800.-Baht Surcharge For Bringing A Guest In Deevana Hotel?

moskito

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I could see how someone staying in a nice hotel with their Thai wife or Thai girlfriend could easily have a problem, especially with the night staff, after coming home from a night out.

I have never during my 20 + years in Thailand, had a problem when we checked in together, albeit with girlfriend or wife.

it is discourage people from bringing whore into the resort. simple innit?

So, if I'm wealthy (what TAT would like to call a "high-end tourist" - the demographic of tourist they are trying to target) and 800 baht is nothing to me, how does it discourage me? How does it deter me? I pay the 800 baht - it's probably just added to the room bill, and I take the Thai prositute to my room.

What has the fee acheived, other than spin more money for the hotel?

So, if I'm wealthy (what TAT would like to call a "high-end tourist" - the demographic of tourist they are trying to target) and 800 baht is nothing to me, how does it discourage me?

OK, but obviously the OP is not a wealthy high end tourist and it has caused him immense stress.

I could see how someone staying in a nice hotel with their Thai wife or Thai girlfriend could easily have a problem, especially with the night staff, after coming home from a night out.

I have never during my 20 + years in Thailand, had a problem when we checked in together, albeit with girlfriend or wife.

Sure, I never stated that everyone would have a problem, I stated it's possible the problem could happen.

So, if you stayed in a "non-guest friendly hotel" how would you handle the situation if one of the new, and possibly not well trained, reception staff say to you upon check-in, "Sir, we have 800 baht fee for Thai lady stay in room with you" because she thinks you are here on a holiday and she is your 2 week Thai girlfriend/hooker.

Then, once you sort that issue out, you go out for a night, during which, the night shift staff start work. You then come home around 1am and the staff say, "Sir, we have 800 baht fee for Thai lady stay your room." How do you deal with this situation, given the manager doesn't work night shift.

I could see how it wouldn't make for a pleasant experience and a happy customer, and you may be paying top dollar for a nice hotel.

Sure, I never stated that everyone would have a problem, I stated it's possible the problem could happen.

So, if you stayed in a "non-guest friendly hotel" how would you handle the situation if one of the new, and possibly not well trained, reception staff say to you upon check-in, "Sir, we have 800 baht fee for Thai lady stay in room with you" because she thinks you are here on a holiday and she is your 2 week Thai girlfriend/hooker.

Then, once you sort that issue out, you go out for a night, during which, the night shift staff start work. You then come home around 1am and the staff say, "Sir, we have 800 baht fee for Thai lady stay your room." How do you deal with this situation, given the manager doesn't work night shift.

I could see how it wouldn't make for a pleasant experience and a happy customer, and you may be paying top dollar for a nice hotel.

Sorry, I don't do hypothetical's........it's never happened and I don't envisage having such a problem. smile.png

So, if I'm wealthy (what TAT would like to call a "high-end tourist" - the demographic of tourist they are trying to target) and 800 baht is nothing to me, how does it discourage me?

OK, but obviously the OP is not a wealthy high end tourist and it has caused him immense stress.

Sure, the OP's problem seems to be that the 800 baht fee is excesive and that he was not informed about it upon check-in or on their website etc, however, many members see the fee as a way to attract families to their hotel and a way to deter customers from bringing home Thai hookers.

The 800 baht fee may see a few customers choose to stay elsewhere, but for many, the fee would be of no deterrent at all. Especially if it's a nice hotel, with expensive room rates, attracting more wealthy customers. So, all the fee has done is made more money for the hotel.

Edited by NamKangMan

Sorry, I don't do hypothetical's........it's never happened and I don't envisage having such a problem. smile.png

So, are you are saying that this could never happen?

Sure, the OP's problem seems to be that the 800 baht fee is excesive and that he was not informed about it upon check-in or on their website etc

Maybe the website should state that if you try to sneak a hooker in, we will charge you 800 Baht.

I don't think the check in staff should say this

I guess as a newcomer to 'the scene', he will have learned a lesson.

All the OP has done by pretending it wasn't him has sent his BP much, much higher than it was.

Edited by uptheos

I was asked for a bt. 900 fee at a nerby hotel when I visited the area with a Filipina friend. She provided her passport when we checked in. The hotel back down but then someone called us the next morning at 7 am and said she needed to leave my room.

All the staff at the front desk denied calling our room when I showed up about 15 seconds after the call ended. But somebody did call the following morning at 8 to tell us our tour bus was waiting for us. We never arranged for a tour bus.

I appreciate the feelings of the members who feel any P4P is sinful but it's also a reality in LOS. I was not on a P4P situation with my friend.

I was asked for a bt. 900 fee at a nerby hotel when I visited the area with a Filipina friend. She provided her passport when we checked in. The hotel back down but then someone called us the next morning at 7 am and said she needed to leave my room.

All the staff at the front desk denied calling our room when I showed up about 15 seconds after the call ended. But somebody did call the following morning at 8 to tell us our tour bus was waiting for us. We never arranged for a tour bus.

I appreciate the feelings of the members who feel any P4P is sinful but it's also a reality in LOS. I was not on a P4P situation with my friend.

Sounds as if you sorted out the first incident OK after 15 seconds.

Someone probably got the room numbers mixed up with second incident.

IMO taking a chick into a hotel is not sinful, because I don't believe in sin it's a biblical concept. I do believe in knowing what you're doing before encountering on the task though. Unfortunately, most blokes are so drunk they get everything mixed up.

Nothing to do with skin colour, only to do with bringing an unregistered girl in.

"is it not a rule to state it somewhere BEFORE the guest is booking a room for

a couple of thousand Baht a day?"

Did he ask the price for an extra guest before he booked the room?

yes he did. It is a double room he booked. A friend want join him on his trip to Thailand but had a time problem..so he had to go alone...

That is not an answer to my question or your own statement. So I'll ask again, this time more clearly: did he ask the price to take back to his room a non-registered guest before he booked?

The answer will be 'no'. So that means he is ordering first and asking about prices later.

So only in Thailand you must ask upfront if your room price includes non-registered guests ? And in your opinion this is very normal while in the rest of the world this is not ?

If the above questions are answered with yes then you have, as stated by another poster, an island view, maybe been here too long .

Patong is not a sex tourist destination... It is the major tourist destination/location on Phuket... (but it is a bit of a shithole)...

My wife and I found ourselves stationed there, in a very nice hotel, by a travel agent... I sure as hell wouldn't have been impressed to be sitting there beside her, on an expensive holiday, surrounded by sex tourists and their conquest for the night... If I wanted my hotel to be seen to be upmarket, and marketed through travel agencies abroad, I would most certainly have a joiner policy and enforce it... many many many more people book holidays through agents for destinations they have never been to, than return to the destination because it is a good place to chase overnight financial relationships...

I don't believe that the joiner policy prevents prostitutes specifically, but rather 'unregistered guests after 10pm' or such... now enforcement might be more specific in that they only challenge quests returning with a Thai lady...

If I was reading a hotels brochure and they felt the need to specifically state their joiner policy, (and I understood what they were referring to) I would question my decision to stay there... if they have a problem with so many people wanting to bring girls back to their room, sex tourists not being known for their high levels of taste, I would be questioning the quality of the hotel... If they state that guests are welcome, I would question the hotel for the same reasons...

Staff working at night may not enforce the policy in all cases; They may be able to identify whether a girl is or is not a prostitute by her looks, age, age relative to the purchaser, and target you for enforcement that reason... They may challenge you regardless of whether the girl is a prostitute, or a pickup in a nightclub... the policy and outcome is the same... unfortunately that often leads to embarrassment for the girl who will feel she is being accused of being a prostitute...

I am sure many hotels around the world would not allow this in their hotels at all - no joiners permitted...

It was very easy for 'your friend' to avoid this entirely by searching online for whether there was a joiner policy for that hotel... either way, he got screwed...

yes he did. It is a double room he booked. A friend want join him on his trip to Thailand but had a time problem..so he had to go alone...

I wonder if the 'friend' was male or female? wink.png

Guess the poor guy just wanted his oats.

Nothing to do with skin colour, only to do with bringing an unregistered girl in.

"is it not a rule to state it somewhere BEFORE the guest is booking a room for

a couple of thousand Baht a day?"

Did he ask the price for an extra guest before he booked the room?

That is not an answer to my question or your own statement. So I'll ask again, this time more clearly: did he ask the price to take back to his room a non-registered guest before he booked?

The answer will be 'no'. So that means he is ordering first and asking about prices later.

So only in Thailand you must ask upfront if your room price includes non-registered guests ? And in your opinion this is very normal while in the rest of the world this is not ?

If the above questions are answered with yes then you have, as stated by another poster, an island view, maybe been here too long .

Where did the 'only in Thailand' thingy come from? I did not talk about that at all, plus it is not relevant to the Op nor what I stated here. But I would expect anywhere in the world to be a check or maybe a charge from any hotel if I bring an unregistered guest into the hotel.

And how can an 'island view' relate to the whole of Thailand?

Edited by stevenl

On a tangent, I wonder what the percentage is of the extra money charged is between going to the hotel, and going to the night staff that just pockets the money?

Do all these hotels provide official receipts of the extra guest charge, or do they hope said Casanova will just slink off sheepishly without getting an official receipt? I can see this as a nice money spinner for late night staff and security guards, security cameras or not.

On a tangent, I wonder what the percentage is of the extra money charged is between going to the hotel, and going to the night staff that just pockets the money?

Do all these hotels provide official receipts of the extra guest charge, or do they hope said Casanova will just slink off sheepishly without getting an official receipt? I can see this as a nice money spinner for late night staff and security guards, security cameras or not.

Yes, but probably shared with the day staff, as they are the ones returning the ID card.

Good point. Maybe standing straight and asking for a receipt will remedy the situation.

However, it's not easy to stand or think straight after a dozen Chang's.

Has anyone here ever heard the word rationalization. Seems to me many here are trying very hard to rationalize a money grabbing ploy not one step from pimping. If a hotel feels its clientele are inclined to go to ladies of the night in the area where they do business maybe they should have done more research before investing. Also this doesnot say much about what the hotel thinks of its clientele. Perhaps some people would take offense to being treated like a whoremonger by people who are paid to be of service to him(hotel staff) not judge and persecute.

I have never heard of this. I brought ladies back a while ago and never had to pay even in a good hotel on sukhumvit bangkok

I have booked hotels with only my name and then brought my gf and our kid, they said you should of told us but never had a surcharge.

I know a lot of people in the west who've booked hotels for 1 person and brought people at no surcharge (that goes for motels too)

I know dozens of young people in thailand who've booked hotels for themselves everywhere in the country and never had to pay a surcharge.

So imo they only dislike you or its because you are old and i have no sample size for that

I have never heard of this. I brought ladies back a while ago and never had to pay even in a good hotel on sukhumvit bangkok

I have booked hotels with only my name and then brought my gf and our kid, they said you should of told us but never had a surcharge.

I know a lot of people in the west who've booked hotels for 1 person and brought people at no surcharge (that goes for motels too)

I know dozens of young people in thailand who've booked hotels for themselves everywhere in the country and never had to pay a surcharge.

So imo they only dislike you or its because you are old and i have no sample size for that

It wasnot that long ago in Thailand double or single was the same price.The price differences were based on comforts. examples Fan as compared to aircon

It never used to matter how many people stayed in the room.

I went to Thai wedding in Chonburi we were from out of town so needed a room. All together there were 12 of us. The hotel simply threw mattress's on the floor and gave us extra bedding. We rented 2 rooms. No extra charge.We could have had an orgy.

Edited by lovelomsak
  • Like 1

Joiner fees are common in Thailand and in a few other countries. My own first hand experiences over the last 20 years of travelling around the world:

- when checking into the Amari Boulevard in Sukhumvit Bangkok, the receptionist told me straight out as she was handing me the key that the joiner fee is 800 baht.

- we once had a management meeting in Amari Watergate Bangkok. Due to some mix up, one of my colleagues was booked into standard rather than executive floor. On the night out with two other colleagues, they each brought a girl back with them. Security stopped us. They allowed one of my colleagues who was on the exec floor with me but rejected the other who was on the standard floor. In order to avoid a scene, I "decided" to take this girl myself to the exec floor and the security relented. In the lift on the way up, I handed the girl back to my other colleague

- in St. Petersburg, I took my (ex) Russian gf back to my room after a company function. Security tried to stop us but after a scene, they relented

- in the Mandarin Oriental Manila, I was presented with an additional bill on checkout as in 1 of the 4 nts I stayed there, it was for "double" occupancy. The hotel had thoughtfully separated this surcharge from the main bill in case I wanted to pay cash or with separate credit card.

- in many hotels along Ratchadapisek Bangkok, there is a term called "green light". This is for VIP guests that enjoy a waiver on joiner fees.

Joiner fees are common in Thailand and in a few other countries. My own first hand experiences over the last 20 years of travelling around the world:

- when checking into the Amari Boulevard in Sukhumvit Bangkok, the receptionist told me straight out as she was handing me the key that the joiner fee is 800 baht.

- we once had a management meeting in Amari Watergate Bangkok. Due to some mix up, one of my colleagues was booked into standard rather than executive floor. On the night out with two other colleagues, they each brought a girl back with them. Security stopped us. They allowed one of my colleagues who was on the exec floor with me but rejected the other who was on the standard floor. In order to avoid a scene, I "decided" to take this girl myself to the exec floor and the security relented. In the lift on the way up, I handed the girl back to my other colleague

- in St. Petersburg, I took my (ex) Russian gf back to my room after a company function. Security tried to stop us but after a scene, they relented

- in the Mandarin Oriental Manila, I was presented with an additional bill on checkout as in 1 of the 4 nts I stayed there, it was for "double" occupancy. The hotel had thoughtfully separated this surcharge from the main bill in case I wanted to pay cash or with separate credit card.

- in many hotels along Ratchadapisek Bangkok, there is a term called "green light". This is for VIP guests that enjoy a waiver on joiner fees.

Some top shelf hotels there. Maybe you could give us your experiences in the mile high club ? An A380 would be a good call !

Some top shelf hotels there. Maybe you could give us your experiences in the mile high club ? An A380 would be a good call !

Unfortunately, yet to fly in a 380. Most of my long hauls are either 747's, 777 and 340-400 as I fly mostly TG. Last few trips to Europe however, I've been flying ETIHAD - full flat seat/bed, private cubicle. Puts TG to shame and 20% cheaper. Will try the 380 when they launch to Hkg, Par and Fra.

I went back and read the question. Here are the answers.

Q. Since when is it usual, to charge Farangs 800.-BAHT for bringing a girl into a hotel?

A. It has been "usual" for many years. Price varies by hotel.

Q. or they should generally say NO BARGIRLS ALLOWED here... what kind of new politics is this in LoS?

A. This is not new "politics" in LOS. As stated previously, it has been this way for many years.

Q. is it not a rule to state it somewhere BEFORE the guest is booking a room for a couple of thousand Baht a day?

A. No, it is not a "rule". It is up to the discretion of the person staying at the hotel to check prior to booking.

Any other questions?

sure, the other question was in which country we will find the same conditions? on this question there was absolutely nothing except a lot of hot air, and when I read the comments here I still stick to what I said earlier...most members here doesnt even bother to READ...before posting no answer at all... some try to be very clever and explain Thailand to somebody who stays here already when they are happily married back home :) ... before the new sexy girl ripped all off what they brought here i mean hehehe

But its absolutely OK, I am used to people coming here for the first time on a three week holiday and explain me how Thailand really work, after 2 weeks... I am loving them...reminds me of most of the members here...specially these ones with a couple of thousand posts in two years....

In a way I have to agree with Moskito. On the Phuket forum it is always the same "wolf pack" that attack a poster without having the decency to answer questions in a civil manner. "This is Thailand, get used to it or piss off" Jeezz how many time times I have read that. It is a bit like some expat bars around the island, you walk in and immediately feel like you are and intruder. The "daily bunch" would look at you as you were an alien and no conversation would be possible. Luckily there are many bars where on is welcomed with a smile and a "how are you mate"

You, very active posters are said wolf-pack and you are destroying this forum.

Many have answered his opening post, but mostly did not agree with him. He got angry about that and that was the end of it.

this question was answered already..so why do you personally think you answered it better again as DLock did already???? ohhh forgot, u are one of those never read anything BEFORE posting smile.png ....toooooo much time....wasted... but i guess you are just 28 and have plenty of it left wink.png upsiii, just saw your avatar...congrats...if you can write in this age already and are not one of these grandfathers starting with 65 a new papabusiness with a 40y,o. younger girl.....which is totally different from ...all the others.. and I am NOT ANGRY :) just bothered

Edited by moskito

In a way I have to agree with Moskito. On the Phuket forum it is always the same "wolf pack" that attack a poster without having the decency to answer questions in a civil manner. "This is Thailand, get used to it or piss off" Jeezz how many time times I have read that. It is a bit like some expat bars around the island, you walk in and immediately feel like you are and intruder. The "daily bunch" would look at you as you were an alien and no conversation would be possible. Luckily there are many bars where on is welcomed with a smile and a "how are you mate"

You, very active posters are said wolf-pack and you are destroying this forum.

Many have answered his opening post, but mostly did not agree with him. He got angry about that and that was the end of it.

this question was answered already..so why do you personally think you answered it better again as DLock did already???? ohhh forgot, u are one of those never read anything BEFORE posting smile.png ....toooooo much time....wasted... but i guess you are just 28 and have plenty of it left wink.png upsiii, just saw your avatar...congrats...if you can write in this age already and are not one of these grandfathers starting with 65 a new papabusiness with a 40y,o. younger girl.....which is totally different from ...all the others.. and I am NOT ANGRY smile.png just bothered

Nothing right in your post. Why make it personal and come with personal insults, I have not insulted you anywhere.

Don't bother answering.

• Like 1