Pesticide Free, Organic Vegetables, Free Range Grazing Livestock, Exist In Cm?

tangcoral

Assuming thailand produces probably have a higher level of pesticides/hormones levels than the strict regulatory laws of western counterpart.

Looking to minimize the exposure of chemicals in food for my kids.

Where can one obtain vegetable/meats free from pesticide or hormone uses?

What are some reliable store, farms, even backyard growers that would carry such product?

Some might say no such thing as pesticide free...okay fine, how about low level pesticides use.

I hesitate to use the word organic as the term is so loosely used and labeled by farmers, producers and marketers.

There seems to be no controlling organisation or what so ever. There are some farms with guidance from falang. The pun pun restaurants at wat suan dok and santitham grow their own vegetables, you can sell some veggies at the restaurant in santitham too. www.punpunthailand.org What I do is buying from royal project farms/shops and buy "organic" at rimping and some from Aden health shop. I juice a lot and notice no direct harmfull reactions, on the contrary, I feel great..

Meat seems to be more difficult. The fish I choose in my diet is most from the ocean, some frozen foreign brands are good. Avoid the river fish like tub tim

Good luck..

Edited by Joop50
  • Like 1

Royal Project shop on Suthep Rd, 20m west of Canal Rd intersection, has organic produce.

Mae Hia market, on Canal Road just south of SuperHighway T junction - big veggie stall in middle rear has Royal Project produce and the vendor speaks English.

Betagro for pork and chicken - shop on Suthep Rd almost opposite Nimmenhaemin T junction. Google the company name for quality details.

The big supermarkets claim to offer "organic" produce but given the volumes they must buy I highly doubt the claims. Recent tests in BKK showed poor results for some of the biggest retailers.

• Like 1

Interesting article on NHK yesterday regarding population migration to Bangkok, and how some of the younger immigrants were dissatified with their existence in teh Capital, and interviews with people wanting return to home and produce organic produce. Seems it is not just claims, but that teh Thai youth are becoming mire aware of orgainic produce.

Small steps but can only lead to good things.

How about renting a small plot of land and growing your own, then you know what is and is not used in teh production. I am sure many locals would be happy to rent out a rai or two on a yearly basis

• Like 2

Did anyone see the undercover investigation on Channel 7 News about a month ago? It ran for a week on the evening news. They purchased "organic fruit and vegetables" all over Thailand; including from markets in Chiang Mai. They tested the produce at an independent laboratory and the average "pesticide free" vegetable contained 15 chemicals! Due to slander/libel laws they could not give the names but on the Chiang Mai segment, the news truck clearly passed by Muang Mai Market, and a market near Chiang Mai University.

The best thing you can do is soak your vegetables in Sodium Bicarbonate for 20 minutes and then rinse with drinking water. Many restaurants now have signs stating that they wash their vegetables in Sodium Bicarbonate.

Did anyone see the undercover investigation on Channel 7 News about a month ago? It ran for a week on the evening news. They purchased "organic fruit and vegetables" all over Thailand; including from markets in Chiang Mai. They tested the produce at an independent laboratory and the average "pesticide free" vegetable contained 15 chemicals! Due to slander/libel laws they could not give the names but on the Chiang Mai segment, the news truck clearly passed by Muang Mai Market, and a market near Chiang Mai University.

The best thing you can do is soak your vegetables in Sodium Bicarbonate for 20 minutes and then rinse with drinking water. Many restaurants now have signs stating that they wash their vegetables in Sodium Bicarbonate.

The wife does this religiously! She will also only buy green leafy vegetables with lots of caterpillar holes as it's a good indicator of nil, or low, pesticide use.

The wife does this religiously! She will also only buy green leafy vegetables with lots of caterpillar holes as it's a good indicator of nil, or low, pesticide use.

We've been doing it religiously for about 2 years now.

Indeed, a carefull rinse is very important, The methode I use is to put 4-5 table spoons of rice vinegar in the soaking water and I put ozone with an air machine.Rinse for 20 minutes. The combination of vinegar and sodium bicarbonate or rinse soap is also a good option. After rinse with some reversed osmose water. (the cheap drinking water or your own house installation.) I rinse the veggies in once for the whole day.

Edited by Joop50

Interesting article on NHK yesterday regarding population migration to Bangkok, and how some of the younger immigrants were dissatified with their existence in teh Capital, and interviews with people wanting return to home and produce organic produce. Seems it is not just claims, but that teh Thai youth are becoming mire aware of orgainic produce.

How about renting a small plot of land and growing your own, then you know what is and is not used in teh production. I am sure many locals would be happy to rent out a rai or two on a yearly basis

I grow organic produce for my family and we have 50 talang wha (1/8 rai) for veg which is big enough. We also have another rai for fruit, 1/2 rai chickens and fish and 2 rai more for rice which is great fun. BTW interesting clip

There was an Guy that had an organic farm in Chiang Dao. Don't think he is there at the moment but you could contact him through his web page http://momsorganicfarm.com.

He was very intense/committed what ever you want to call it as produce was linked to some (fringe - my word) medical treatment. Have no doubt his produce was pesticide free.

Jeff Rutherford feeds his family almost wholly from what he grows. He's not a big producer but does sell livestock occasionally, and I believe he sells vegetables every Saturday at one of the international schools. A very nice chap, he too is committed to organic farming and rallies local farmers to (stop or) minimise their use of pesticides. Contact him via FB or go visit. He is welcoming and generous with tips, advice etc. He grows 3 different types of rice and if you're lucky, he might feed you some. Yum!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Fair-Earth-Farm/196523863744326

• Like 1

Not in my village they didn't. Offered 5 rai free of charge to anybody in the village to grow only organic - not one would accept but they kept pestering me to grow rice on it which they stated openly they would use herbicides and pesticides. It is still available but I doubt the offer will be be taken up. TIT

Not in my village they didn't. Offered 5 rai free of charge to anybody in the village to grow only organic - not one would accept but they kept pestering me to grow rice on it which they stated openly they would use herbicides and pesticides. It is still available but I doubt the offer will be be taken up. TIT

A crying shame, if you are still around in a few years you may have a tenant.

Good on you.

Jeff Rutherford feeds his family almost wholly from what he grows. He's not a big producer but does sell livestock occasionally, and I believe he sells vegetables every Saturday at one of the international schools. A very nice chap, he too is committed to organic farming and rallies local farmers to (stop or) minimise their use of pesticides. Contact him via FB or go visit. He is welcoming and generous with tips, advice etc. He grows 3 different types of rice and if you're lucky, he might feed you some. Yum!

http://www.facebook....196523863744326

Tried emailing but it bounced, any idea if this CSA is still going on and how to contact? Thanks.

Tried emailing but it bounced, any idea if this CSA is still going on and how to contact? Thanks.

CSA is definitely still active. Was it the Fair Earth email address that bounced? You can probably contact Jeff directly via Facebook. PM'd you the address I have.

CSA is definitely still active. Was it the Fair Earth email address that bounced? You can probably contact Jeff directly via Facebook. PM'd you the address I have.

Awesome, thanks for sending that. I'll give it another shot.

http://www.chiangmai...hp?id=3434 you can contact here too.. We did it for a few weeks, very good but always too much of one thing for us.. the variety wasn't great but it just depends on the season I suppose! Good luck, I have another number somewhere for the delivery person in Chiang Mai, PM if you get stuck and I will dig it out.. Regards CM2

correct link here.. http://www.chiangmainews.com/ecmn/viewfa.php?id=3434

Edited by ChiangMai2

The Royal Project does offer some organic products but it was established as a project to help people switch to alternative crops providing education and a market place so they do not claim to be an organic option.

Agree

Should i mention only organic wine at Cool guest house sripoom 87. Also organic french food. A bit a private place but open everyday except tuesday, slide the gate.

The Royal Project does offer some organic products but it was established as a project to help people switch to alternative crops providing education and a market place so they do not claim to be an organic option.

Agree

Should i mention only organic wine at Cool guest house sripoom 87. Also organic french food. A bit a private place but open everyday except tuesday, slide the gate.

Sripoom 87? Please explain the location a bit more.

Agree

Sripoom 87? Please explain the location a bit more.

Sripoom road 87, after jok sompet passing rich coffee

Http://coolguesthouse.com/map

I grow organic produce for my family and we have 50 talang wha (1/8 rai) for veg which is big enough. We also have another rai for fruit, 1/2 rai chickens and fish and 2 rai more for rice which is great fun. BTW interesting clip

Hi jungle chef.i also grow organic produce for me and the girlfreind on 1 rai.i am coming to cm on 12th so would be good to meet up and see your garden.getting back on topic there are small independent farmers .growers in the cm area.and yes some of the growers at the organic market do use chemicals and label them organic.

do you not have a small bit of land you can grow your own ..The good earth farm might be a good place for you to visit...i sometimes have surplus

Where does one purchase Sodium Bicarbonate, and what is it called in Thai?