Souness Sacked

bluebear

Well, its official. Hes gone.

The rumour mill is already going with Paul Le Guen & Martin O'Neill among the favourites.

As well as that Souness is going to arrive at Ibrox in some capacity because of his friendship with David Murray ( The Rangers chairman ). My reaction to this rumour and from all the Rangers fans is

home.jpg

"Newcastle caretaker manager Glenn Roeder will be assisted by club captain Alan Shearer following the departure of Graeme Souness.

The Magpies have won only one point in six Barclays Premiership matches and are only six points above the relegation zone.

A statement on the club's website, nufc.co.uk, said: "Newcastle United today announced that the employment of Graeme Souness has been terminated with immediate effect.

"An announcement will be made shortly regarding transitional arrangements pending the appointment of a new team manager."

Former West Ham boss Roeder, who had worked within Souness' back-room staff, will be caretaker boss starting with the weekend visit of Portsmouth.

And Newcastle hero Shearer will assist him.

A club statement read: "Newcastle United today announced Glenn Hoddle will take charge of first team affairs for the immediate future.

"Roeder will be assisted by captain Alan Shearer and will be caretaker manager for Saturday's home Premiership game against Portsmouth."

The 3-0 defeat by Manchester City last night edged Souness even closer to the precipice as many Magpies fans called for his head.

After the defeat at Eastlands Souness admitted he was feeling the pressure due to the "passionate" support Newcastle receive.

"It's common knowledge in football that the supporters up here love their football club and it means so much to them. They are madly, madly passionate for their football club," said the Scot.

"That makes it so attractive, but when you are not winning games, that can mean there's a big downside to it as well, and you have to accept that.

"But it's a special place to be involved in the football at Newcastle. I think there are only two or three other clubs in the country where that passion exists."

Souness troubled by injuries and poor signings

Souness has been beset by injuries this season and having £17million summer signing Michael Owen sidelined has been a major blow in recent weeks as the goals he scored after his arrival had given the Magpies a boost.

Other high-profile signings were made during Souness' time on Tyneside but failed to have the desired effect.

Albert Luque was signed from Deportivo La Coruna for £9.5million, defender Jean-Alain Boumsong cost £8million last season and several other summer signings such as Scott Parker and Emre were recruited.

But results did not come and Souness lost the support of fans quickly this season as high-profile bust-ups dominated his reign.

Craig Bellamy went to Blackburn last season after a public row with the former Liverpool boss.

And winger Laurent Robert was also shown the door because he did not see eye-to-eye with Souness.

Last season Lee Bowyer and Kieron Dyer were involved in a confrontation on the pitch which also brought scandal to St James' Park.

But ultimately results were Souness' downfall with the Magpies languishing in 15th place, facing the prospect of a relegation scrap rather than securing the European place their expenditure demanded.

Souness' record during his 16 months in charge.

All competitions P 83 W 36 D 18 L 29 F 107 A 99

Premiership P 56 W 16 D 17 L 23 F 58 A 76 Pts 65

FA Cup P 7 W 6 D 0 L 1 F 11 A 5

Carling Cup P 4 W 2 D 0 L 2 F 3 A 4

Europe P 16 W 12 D 1 L 3 F 35 A 14

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/arti...ge_id=1779&ct=5

I can't understand why Newcastle waited until the day after the transfer window closed before sacking S ouness. He should have been sacked a long time ago.

Souness spent a lot of money and made some poor signings in Faye, Boumsong, Babayaro, Luque and players like Emre, Parker and Owen who are no doubt good players but injury prone.

Excuses of injuries and not having his strongest squad wasn't good enough.

When I've watched Newcastle this season,there seemed to be a complete lack of tactics. The football hasn't been pretty either compared to the days of Keegan and Robson. You can't blame that on injuries.

Every supporter in the country whose team loses their manager now, will be worried about Souness getting linked with their job. :o:D

I felt it was a question of WHEN.......not IF

They should have put Shearer in sole control though, I reckon he will do a good job.

Cometh the hour, cometh the man!!!

Glen (blesshim) had a heart attack managing West Ham, what will happen to his health if he takes Newcastle down??

If their form continues like it is currently thats a possibility

I felt it was a question of WHEN.......not IF

They should have put Shearer in sole control though, I reckon he will do a good job.

Cometh the hour, cometh the man!!!

Glen (blesshim) had a heart attack managing West Ham, what will happen to his health if he takes Newcastle down??

If their form continues like it is currently thats a possibility

I'm not a Newcastle supporter but I'm glad he's gone, he's a loud mouth yob.

Anyway, the job is a big one, big club, big expectations etc. I admire Shearer for his playing skills but would it be wise to stick a newbie manager into such a big, and tough, job?

A club statement read: "Newcastle United today announced Glenn Hoddle will take charge of first team affairs for the immediate future.

Sorry bluebear. But your source misstyped there if it was copied and pasted. :D:D:D

Sure was copied and pasted Jockstar, The copy I got said the job was going to Mick McCarthy (part time) so he could take both of these North East Giants down together :o

It was certainly a matter of when, not if, as previously mentioned. Someone also said they watched Newcastle a few times this season and

there seemed to be a complete lack of tactics
Well, earlier in Souness' reign he actually claimed he "doesn't do tactics", I mean what hope is there when you're manager is ignorant enough to admit something like that.

I was against his appointment in the first place, I mean he was about to get the sack from Blackburn !! (They must have been over the moon, instead of having to compensate Graeme we done it for them, and give them a bit too). When I heard he had got the sack I honestly couldn't take the smile off my face for the rest of the day.

I've only heard that Paul Le Guen was linked with the job through the OP, he would be my favourite along with Guss, I doubt they would want it though.

Please no Martin O'neill or Steve Bruce !!

Edited by Davey