand.

Do you have an example from what you want to buy. The number of winches depends how heavy something is. Exercises that involve your legs or your back (depending on the nr of winches) will quickly make the home gym obselete. I got 15 stacks of 10 kg. For most exercises that is enough but leg extention and certain back exercises are getting close to the end.

Do you mean one of those gyms you see in the shopping centers 10-20.000 ? those wont exercise your whole body. But i got one of those because they are useful for some exercise that are harder to do on a power rack.

If anyone is interested i could take some pictures or make a movie of my home gym.

One thing is for sure, if the OP invests in a cheap multi-station he won't have to worry about looking like a bodybuilder.smile.png

I've trained on leg extensions which were too light - just go single leg if this happens - same with back. One arm pulldowns are superior to the 2 arm version as they are far more intense. If you mean a cable row, then a one arm version would not be recommended as they would be dangerous for the lower back due to the twisting motion.

Edited by tropo

Hi guys,

Thanks to both of you for your replies.

First off, when I say I am not looking to look like a body builder, what I mean is I dont "need" that much. What I mean is I am looking for an atheletic look.... if that makes any difference :)

Multi-gyms; I haven't actually "looked" yet. I want to find out what to look for before I go looking :) If I google "multi gym" it comes up with stuff like this : http://www.google.co.th/imgres?um=1&hl=en&sa=N&biw=1202&bih=584&tbm=isch&tbnid=bWy_jX8Gmpw2eM:&imgrefurl=http://www.eurocosm.com/Application/Products/fitness-products/Marcy-MWM900-Multigym-GB.asp&docid=s9kqoPMHS1cgKM&imgurl=http://www.eurocosm.com/Application/images/fitness-equipment/Marcy-Personal-Multi-Gym-MWM900-md.jpg&w=400&h=567&ei=t51nUMfcHsfJrAexgYGoBQ&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=432&vpy=153&dur=10596&hovh=267&hovw=188&tx=106&ty=179&sig=113526256142976575436&page=1&tbnh=147&tbnw=104&start=0&ndsp=20&ved=1t:429,r:2,s:0,i:101

Truthfully I haven't got a clue about exercising in any form......

Hi guys,

First off, when I say I am not looking to look like a body builder, what I mean is I dont "need" that much. What I mean is I am looking for an atheletic look.... if that makes any difference smile.png

Multi-gyms; I haven't actually "looked" yet. I want to find out what to look for before I go looking smile.png If I google "multi gym" it comes up with stuff like this : http://www.google.co...9,r:2,s:0,i:101

Ok i got a multi gym like that and compared to a power rack with some barbells its worthless.

These things are cheap and there is no way you can do all the exercises you need.

That you don't need much.. you will be suprised how much you need before your looks change. People seem to think its easy to get muscular its is not. Even an athletic look takes a lot of time and also diet (to loose fat)

Just google gymware to get a better idea about power racks and such. The thing you are talking about will NEVER help you reach your goal. Just wait for Tropo and anyone else that ever touched some weights to confirm.

I am not trying to discourage you just giving you some good information here about home gyms. The thing you showed there could be a good supplement to a power rack. Depending on what kind you have.

Also please remember you will have to work out at least 3 times a week and probably change your eating habits a bit.

Why not go to a Uni/school gym and try their stuff to see what your happy with weight wise and

apparatus wise. I go to one a couple of times a week at 50bht a shot and they have everything.

I personally would find it difficult to get motivated to ''go for it'' if l was alone at home, plus in a gym you can learn stuff by watching, but not from the farang guy who turned up Friday though, who tried to impress the Thai kids on a bench press machine, cheesy.gif too much weight and a 2 inch drop and raise with a lot of noise cheesy.gif .

I am in my seventh decade now, eat once a day and brought back the size of muscles and more that l have neglected, admitted l have had a 30 year lay off. smile.png

Home gyms are only good if you have room and you are not going to move anytime soon. They are more of an investment then a gym membership.

Home gyms also have its advantages but it all depends on what you want. My home gym is as many a gym (not cali wow that is better). But it takes time to buy it and learn to use it.

All,

Thank you for your input.

robblok - on the contrary, you are not discouraging me - rather you are saving me a great deal of wasted time and money!!! Thank you.

transam - if I lived within striking distance of a decent gym, I would do as you say; be that a uni-gym or california or whatever. But as the father of a young family, I cannot justify a 2 hour+ detour on the way home 3 days a week, so the home option is both the best, and practically only option for me.

I have the space. I live in a decent sized house, in a private muban; actually I plan to put this equipment outside in a very well covered car port area (it NEVER gets wet, and "sweating" is good for me anyway - haha).

In terms of losing weight, diet, etc. Well I have been consistently losing weight and gradually changing my diet and gradually increasing exercise over the last 1-2 years. I have recently edged into a BMI of 25 (I know BMI isn't the best measurement, but it gives you guys a rough idea where I am at). I have been consistently loosing 1 kg a month by an imporived diet, running around my muban 3-4 days a week (4-5km) and doing crunchs / press-ups (100 / 150 respectively). I've got a couple of inches to lose in terms of "love handles" but if I tense up I can begin to see the begginings of muscle definition around and just below my solar plexus.... haha, not a 6 pack I know, but its a start!!!

I plan to keep up this regime. small increments, in a sustainable way. I don't feel hungry or tired, and my energy levels are continuously improving.

So - the basic recommendation of you guys is to ditch the multi-gym idea and get:

- power rack

- olympic barbell

- multibench

I had a quick look on gymware - I like the look of the "power rack" ..... haha, shows how much I know..... I like that you can do chin-ups with it.

Guys - in honestly, what should be my next step? Should I go to some gym, temporarily, and get a personal trainer to show me what to do and how to do it, then buy the eqipment to suit? Should I buy a book? I just don't know where to start. No disrespect to thais but they'll just regurgitate some generic BS and get on a stair climber or something.....

Many thanks for your advice!!!

@corkman,

Good, that you are not put of by my advice. I might sound a bit like a know it all and just wanted to make sure its just to help you. I have wasted time and money before in buying stuff that was not optimal.

I would go for a power rack and a multi bench plus the olympic barbell. The problem that you have is that you never exercised before. It would be good to go to a gym and let them explain free weight exercises that you can do with a barbell. It would also be good to look at the book starting strenght. You could try that, its good for beginners before they get into a real routine.

Your diet and your running serve you well, the crunches will not help you loose weight around the middle. Its an urban myth you can't spot reduce fat (or really really hard but not with cruches)

I will give you more information if you want. I am always ready to help as i have experience with home gyms. Once you are ready to buy i can tell you what you need at gymware or somewhere else. No problem.

You might also want some adjustable dumbells, not expensive but will help you do a lot more other exercises then too.

@corkman,

Good, that you are not put of by my advice. I might sound a bit like a know it all and just wanted to make sure its just to help you. I have wasted time and money before in buying stuff that was not optimal.

I would go for a power rack and a multi bench plus the olympic barbell. The problem that you have is that you never exercised before. It would be good to go to a gym and let them explain free weight exercises that you can do with a barbell. It would also be good to look at the book starting strenght. You could try that, its good for beginners before they get into a real routine.

Your diet and your running serve you well, the crunches will not help you loose weight around the middle. Its an urban myth you can't spot reduce fat (or really really hard but not with cruches)

I will give you more information if you want. I am always ready to help as i have experience with home gyms. Once you are ready to buy i can tell you what you need at gymware or somewhere else. No problem.

You might also want some adjustable dumbells, not expensive but will help you do a lot more other exercises then too.

Thanks a mil rob - I will take you up on that offer!!!

First, I think I should go to a gym. Can I just walk in, pay-as-you go sort of thing? Or do I need to join? Anywhere that you'd recomend, particularly along sukhumvit 1 to 21?

Yes, I know the crunchs won't let me spot-lose weight. I'm figuring that generally working different muscle groups and building them up / exercising them, then I am increasing metabolism and thereby helping with weight loss. But diet is the main thing. I am not as such "dieting" rather choosing to eat good healthy foods rather than high carb and/or greasy ones.

Cheers for the advice :-)

@corkman,

Thanks a mil rob - I will take you up on that offer!!!

First, I think I should go to a gym. Can I just walk in, pay-as-you go sort of thing? Or do I need to join? Anywhere that you'd recomend, particularly along sukhumvit 1 to 21?

Yes, I know the crunchs won't let me spot-lose weight. I'm figuring that generally working different muscle groups and building them up / exercising them, then I am increasing metabolism and thereby helping with weight loss. But diet is the main thing. I am not as such "dieting" rather choosing to eat good healthy foods rather than high carb and/or greasy ones.

Cheers for the advice :-)

I don't know much about gyms but usually you pay per month or 3 months. It might be a good idea to get a personal trainer (if you can find one that knows his business) and ask him to show you the free weight and barbel exercises. Not the machines, they love putting you on machines because its easy for them.

They dont have to check you too much as the movement is easy... so its an easy job. Barbel and dumbel exercises they need to explain and correct. Its harder so they will try to shy away from that.

Eating healthy foods is good.. its about changing your lifestyle.. diet means its a temporary thing.. but that would be wrong... because if you go back to your old ways you get the weight back.

I think going to a gym is a good idea.. meanwhile read up on stuff. There is so much to find on the internet about training. You need to combine muscle groups.. so one day for instance your chest and triceps (like i did today) and an other day your back and bicpes (on the program for tomorrow).

That is what you need to learn too.. and dont forget your legs they are one of the major muscles. Just read and learn.. and go to a gym. Then after that you can start a home gym. You will also have a better idea about stuff.

But make sure they explain the barbell and the free weight exercises.

Just a word on machine's vs free weights. I've always considered machines to be a good addition to free weights (if they are good machines) but not a substitute for them. The problem with machines is that you're forced to work with the machine but unfortunately because we are all built differently not everyone fits every machine. This is where a machine needs to be well designed, but even the best designed machines don't work for everyone. If a movement feels uncomfortable or "wrong", don't continue with it.

Also, I would not try to lift super heavy on a machine. I'd leave heavy lifting for barbells and stick to higher reps on the machines. If you're doing both, a good approach is to warm up on a machine, then do your main barbell or DB exercises - and then do some pump sets to finish off with on a machine after the muscles are pre-exhausted from the free weight exercises.

I have been doing weights for years and never put much bulk on because I just cant eat enough to get bigger.

I worked out today and after my workout I had two chicken rolls (rye bread) with a salad. For breakfast i had one boiled egg and some papaya and for dinner a small fish brown rice and salad.

I am not sure how much serious bodybuilders eat a day but i think it is massive compared to what i eat. Further at 55 I am not sure how big I could get as i would have to lift heavier weights and put more strain on my body especially joints.

At 75kg to look big i reckon you would need to put on 20kgs and that would take a heck of amount of doing.

@tolly

I think everyone is a bit different in how much they must eat. I must eat verry little to get bigger or gain fat. (unfortunately). But just increase your proteins with some whey shakes and add oats to them. Then you got a drink that will help you gain weight for sure.

Looking at someone like tropo who is not much younger then 55 and has a great physique id say there is plenty possible at 55. You might want to think hormone replacement therapy. If you do it yourself its not real expensive (just injects, tablets and some tests) Think it can be done for less then 2000bt a month

To be honest you don't need to put on much weight to look muscular if you are really lean. People who are lean look muscular faster then those without muscle separation and such.

Sorry cockman for going off topic.

@tolly

I think everyone is a bit different in how much they must eat. I must eat verry little to get bigger or gain fat. (unfortunately). But just increase your proteins with some whey shakes and add oats to them. Then you got a drink that will help you gain weight for sure.

Looking at someone like tropo who is not much younger then 55 and has a great physique id say there is plenty possible at 55. You might want to think hormone replacement therapy. If you do it yourself its not real expensive (just injects, tablets and some tests) Think it can be done for less then 2000bt a month

To be honest you don't need to put on much weight to look muscular if you are really lean. People who are lean look muscular faster then those without muscle separation and such.

I would never consider HRT.

And I am quite happy with my body shape. I am more athletic looking than heavy muscular.

I could lose a bit of weight around the abdominal area as I am about 36inch stomach but the effort it requires is too much to sacrifice some of life's pleasures for.

I am in good health with no chronic conditions whatsoever and have not had more than a cold for the last thirty years.

• Like 1

@tolly

And I am quite happy with my body shape. I am more athletic looking than heavy muscular.

I could lose a bit of weight around the abdominal area as I am about 36inch stomach but the effort it requires is too much to sacrifice some of life's pleasures for.

I am in good health with no chronic conditions whatsoever and have not had more than a cold for the last thirty years.

You asked for advice, i gave you some options. I wont force you on HRT but to me it sounds not that bad.

We can all loose some weight around the abdominal area, me too, working hard on it. Ah training can be fun sometimes its working towards a goal.

But i must admit it is not easy, going to the ikea seeing good european pastry and not taking it. Choosing the salmon with salad (real good too). Watching the gf eat a chocolate muffin while not taking it but taking a hot chocolate (treat normally not in my food program)

It just cost effort to get where you want to go and it all depends on how far you are willing to go.

@tolly

You asked for advice, i gave you some options. I wont force you on HRT but to me it sounds not that bad.

We can all loose some weight around the abdominal area, me too, working hard on it. Ah training can be fun sometimes its working towards a goal.

But i must admit it is not easy, going to the ikea seeing good european pastry and not taking it. Choosing the salmon with salad (real good too). Watching the gf eat a chocolate muffin while not taking it but taking a hot chocolate (treat normally not in my food program)

It just cost effort to get where you want to go and it all depends on how far you are willing to go.

Thanks no worries.

They said that there werent any issues with HRT for women and then they found out there were quite a lot of issues.

I am not willing to take the risk when I feel pretty good anyway.

The only real difference I feel from when I was younger is that I dont have same obsessive sexual drive that I had up until my mid forties. This is of course means that testosterone is lowering which means also it is harder to keep weight of the abdominal area of the body. I suppose it would be nice to stay young forever but the reality is a little different.

I know a lot of guys take testosterone injections , gels etc and if i was really low in T i would consider it but I am okay in that area just not as polific as when i was younger.

My diet is pretty good but I do eat cakes, and drink alchohol moderately and eat other rubbish when i feel like it. I work on an 80 percent good diet and my 80 percent good is better than what most people ever eat.

@tolly

Thanks no worries.

They said that there werent any issues with HRT for women and then they found out there were quite a lot of issues.

I am not willing to take the risk when I feel pretty good anyway.

The only real difference I feel from when I was younger is that I dont have same obsessive sexual drive that I had up until my mid forties. This is of course means that testosterone is lowering which means also it is harder to keep weight of the abdominal area of the body. I suppose it would be nice to stay young forever but the reality is a little different.

I know a lot of guys take testosterone injections , gels etc and if i was really low in T i would consider it but I am okay in that area just not as polific as when i was younger.

My diet is pretty good but I do eat cakes, and drink alchohol moderately and eat other rubbish when i feel like it. I work on an 80 percent good diet and my 80 percent good is better than what most people ever eat.

My diet / food program is pretty strict but i do have a treat once in a while. But i choose for it i want to get what i never had (6 pack) and know it will cost time and effort.

Myself i would do HRT i read enough about steriods and side effects that i don't worry that much. During my whole training life i done 2 cycles of testostorone (much higher as HRT levels). I did plenty of research about it. For me the risks are acceptable, but this is a choice we all make.

I will see what happens later, but im not negative against it.

robblok

You are quite young yeah under forty?

Unless you had low levels of T I wouldnt ever consider it but that is of course up to you.

Its a personal thing i guess.. and what are low levels.. I am now in the middle range. But its not optimum. Anyway we all make choices and we all see risks differently.

Hi guys,

First off, when I say I am not looking to look like a body builder, what I mean is I dont "need" that much. What I mean is I am looking for an atheletic look.... if that makes any difference smile.png

Multi-gyms; I haven't actually "looked" yet. I want to find out what to look for before I go looking smile.png If I google "multi gym" it comes up with stuff like this : http://www.google.co...9,r:2,s:0,i:101

If you want the athletic look, you will be better off on a good diet and doing, well, athletics

Sarcasm aside, I'll try and clarify some issues that a lot of people do not know or understand. If you train your arse off using free weights and some machines, keep at it for a number of years, and take care of your diet, then you will probably achieve what you're after. Unless you've been gifted with unique genes, then there is no way on Earth that you will look like a 'Body builder' unless, again you train your arse off for years,eat a specialized diet, and are on juice. For visualization of what I'm trying to say, look up 'Natural Bodybuilders' on Youtube and things should be a little clearer.

Hi guys,

Ok i got a multi gym like that and compared to a power rack with some barbells its worthless.

These things are cheap and there is no way you can do all the exercises you need.

That you don't need much.. you will be suprised how much you need before your looks change. People seem to think its easy to get muscular its is not. Even an athletic look takes a lot of time and also diet (to loose fat)

Just google gymware to get a better idea about power racks and such. The thing you are talking about will NEVER help you reach your goal. Just wait for Tropo and anyone else that ever touched some weights to confirm.

I am not trying to discourage you just giving you some good information here about home gyms. The thing you showed there could be a good supplement to a power rack. Depending on what kind you have.

Also please remember you will have to work out at least 3 times a week and probably change your eating habits a bit.

There's parks all over Thailand in towns and villages that have exercise equipment, and they are free. I use these most mornings. I don't have big muscles as I think they are ugly, I enjoy my food, I weigh 80 kilos am reasonably slim at 6ft tall, better that than the cost of home gym equipment.

. I don't have big muscles as I think they are ugly,

...or is it that you couldn't get them no matter how hard you tried? It's not easy for a 6 foot guy with a light to medium frame to get "big muscles"... almost impossible in fact. I haven't managed to get big muscles in 36 years of training and I've tried very hard. You may think they're "big" by comparison to you, but "big" is a subjective word.

Hi guys,

There's parks all over Thailand in towns and villages that have exercise equipment, and they are free. I use these most mornings. I don't have big muscles as I think they are ugly, I enjoy my food, I weigh 80 kilos am reasonably slim at 6ft tall, better that than the cost of home gym equipment.

That is a personal choice people have to make. I can tell you one thing you will never get big muscles unless you train well and you can't in a park. But that is your choice, others might want to work out in their own gym and privacy.

. I can tell you one thing you will never get big muscles unless you train well and you can't in a park.

Depending of course on what we consider "big", but I gave up trying to get big muscles. It will never happen without perfect genes, lots of drugs and total dedication for a decade or so. I gave up this year actually - decided to lose the fat and thereby give the illusion that the muscles are bigger. It must be working, because I ran into a lady a few days ago (at the gym) who hasn't seen me since I was over 115kg. I'm now 100kg. She didn't notice any difference. You'd think that losing 15kg would be a noticeable difference, but the increased definition gave her the illusion I'm still "bigger".

Now we have the second cliché that we often hear in regards to bodybuilding. A classic - "I don't want big muscles because they're ugly" to add to "I don't want to look like a bodybuilder".biggrin.png

It gives the impression that muscles may magically appear the moment you pick up a barbell... at the same time depreciating the effort put in by people who are actually trying to build muscle.

. I can tell you one thing you will never get big muscles unless you train well and you can't in a park.

Depending of course on what we consider "big", but I gave up trying to get big muscles. It will never happen without perfect genes, lots of drugs and total dedication for a decade or so. I gave up this year actually - decided to lose the fat and thereby give the illusion that the muscles are bigger. It must be working, because I ran into a lady a few days ago (at the gym) who hasn't seen me since I was over 115kg. I'm now 100kg. She didn't notice any difference. You'd think that losing 15kg would be a noticeable difference, but the increased definition gave her the illusion I'm still "bigger".

Now we have the second cliché that we often hear in regards to bodybuilding. A classic - "I don't want big muscles because they're ugly" to add to "I don't want to look like a bodybuilder".biggrin.png

It gives the impression that muscles may magically appear the moment you pick up a barbell... at the same time depreciating the effort put in by people who are actually trying to build muscle.

yes all the you turn into it over night.. its not going to happen. Anyway IMHO your reasonably big, but if i compare you to a pro bodybuilder you are not. So it all depends who i compare you with. Your definitely muscular.

yes all the you turn into it over night.. its not going to happen. Anyway IMHO your reasonably big, but if i compare you to a pro bodybuilder you are not. So it all depends who i compare you with. Your definitely muscular.

That's right, next to pro bodybuilders I would be a skinny guy with some definition. Unfortunately for me I've been observing/admiring these big guys since I was a young boy so my idea of "big" is way up there. After watching the recent Mr Olympia competition I would look in the mirror and see a skinny guy who looks like he's never been to the gym.biggrin.png

Edited by tropo