Eight Bangkok Areas Face Flooding

webfact

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yingluck and the PTP are liars but everyone knows that. Anyway there are provinces flooded already even though there were promises it would not happen. Now parts of BKK are to flood while that was promised not to happen.

I just hope i escape it this year, seems different as last year but i did buy wading gear to be safe. There is a big chance that i wont have to use it as this year the big dams did not release their water. So i guess im ok. But i rather prepare.

PATWATERMASTERWADER.jpg

Should have had a print on it.. saying "I believe in Yingluck"

Do they come in Burberry style also?
  • Like 1

This is just hype. There will be no major floods this year. Two years ago was worse than this year and the media didn't make much deal out of it. This year every flash flood is reported as a catastrophe. This year water levels are not even close to those last year. Ayudhaya town was under water by this time last year. In my opinion Gaemi will bring average rainfall which is common for October. It will landfall over Vietnam, but not Thailand. There will be no 800 mm of rain in Bangkok in October. I don't understand where are they taking these numbers from? I'm pretty positive that this year the floods will not be out of ordinary and Bankok will be flooded by flash floods locally and for a short period of time.

http://www.windfinder.com/forecasts/isobars_clouds_rain_southeast_asia_animation.htm

Yingluck and the PTP are liars but everyone knows that. Anyway there are provinces flooded already even though there were promises it would not happen. Now parts of BKK are to flood while that was promised not to happen.

I just hope i escape it this year, seems different as last year but i did buy wading gear to be safe. There is a big chance that i wont have to use it as this year the big dams did not release their water. So i guess im ok. But i rather prepare.

PATWATERMASTERWADER.jpg

Do they come in Burberry style also?

No idea.. but i wish i had them last year. It was not fun wading through the water all the time. Luckily it was never much deeper as 80cm

This is just hype. There will be no major floods this year. Two years ago was worse than this year and the media didn't make much deal out of it. This year every flash flood is reported as a catastrophe. This year water levels are not even close to those last year. Ayudhaya town was under water by this time last year. In my opinion Gaemi will bring average rainfall which is common for October. It will landfall over Vietnam, but not Thailand. There will be no 800 mm of rain in Bangkok in October. I don't understand where are they taking these numbers from? I'm pretty positive that this year the floods will not be out of ordinary and Bankok will be flooded by flash floods locally and for a short period of time.

http://www.windfinde...a_animation.htm

I agree, though its better to be prepared as last year they never told anyone what could happen till it was done already. As long as they can control those 2 monster dams its ok.

I do believe there is more flooding in BKK now then before because of the lack of draining. Must be tons of sand in the drains.

Will someone please refer me to a news link that actually quotes this famously derided statement in which Yingluck promised the people that there would be NO flooding in Thailand this year? wai.gif

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/562290-pm-yingluck-promises-no-severe-flooding-in-thailand-in-2012/

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/business/No-more-floods-in-next-5-years-Virabongsa-30169458.html

Her is a link were the "PropellMinister" gave a statement.

• Like 1

So when the floods come, what's the PTP excuse this time? They had one year to do something. Well I guess what's important is that someone got rich from the flood funds that were supposed to be used to prevent this from happening again.

There ya go!!! Jeez, I wisht' I was smart like you and could figure out how you get yer facts about folks getting rich offa dis.cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Well maybe he can not give you facts, but can you give us facts on every baht going into flood control?cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

That should be a matter of public record.coffee1.gif

Chainat June 13, PM Yingluck promised no flooding in Thailand in 2012.

Was this one more white lie?

To you and all the other idiots who continue to post what you did... There is no government in this world that can prevent flooding caused by torrential and unusual quantities of rain. Maybe your time would be better spent by going to a temple and praying that your house is saved from the muddy gooey mess that flooding causes here. Further maybe you could also pray that no loss of life occurs.
  • Like 1

http://www.windfinde...a_animation.htm

If the it is true that it is going to be a 5-day stormshower, then this is the smallest flood among the major floods. The good news is that it is the smallest one. The bad news is that, it is still among the major floods.

To you and all the other idiots who continue to post what you did... There is no government in this world that can prevent flooding caused by torrential and unusual quantities of rain. Maybe your time would be better spent by going to a temple and praying that your house is saved from the muddy gooey mess that flooding causes here. Further maybe you could also pray that no loss of life occurs.

Then the Government shouldn´t give idiot promises.
  • Like 2

Governments can prevent floods or at least reduce them, by water management. It is no secret that the floods of last year were exasperated by bad management. Additionally, governments can help alleviate suffering by well organised relief, support and by providing good reliable information. In my area, much of the damage was caused by bad information. One minute a government spokesperson said there would be no floods, the next a different government spokesperson said there would be floods but only a foot or so. In the end everyone was confused and we ended up being flooded by up to two metres. Many people simply weren't prepared. This flood water didn't come out of the blue by torrential rainfall, it came from water that had been making its way down from the north over a matter of months. So with all the so called experts they had at their disposal, don't you think citizens had a right to expect decent reliable information? Your area will be flooded by x number of cms by such and such a date. Is that expecting too much? I don't really think it is myself.

• Like 2

It never ceases to amaze me the amount of negative and cynical comments. Look, who on earth can predict a; 'Major Tropical Storm' look Rome was not built in a 'year'. Stop the negitives and start praising. Well done to all who have worked during the last year to help alliviate the problems of; 'excess rainfall'. Thailand is Thailand not Holland, not US, stop gripeing. If you all feel that bad move back to your counrty of birth.

It never ceases to amaze me the amount of negative and cynical comments. Look, who on earth can predict a; 'Major Tropical Storm' look Rome was not built in a 'year'. Stop the negitives and start praising. Well done to all who have worked during the last year to help alliviate the problems of; 'excess rainfall'. Thailand is Thailand not Holland, not US, stop gripeing. If you all feel that bad move back to your counrty of birth.

Wellcome to the forum.
  • Like 1

Why can't people gripe? This government had a year to do something after last year's disaster. Right in January of this year, some experts were already warning that the floods could possibly return again at the end of the year. But we're not surprised the PTP and their apologists are blaming something else for their failures once again. Many families are gonna be screwed again because of this useless government. But hey, at least some students managed to get their tablets right? I'm sure the families who will have smelly water in their houses again will take comfort in that.

you might not like my response......... frankly I don't care.

Bangkok needs to flood this year and badly. it is necessary. sorry to all you guys living there.

in order for this shambles of a government to be removed and for the thai people to realise that most of the 'flood fund' has been creamed away, then the country needs to experience the same as last year.

incompetence needs to be stopped. corruption needs to be addressed and now, before thailand slides further and further back.

as I type this, the rain is belting down and I applaud it. it will make its way to the capital and then, maybe, just maybe, people will react. change is needed and now. memories of last year need to be remembered this year. how many more people need to die before the thai electorate listen.

Only when it affects the deep pockets of the few, will they address the pockets of the many.

be careful out there.

• Like 1

you might not like my response......... frankly I don't care.

Bangkok needs to flood this year and badly. it is necessary. sorry to all you guys living there.

in order for this shambles of a government to be removed and for the thai people to realise that most of the 'flood fund' has been creamed away, then the country needs to experience the same as last year.

incompetence needs to be stopped. corruption needs to be addressed and now, before thailand slides further and further back.

as I type this, the rain is belting down and I applaud it. it will make its way to the capital and then, maybe, just maybe, people will react. change is needed and now. memories of last year need to be remembered this year. how many more people need to die before the thai electorate listen.

Only when it affects the deep pockets of the few, will they address the pockets of the many.

be careful out there.

I get where you are coming from, but don't forget, this government came to power on the back of violent protests that they were a central part of, and that left inner Bangkok in tatters and in some places, burnt to the ground. So i am really not too sure what affect there would be, or what pressure it would create, from Bangkok getting devastated by another flood.

• Like 1

PATWATERMASTERWADER.jpg

If the flood doesn't come you can always use your waders for some Mahseer fly fishing along the Thai-Myanmar border ( http://www.mahseer-fly-fishing.blogspot.com/ )

a new network of ground control-point stakes, used as references to measure the mean sea level to help with flood prevention, would have to be built because they are either damaged or worn out. He said this could cost as much as Bt100 million, because there are at least 1,000 stakes in Bangkok alone

Did he keep a straight face. Its a painted concrete stick right?

A stick as reference to measure mean sea level in Bangkok ? Either something got lost in translation or I really need to buy a boat.

I can imagine setting up reference points with an exact known position and use GPS or the like to record possible movements. Such would also allow for relating to mean sea level.

With labour costs at 300 Baht/day or more I can understand that positioning a single concrete pillar may well cost THB 100,000 rolleyes.gif

You may know more about this than me, but that seems a tad pricy to me. i put an extra concrete pole up for new electric line, grand cost 8 k and i was probably ripped off. Now precision costs, but paint, gps, concrete fitting. Its shouldn't hopefully even be a very long pole.

Bangkok is only 1m above Sea level.

But wait, there's more........................

"The Science and Technology Ministry's project to reinstall stakes, initially in Bangkok, will also allow untrained members of the public to read mean sea levels themselves, and this might lead to misunderstanding, he added."

so this guy doesn't want any stakes because then untrained members of the public will obviously panic because they can't possibly understand the measurement.

Do you actually need lines painted on a pole to Know that you are swimming and maybe drowning or its time to switch on the pump....are not trip switches employed when water levels are too high and automated pumps start......?? and why build a capital city in a place that floods every year without building adequate flood defenses or maintaining them.... ??..and why do companies build factories in cities that flood badly and they lose production.... and why do idiots rant and rave here.??

bad information. One minute a government spokesperson said there would be no floods, the next a different government spokesperson said there would be floods but only a foot or so. In the end everyone was confused and we ended up being flooded by up to two metres. Many people simply weren't prepared. This flood water didn't come out of the blue by torrential rainfall, it came from water that had been making its way down from the north over a matter of months. So with all the so called experts they had at their disposal, don't you think citizens had a right to expect decent reliable information? Your area will be flooded by x number of cms by such and such a date. Is that expecting too much? I don't really think it is myself.

I initially thought that the government was just grossly incompetent, after all, with their access to data, they could have had a High School Geography class predict where and when it would flood with a reasonable degree of accuracy. (by which I mean within a day or two & within about 1/2 a meter of depth) However, I suspect that there was more to the lack of good information than just stupidity and incompetence. If an area knew that they were going to be flooded, they wouldn't just pack up their valuables and move to higher ground, they would start building a floodwall and demand that the government DO SOMETHING. Of course, as soon as the government did something, like build a 'big bag wall' the people on the wrong side of the wall would start protesting too!

So, to avoid having to make difficult decisions, they probably just let everyone guess whether or not they would be flooded or not.

• Like 1

bad information. One minute a government spokesperson said there would be no floods, the next a different government spokesperson said there would be floods but only a foot or so. In the end everyone was confused and we ended up being flooded by up to two metres. Many people simply weren't prepared. This flood water didn't come out of the blue by torrential rainfall, it came from water that had been making its way down from the north over a matter of months. So with all the so called experts they had at their disposal, don't you think citizens had a right to expect decent reliable information? Your area will be flooded by x number of cms by such and such a date. Is that expecting too much? I don't really think it is myself.

I initially thought that the government was just grossly incompetent, after all, with their access to data, they could have had a High School Geography class predict where and when it would flood with a reasonable degree of accuracy. (by which I mean within a day or two & within about 1/2 a meter of depth) However, I suspect that there was more to the lack of good information than just stupidity and incompetence. If an area knew that they were going to be flooded, they wouldn't just pack up their valuables and move to higher ground, they would start building a floodwall and demand that the government DO SOMETHING. Of course, as soon as the government did something, like build a 'big bag wall' the people on the wrong side of the wall would start protesting too!

So, to avoid having to make difficult decisions, they probably just let everyone guess whether or not they would be flooded or not.

Yeah, you may be right. The moment you admit there is an impending problem, is the moment people start expecting you to do something about it.

Better to take the "no news is good news" approach, and then when disaster does strike, feign surprise and promise it will never happen again.

Even if the data available was used to predict water depth in reality the details wound,nt be published ...but your post is somewhere near the truth i fear.

Mods, may I suggest a startup of the tread "Were Is it flooding" please.

The government is not going to inform people this year anymore than they did last year. If you do get information from an official an hour later another official will probably contradict 90% of what the last official's information. I do believe Skywalker has a great Idea (minus his spelling) . Getting info from posters updating on "Where is it flooding" flooding could prove very useful to some of the members/readers here.

Some very low areas in Nong Jok are and have been flooded since the heavy rain that started Thursday Sep.27th. Most of the flash floods in higher areas cleared after about 16 hours. No heavy rain in this area since Sep. 27th until tonight. Some canals in Nong Jok have been over flowing since the heavy rain on Thursday/Friday Sep 27th./28th.Most Canal levels have dropped about 15cm. Over the past six days.

Mods, may I suggest a startup of the tread "Were Is it flooding" please.

The government is not going to inform people this year anymore than they did last year. If you do get information from an official an hour later another official will probably contradict 90% of what the last official's information. I do believe Skywalker has a great Idea (minus his spelling) . Getting info from posters updating on "Where is it flooding" flooding could prove very useful to some of the members/readers here.

Some very low areas in Nong Jok are and have been flooded since the heavy rain that started Thursday Sep.27th. Most of the flash floods in higher areas cleared after about 16 hours. No heavy rain in this area since Sep. 27th until tonight. Some canals in Nong Jok have been over flowing since the heavy rain on Thursday/Friday Sep 27th./28th.Most Canal levels have dropped about 15cm. Over the past six days.

We had it during the flooding last year. About my spelling. I can write in my native language if you don´t understand.