Purchasing New Motorbike

Potter

What does one need to know and bring when purchasing a new motorbike. I got a thai driving license already.

1) I still need the confirmation document from the immigration office?

I am not interested in one the big bikes. I heard more accidents and also not always easy to repair. I have before gotten stuck in the mountains and being pleased with how kind thai people are helping you out.

What I have in mind is a honda 125cc. The reason is everybody advices honda, so I guess I better stick with that. I got a bad knee, so I need an electric starter, which should add about 2,000 baht to the price.

2) What else should I need to know? Are there any other considerations I should do? Are there many different models and what is important? What should my thoughts about insurrance be?

Thank You

Potter

What does one need to know and bring when purchasing a new motorbike. I got a thai driving license already.

1) I still need the confirmation document from the immigration office?

I am not interested in one the big bikes. I heard more accidents and also not always easy to repair. I have before gotten stuck in the mountains and being pleased with how kind thai people are helping you out.

What I have in mind is a honda 125cc. The reason is everybody advices honda, so I guess I better stick with that. I got a bad knee, so I need an electric starter, which should add about 2,000 baht to the price.

2) What else should I need to know? Are there any other considerations I should do? Are there many different models and what is important? What should my thoughts about insurrance be?

Thank You

Potter

I have now purchased three motorcycles in Thailand, but all from the same dealership here in Kalasin... First one was a Honda Phantom (Mini-Chopper 250cc) 93,000 baht, next same bike different color for a friend from the States to ride while visiting, and now a Honda Wave 125, electric start, auto clutch which cost 43,000 baht including 1 years #1 insurance... The dealership wanted copies of my passport / visa and Thai Lic....

Took about three months before getting a call to come pick up plates, but had paperwork to show police should I need it until the plates arrived... Not a hard thing to do at all considering how some things in Thailand go...

Pianoman

I have some friends in Honda. They told me they are coming out with a new model. Said to be same generation as the Yamaha (MIO and NUOVO)....they are electirc star and no gears. They are like scooters! They said the looks will be really nice..and it should be 125cc. I forgot if its coming out this or next month. You could ask any Honda dealer!

Last time a bought a Honda Sonic, I paid extra 500baht to get a #1 license plate...that was cheap!

I have some friends in Honda. They told me they are coming out with a new model. Said to be same generation as the Yamaha (MIO and NUOVO)....they are electirc star and no gears. They are like scooters! They said the looks will be really nice..and it should be 125cc. I forgot if its coming out this or next month. You could ask any Honda dealer!

Last time a bought a Honda Sonic, I paid extra 500baht to get a #1 license plate...that was cheap!

I heard about the new Honda scooter last August, a dealer told me it was coming in October :o

As it's Honda it should be good though, I hope it's Nuovo size, the Mio is ok but a bit small for a six footer like me.

Thanks for all the answer.

Getting this new model I am sceptical about. That is because new models often brings more problems than a model, which for a long time has shown to be good. I also like myself to be in control of the gears.

Hi Emilio

Do you mean to say that you can chose the number on the license plate for an extra 500 baht?

Does every dealer have a selection?

TBWG

I jusy bought a new "Honda Wave 125i" three weeks ago for about 47000 bahts (insurance, plates, and INDEX helmet included) near Chianmai. Front disk brakes and good power. I too will prefer to stick with Honda Wave as spare parts are very easy to find, and I know the quality of Honda bikes having had 5 or 6 (125 to 900) in my homecountry.

The new automatic one is "Honda Click", the dealer brought me a photocopy of the prospect. It looks a little bit more massive and small on the picture, but it's a picture...

Yes the new model is called Click. Dealers are now taking orders for delivery middle of the month. Top model will cost about 49,000bht. can be seen at www.mocyc.com

Thanks for all the answer.

Getting this new model I am sceptical about. That is because new models often brings more problems than a model, which for a long time has shown to be good. I also like myself to be in control of the gears.

I bought a new wave 125 about 18 months ago. I love it. If I where to do it again I might consider the fuel injected model. Apparently they run a little smoother and get phenomenal fuel efficiency. But I heard they run about 69,000 baht. Not really worth the price difference for me anyway.

You really can't go wrong with a standard wave 125.

How many gears does an automatic model have? The auto clutch rental units, even the 125's, have only four backward gears. I never can get used to shifting my foot UP to shift the gears DOWN, and about the time I do, I go back to my six-speed bike with clutch, and start upshifting downward. Not a good idea when you're already at ten grand.

I've now conceded that the auto clutch doesn't spend all day engaging and disengaging; it's reasonably fast. But how slowly do the automatic transmissions shift? Or is it a belt drive, like the Dutch DAF?

And this new fuel injection on the Wave 125i. How many Honda mechanics know how to set the idle, adjust the choke, or do anything they always did to carburetors?

In the madhouse of BKK traffic a fully auto bike surely has to be the way to go! Anything with clutch and gears, or even auto clutch makes life a lot harder, twist and go man!
Don't know about Bangkok, but in Chiang Mai, my six speed was a joy to manuever through rush hour traffic, selecting the right gear and twisting the throttle. On the rental 125 with auto clutch, no gear seemed right, the power was about 11 horses, the handlebars didn't seem connected to the front wheel, etc. Shifting is almost second nature, and nobody got through traffic faster than me.

How many gears does an automatic model have? The auto clutch rental units, even the 125's, have only four backward gears. I never can get used to shifting my foot UP to shift the gears DOWN, and about the time I do, I go back to my six-speed bike with clutch, and start upshifting downward. Not a good idea when you're already at ten grand.

I've now conceded that the auto clutch doesn't spend all day engaging and disengaging; it's reasonably fast. But how slowly do the automatic transmissions shift? Or is it a belt drive, like the Dutch DAF?

And this new fuel injection on the Wave 125i. How many Honda mechanics know how to set the idle, adjust the choke, or do anything they always did to carburetors?

In the madhouse of BKK traffic a fully auto bike surely has to be the way to go! Anything with clutch and gears, or even auto clutch makes life a lot harder, twist and go man!

Don't know about Bangkok, but in Chiang Mai, my six speed was a joy to manuever through rush hour traffic, selecting the right gear and twisting the throttle. On the rental 125 with auto clutch, no gear seemed right, the power was about 11 horses, the handlebars didn't seem connected to the front wheel, etc. Shifting is almost second nature, and nobody got through traffic faster than me.

A fully automatic bike has a variable gear, like the old DAF, it's literally twist and go. In heavy traffic it's a real pain, stop and go, stop and go, and constantly changing gear. You don't do that with a Mio, Nuovo etc.

I bought a new wave 125 about 18 months ago. I love it. If I where to do it again I might consider the fuel injected model. Apparently they run a little smoother and get phenomenal fuel efficiency. But I heard they run about 69,000 baht. Not really worth the price difference for me anyway.

You really can't go wrong with a standard wave 125.

About the fuel injection model, do you mean this one ? Honda Wave i (photo taken few days ago).

I bought it three weeks ago for around 47000 bahts. 69000 bahts seems very expensive. :o

I confirm that it is very economic on fuel, good accelerations, good brakes...very nice bike. :D