Retirement Extension- Pattaya Oct 1

I have just returned from Pattaya (Jomtien) Immigration and I'm all set to pick up my Extension of Stay for Retirement tomorrow.

By way of background information, I missed my February 2012 Retirement Extension renewal because of a sick parent. I remained in the US until August 8 2012 and arrived at Bangkok on August 10 with a Non-Immigrant O, issued from the Portland, Oregan Consulate.

I spent the weekend in Bangkok and received my Verification of Income leter from the US Embassy this morning. I caought the bus back to Pattaya and decided to "go for it" so off to Jomtien I went.

My last renewal in Jomtien was 2010 and they insisted on a bank balance certification letter, even though I had an Income Letter from the US Embassy. So today I stopped by the Kasikorn Bank branch on Jomtien Beach near soi three and waited 30 minutes and paid 200 baht for a bank balance certification (Waste of time and money- this time Immigration didn't want the letter and handed it back to me...)

I had my Extension of Stay form filled out and copies of my passport ready so I received a que ticket and -wonder of wonders- they called my number before I could take a seat! (around 3 pm)

Handed my passport and documents to a staffer who was assisting the same official that collected my papers in 2010. Was asked to have a seat at an area immediately behind the desk where I submitted my docs. Waited about 15 minutes and a more senior offical quickly reviewed my docs, gave me a ticket and told me to return tomorrow for my extension.

Good service, since I had arrived late in the day and figured that I might be told to come back early tomorrow (My last renewal was on 2011 at Chiang Mai and there you must arrive early, they only process a limited number of renewals per day.

Today was a positive experience for me, about my fastest renewal ever. In the past, I lived and renewed at Suan Plu in Bangkok and I have waited as long as four hours to submit my documents to an Immigration official. Some of the staffers in Bangkok made me submit a copy of EVERY previous extension and re-entry permit. Not Jomtien :)

Any way, that was my experience today :)

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing this - I find things go smoothly with Immi. if you have a 'glass is always [at least] half-full' attitude, do your homework and present required photocopies, take a book to read while waiting.... Rome wasn't built in a day, but usually takes me much less than that time to get the job done. AA

Oct 2.

Went to Immigration at 12:10 pm and picked up my Retirement Extension of Stay :)

Even though it was lunch time, staff were eating at their desks and I was cheerfully handed my passport with the new extension stamp.

Soi 5 Jomtien is undergoing road construction (replacing the paving actually) so a word to the wise: if you are driving a car, I would advise parking outside the soi. The entire soi is one lane only.

Good luck to all!

Lance

In Jomtien? They have a normal next day from most reports I have seen (although thought there were recent reports of a change). Most other offices provide same day as it is a local decision.

I've done two extensions at Jomtien and both were next day.