Ombudsman Threatens To Take Thaksin Passport Issue To Court

webfact

POLITICS

Ombudsman threatens to take Thaksin passport issue to court

CHANIKARN POOMHIRUN

THE NATION

30192093-01_big.JPG

BANGKOK: -- The Office of the Ombudsman has yet to receive a formal explanation from the Foreign Ministry for why it refused to comply with the ombudsman's instruction to recall fugitive former PM Thaksin Shinawatra's passport.

Chalermsak Chantaratim, secretary general of the Ombudsman's Office, said that if the ombudsman finds the ministry's reasons unacceptable, Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra would be asked to intervene.

Should Yingluck decide to side with the Foreign Ministry, then the government's defiant behaviour will be taken to Parliament, Chalermsak said.

Should both the government and the legislature decide to let Thaksin continue holding a Thai passport, the ombudsman will then seek a judicial review from the Administrative Court, he said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-10-11

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ombudsman seems quite determined here, does he have a political agenda? What's the point in going to the Prime Minister and Parliament on an issue regarding their del facto leader. But yes, it would be an interesting slap in the face if Yingluck passes the buck to her ruling parliament to green light, only to be taken down by the courts.

so lets start the sweepstake for when the Ombudsman is moved to an inactive post or when the Government create a new Ministerial position as 'Minister for Ombudding Ombudsmen'. Baldrick ....I have a cunning plan!

Your precocious remarks fly close to the rational since the Thai Ombudsman and his officers speak beyond their brief . That is if a Thai Ombudsman is really an Ombudsman in a sense that the international community might understand. Edited by indyuk

so lets start the sweepstake for when the Ombudsman is moved to an inactive post or when the Government create a new Ministerial position as 'Minister for Ombudding Ombudsmen'. Baldrick ....I have a cunning plan!

Sounds like the Ombudsman will be "promoted" soon :-D

or worse....

Kornthep Wiriya, a key prosecution witness in the Shin Satellite tax-evasion case, was gunned down in Chiang Rai.

http://www.thaivisa....ed/#entry913935

Edited by Buchholz
  • Like 2

I just would like to know how many laws you have to break to issue a passport to a criminal on the run

people know my opinions about the case, but he was found guilty, so how can he get a passport?

He can't.

That's the exact point the Ombudsman Office is making.

The Cousin Foreign Minister violated the Foreign Ministry's own rules.

I just would like to know UY how many laws you have to break to issue a passport to a criminal on the run

people know my opinions about the case, but he was found guilty, so how can he get a passport?

He can't.

I know, it's just how barefaced a level if illegality they believe they can carry out. Did no one anywhere in the entire organization not have the balls to point out the essential illegality of the whole thing.

They have basically criminalized the entire passport system.

• Like 2

Sounds like the Ombudsman will be "promoted" soon :-D

or worse....

Kornthep Wiriya, a key prosecution witness in the Shin Satellite tax-evasion case, was gunned down in Chiang Rai.

http://www.thaivisa....ed/#entry913935

Faaaark. I didn't know that one. Maybe we should all chip in for a kevlar vest and helmet for the good Ombudsman.

• Like 1

I just would like to know UY how many laws you have to break to issue a passport to a criminal on the run

He can't.

I know, it's just how barefaced a level if illegality they believe they can carry out. Did no one anywhere in the entire organization not have the balls to point out the essential illegality of the whole thing.

They have basically criminalized the entire passport system.

Doing so while the Foreign Ministry building was supposedly closed amidst widespread flooding just adds that much more flavor to that barefaced level.

Going against the grain is not encouraged nor tolerated.

• Like 1

It seems to be very difficult for publicity horny self proclaimed academics with a dismal status to accept the ruling of parliaments. it shows that the elite is not suitable for a democratic system in Thailand. On the bright side, soon the jail where they have locked up political prisoners will be unoccupied and judges and ombudsmen can be locked up there.

Chalermsak Chantaratim, secretary general of the Ombudsman's Office, said that if the ombudsman finds the ministry's reasons unacceptable, Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra would be asked to intervene.

Should Yingluck decide to side with the Foreign Ministry, then the government's defiant behaviour will be taken to Parliament, Chalermsak said.

Should both the government and the legislature decide to let Thaksin continue holding a Thai passport, the ombudsman will then seek a judicial review from the Administrative Court, he said.

So when his cousin doesn't revoke his passport, they'll ask his sister to revoke it, and when she doesn't revoke it, they'll ask his political party to revoke it.

Save the three year processing time of the above and go directly to the court review.

But that's the whole point of this all - make it look good but make it take a LOT of time, and in the long run nothing will happen.

Typical political games - "We"re looking into it" - mirror job. ermm.gif

It seems to be very difficult for publicity horny self proclaimed academics with a dismal status to accept the ruling of parliaments. it shows that the elite is not suitable for a democratic system in Thailand. On the bright side, soon the jail where they have locked up political prisoners will be unoccupied and judges and ombudsmen can be locked up there.

How very Khmer Rouge of you, Indeed that would be a tragic Kingdom.

I just would like to know how many laws you have to break to issue a passport to a criminal on the run

When will you guys wake up? Taksin is not a criminal by any rational Juristic persons standards other than the system of justice corrupted by the Democrat conspiracy at that time. Everything since Taksin's conviction is orchestrated by Democrat conspirators who continue to hope that Taksin is further damaged or even destroyed. Anyone in Thailand that is copus mentos will know that is irrational. In fact what the Democrats seek woulhat d probably Damage Thailand even more seriously than the damage that they already caused.

It is still lining up the process for public view

and showing the public who would be delaying it

and by how much time should they chose to.

It is showing the complete legal process at a glance.

Better to view it through the path of due process of law,

than pretend it should just be business as usual.

He was convicted the courts reasoning was made and published publicly. He was legally convicted in public view not kangaroo court. But the main issue for him is being forced to go to the OTHER half dozen pending court cases. These carry more then the slap on the writs he has now, and could me incarceration till his dying day.

Still this move is about those who gave him the passport, and against what rules they did so.

Edited by animatic
  • Like 1