Thai In Laws Culture Difference Or Insulting - You Decide!

coolhandjoe

Just returned from a visit to the wifes parents house and i'm fuming.

We gave them some framed pictures of their grandchildren and some family pics of us and our children together. So they could hang them up next to their other family pics.This was a few months ago when we stayed for the weekend, they ended up in the bottom of the wardrobe covered with various household items. I offered to hang them next to the pics of the 3 eldest sons on the wall in the main room as they are a similar size picture and frame, which they agreed to.

We visited them this last weekend and guess what my kids pics are back in the bottom of a cupboard, my missus was shocked but kept quite. I feel hurt and insulted but kept quite.

Is this a culture thing? Because the pics were placed next to the pics of the 3 eldest sons, i don't know!

They are good quality portraits but the in-laws dont wish to have them on their walls which incidently i paid for along with the rest of the house. They call our children,their grand-children farang and not by their names.

Are they taking the mick or have i blown this out of proportion? Letting off steam!!!!

just my view, the comment about the 3 sons being considered above all sounds reasonable.

my father in law, has a strict way he does his photos, his grandparents in the middle, then his parents one side of them, MILs parents the other, then children and partners and the one grandchild.

neat and ordered.

i would be upset about the photos ending up in the wardrobe.

my FIL, refers to mixed race children as farang, but has not referred to me as farang (not in my prescence), since his daughter and i became engaged.

We gave them some framed pictures of their grandchildren and some family pics of us and our children together. So they could hang them up next to their other family pics.This was a few months ago when we stayed for the weekend, they ended up in the bottom of the wardrobe covered with various household items. I offered to hang them next to the pics of the 3 eldest sons on the wall in the main room as they are a similar size picture and frame, which they agreed to.

We visited them this last weekend and guess what my kids pics are back in the bottom of a cupboard, my missus was shocked but kept quite. I feel hurt and insulted but kept quite.

Is this a culture thing? Because the pics were placed next to the pics of the 3 eldest sons, i don't know!

They are good quality portraits but the in-laws dont wish to have them on their walls which incidently i paid for along with the rest of the house. They call our children,their grand-children farang and not by their names.

Are they taking the mick or have i blown this out of proportion? Letting off steam!!!!

sounds like he hates your flag guts

They seem to hate you and shockingly have transfered that hatred on to your children as well. You have given them pictures of JUST the grandkids right? I can see if they hated just you not wanting the family picture up, but to do that with the grandkids pic is unbelievable. I've never heard of grandparents that didn't want their grandkids pictures up, even if they hate the father. Don't give them anything ever again. Turn your wife against them as well, shouldn't be hard since they seem to hate her children.

• Haha 1

if you let people treat you like shit, they will do it

Just one question: are these people still get money from you or your wife?

Stop having contact . Totally. If you are not able to control your contacts, you have no control over your live!

And have to accept every shit, these people are doing...

Do not let your children meet these people. They will hurt your children and trying to interfere within your relationship.

It is your responsibility to protect your children!

• Like 1

It is rather odd about the pictures and I would be offended also.

But Could it be they are slightly embarrassed their daughter has married a falang and don't want the long and endless nosey questions from every wich persons who come in the house?

Doesn't me the hate your kids though. Falang noi and falang doesn't mean to be insulting if said playfully. Some people get way too sensitive about the f word. Do they play and joke around with them, help take care and all that kind of thing? If yes then I wouldn't worry too much. The photo thing could just be the result of their own hang ups and not to be a direct insult to you or deep and meaningful one about your relationship. But if they are odd balls, cold and not nice in all other aspects then yeah maybe they really are a couple of nasty old stone hearts.

Look at the bigger picture though, not just the one hanging (or not) on the wall is what I'm getting at.

• Like 1

it seems that they are happy that their daughter landed a buffalo who can buy them the house however it is still shameful for them that she has done so, so they would rather hide it and not have to acknowledge it. my guess is that they are hoping that your wife will one day leave you and they can rid themselves of the shame. sad.png

Edited by farang000999
  • Like 1

There are dysfunctioal families in all societies, my wife comes from one! If I tried to write down all of the crap that has happened over the last 14 years I'd have to start a new website. It's not just a farang thing with me. My wife's sister lives 200 meters from us and they haven't spoken to each other in 6 years and it has nothing to do with me. If you are happy you'll just have to "look the other way" and go on with your life. Remember to smile, Ido (sometimes).

• Like 2

For wot it's worth my missis just said that's total disrespect ......quote.... Better he not waste his time save it for his family and wife....very bad darling ....so your call.....

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

The in-laws sound like utter pond life sadly.

Sometime ago my wife had to choose between me and her family - she chose wisely.

We've been married for over 15 years and the family now have another Buffalo to help - my services are no longer required......haha

Falang smile.png

Maybe he is, but thats not the reason.

Why do so many falang think Thais all hate us?

If that was the case I know I wouldnt go to Thailand, want to live there, marry a Thai and have a kid together.

To the OP, these pics of your kids, are the kids luk kreung or full falang from a previous lady?

The obvious answers that come to mind

1..they dont like you.

2..they are to lazy to hang pictures.(which I hope its this and suspect it is)

3..theyre jealous they havnt got what you have.

If your inlaws are anything like mine, then lazy would be high on the list. ie, to lazy to buy picture hangers and hang pictures.

The pictures would be the last thing they ever got from me. Some days I am happy my girl is an orphan.

Huh?...Im confused by your statement sorry. Ahh do you mean your step daughter?

Please explain?

Edited by krisb

The pictures would be the last thing they ever got from me. Some days I am happy my girl is an orphan.

Huh?...Im confused by your statement sorry. Ahh do you mean your step daughter?

Please explain?

His wife/gf is an orphan ;)

I too feel it is disrespectful of them to put the pictures in the wardrobe. If they did not want the pictures on the same wall they could have put the pictures on view somewhere else.

You must have a good idea of how they react to and around you and the grandchildren. Do they treat your children the same way as they treat their full Thai grandchildren? If they treat you and your children differently then there is the sign.

At least your wife is showing her unhappiness with her parents actions and that has to bode well for the two of you.