Firefox 16 Fixes Critical Flaws - And Comes Up With A New One.

Chicog

Oh dear.

• Oct 10, 2012 11:01 AM

Shortly after Firefox regained its No. 2 position in the browser arena, Mozilla on Tuesday unleashed the next version of its popular open source browser complete with fixes for numerous critical vulnerabilities. Holes associated with a full 14 security advisories were closed in the new Firefox 16, in fact, 11 of them rated “critical.”

IDG News Service - Mozilla has temporarily removed Firefox 16 from the current installer page after it found a security vulnerability in the new version of its browser, it said on Wednesday.

The vulnerability could allow a malicious site to potentially determine which websites users have visited and have access to the URL (uniform resource locator) or URL parameters, Michael Coates, director of security assurance at Mozilla said in a blog post.

Mozilla does not however have any information that the vulnerability is currently being "exploited in the wild," he added. It is working on a fix and plans to ship updates on Thursday.

I agree it's a bad thing, and maybe it's inherent to their tight Release Schedule (what is it 6 weeks ?) that bugs like these pass their QC. But at least it doesn't take them weeks to come up with a solution unlike Oracle with their Java.

It's Thursday, still up to date with 15.0.1.

Still Thursday for a while on West coast, eh?

I am already on 16 but I think 16.0.1 (or what ever it will be called) can be (if Mozilla keeps their word) expected early morning Friday in Thailand. Has to do with updating mirrors and load balancing.

Must not have been very big.

I just clicked check for updates while on 15.0.1

It went into a quick update about 30 seconds restarted & now on 16.0.1

(Here in Thailand )

Was reading this post and clicked to check my version and next thing I new it was installing 16.0.1 (was on 15) so lets hope it's OK.

Was reading this post and clicked to check my version and next thing I new it was installing 16.0.1 (was on 15) so lets hope it's OK.

smile.png that was the same scenario for me

Seems ok after using it for an hour or so anyway

Normally I select the 'check for updates but let me choose whether to install' option but just checked and somehwere down the line I seem to have reverted to the automatically installsad.png

Normally I select the 'check for updates but let me choose whether to install' option but just checked and somewhere down the line I seem to have reverted to the automatically installsad.png

Yes mine is setup the same way & still is as I just checked under tools/options/advanced/updates

But like you when I checked for updates today I was not asked.

But seems ok

I deleted my Firefox only 2 days ago, had enough with browser crashing and not working properly.

The last update was when things started going wrong, well more wrong actually, always had trouble with it.

Had been trying many browsers and found slimboat but maxthon 3 is ok also. Unfortuantely have to keep IE as programs request it otherwise it would be gone also.

I deleted my Firefox only 2 days ago, had enough with browser crashing and not working properly.

The last update was when things started going wrong, well more wrong actually, always had trouble with it.

Had been trying many browsers and found slimboat but maxthon 3 is ok also. Unfortuantely have to keep IE as programs request it otherwise it would be gone also.

You should check your whole computer because my Firefox is very stable and I seldom have problems. Firefox (Mozilla, Netscape) have been going since the launch of the internet and with that is a massive amount of development and experience that not many of these new browsers can boast of.

You should check your whole computer because my Firefox is very stable and I seldom have problems. Firefox (Mozilla, Netscape) have been going since the launch of the internet and with that is a massive amount of development and experience that not many of these new browsers can boast of.

McAfee has been around a long time as well, and it's now one of the worst, most bloated antivirus clients going.

16.0.1 is on offer but I am holding off pending more info.

Me too.

Well the info is that the version you are using has many critical security flaws. 16.0 fixed them but introduced one more, which they've fixed in 16.0.1.

So would you rather have the version with security flaws that are now probably fully documented and exploitable, or the one that fixes them, plus the other one.

For me it's a no brainer. I updated everything to 16.0.1 as soon as it became available.

If firefox is crashing and stalling try starting it with addons disabled, most likely its an add on

How do we remove Add-ons?

Just click Tools then Add-ons to disable any you may have a problem with.

Although I have never had a problem with any of mine.

You can also in that same window click

Check to see if your plugins are up to date

If firefox is crashing and stalling try starting it with addons disabled, most likely its an add on

How do we remove Add-ons?

Just click Tools then Add-ons to disable any you may have a problem with.

Although I have never had a problem with any of mine.

You can also in that same window click

Check to see if your plugins are up to date

Actually, click the firefox button, click help, click start with addons disabled.

If it no longer crashes then re-start and disable addons one by one until you figure out which one does it.

And yes, some addons do cause Firefox to slow down, I tried the Facebook translate one and it was terrible.

• Like 1

McAfee has been around a long time as well, and it's now one of the worst, most bloated antivirus clients going.

McAfee isn't open source and therefore written by money motivated individuals who don't really care too much about their product so long as it pulls a few mugs bucks in.

This thread sounds like an airasia topic, some people love 'em some hate 'em

As for the addon's took out long time ago.

But.. I did find I had a missing dll (ifmon.dll) don't know if this was reason for firefox problem.

Happy with slimboat anyway and found another BrowzarBlack2 easy, simple and don't store info.

FYI (WinXP)

For those who think they have computer issues:

Click Start, Run, type SFC /SCANNOW, click OK. If any files are damaged

or missing, they'll be replaced. You may need to reboot afterwards so

damaged files will be replaced. It may ask you to insert windows cd to add missing files.

Edited by LindsayBKK