Rice Pledging / "great God! This Is An Awful Place….”

cooked

I see that instead of following what seem to me to be sensible proposals for adjusting the rice pledging scheme (for instance, no family should receive more than ฿350 000.-, meaning that 'some big landowners' would be losing out), that they merely cut the budget by 40%, meaning presumably, that the small farmers will now get even less.

The red shirts have told the farmers that academics want to abolish the scheme and are demonstrating against these proposals, egged on by the red shirts of course.

Is it worth while following this kind of thing and being annoyed or should one devote one's life to beer and girls? Maybe the most depraved of Farangs in Pattaya are right in saying to hell with it, life is too short.

Well perhaps we should not worry too much about things that we cannot change. I have enough to do without all that. Yes I follow it as best I can, but considering the issues of face and lobbyists here I figure it will change more often than the wind does. At least the poor farmer will get something out of it, if only his rent-a-crowd appearance money and a free feed.

• Like 2

There was a piece on BBC World News this AM. Only the big land owner farmers get any real benefit. Exporters are pissed, as it's too expensive to sell. The farmers keep planting, cos they will get paid regardless. Exports down 40% on last year.

I live in a small village in Isaan and the people grow mostly Khao Neow and the land each family has is only about 5 to 25 rai. The rice they grow is almost always for their own consumption. I don't know of anyone in our village who benefits from the rice pledging scheme. I would imagine that one would have to be farming at least 100 rai to benefit and if you have that much in rice paddies you are not poor. I agree with Cooked, put a limit of say 360,000 baht on how much each family can get. That would give each family 30,000 baht a month minus say 50% in production costs for a net of 15,000 a month, they would no longer be poor. Also try to help the poor subsistence farmer, by training them in better growing practices and perhaps subsidizing their fertilizer and chemicals.

My understanding of this slight of hand money exchange is that the government is paying for paddy grain. The photos I have seen of bulk storage confirm this is paddy, not milled.

This whole potential scam was apparent from the start, just from past record of Thailand and her proposed help for farmers. But if the payments, storage payment, etc are paid on a bulk weight that will lose up to 25% after milling, this will make past scammers look like kindergarden kids.

• Like 1