International Driving License

TheAceFace

Is there anywhere in Pattaya where I can obtain one, or pay somebodies service to get it for me? I am working in Saudi and they will not accept a UK one or a Thai license, I do remember a company in Phuket where you could send them a copy of your UK license and 2000THB and voila....international one arrives, but it seems they no longer operate.

Any idea or advise would be welcome, need to drive over here.

Simple solution is to obtain by post from the AA in UK.

I have used this process for the past few years (for driving in Cairo + Thailand). You can send a copy of your UK licence. Payment instructions + process for the despatch of the IDP are clearly stated. I think I paid less than £10 last time I renewed.

Just do a Google for 'International Driving Permit AA' and the 'by post' option will be flagged up.

I have used this process for the past few years (for driving in Cairo + Thailand). You can send a copy of your UK licence. Payment instructions + process for the despatch of the IDP are clearly stated. I think I paid less than £10 last time I renewed.

Just do a Google for 'International Driving Permit AA' and the 'by post' option will be flagged up.

Are you saying you received a Thai drivers license through this process or merely an international driver license? I think you got the latter one but maybe you have a secret access past the hoops.

Are you saying you received a Thai drivers license through this process or merely an international driver license? I think you got the latter one but maybe you have a secret access past the hoops.

The AA issue an IDP, valid for 1 year, with reference to your UK driving licence.

how long is an idp vaLID FOR. THE REASON I ASK IS COS MY UK LICENSE EXPIRED WHEN I TURNED 70YRS OLD LAST YEAR.

My understanding is that the International Driving Permit will only be valid for 3 months but only if your original UK licence is valid. After this period you would need a Thai driving licence but if you don't want to take a test your UK driving licence would need to be valid and unexpired. Edited by Rajab Al Zarahni
  • Like 1

Just for info, your UK full driving licence is actually an international driving licence, so long as it show's the EU flag. In most countries outside of the EU, you will need to get an International Driving Permit (IDP). This can be obtained from either of the UK driving associations, AA or RAC, usually cost not much more than £10 with the postage. It is only valid for a 12 month period but, with it, you should be able to obtain a full driving licence in the relevant country you are in. If your current UK driving licence is void or expired then so is you IDP.

your idp (international driving permit) must accompany your driving license from your own country . you must present both to police or insurance services should you have a accident .

this applies to thailand or any other country outside of eu . in eu your uk license is valid and requires no idp.

You can get a 1 year IDP from the Department of Land Transport in Chonburi.

Heading from Pattaya on Sukhumvit - it's about 6 or 7 km (I think) AFTER Chonburi on the right hand side of the road (keep driving until you see a walkover the motorway with a large green sign and an arrow pointing right - do a u-turn and your about 200m from the entrance on the left.

Drive in and try to find parking - the most difficult part of the whole process.

The building is on the left had side almost in line with the sign that indicates 'Drive Thru'.

There's a woman at a desk who will take your documents and instruct you to go to a numbered window where you put them in a tray and wait to be called.

I got there about 11:15 and was told to come back at 1:30 but the woman did say that if I was about half an hour earlier I could have got it within half an hour.

You'll need:

- Thai driving licence

- Copy of front and back of driving licence

- 550 baht

- Copy of passport main page - can't remember if I had to show the passport as well

- Two passport photo's

Here's a google maps screenshot of the location

Sorry again. Coming in dribs and drabs. I only did this 3 weeks ago but with my memory it's like 3 years.

You also need an affidavit from immigration proving your address in Thailand - this costs 200 baht at Pattaya immigration - for that you need your passport and a recent utility bill with your name on it and 2 passport photo's.

I recently obtained a Thai driving licence on the basis of holding an IDP. I have to commend the Thai authorities for their remarkable standard of efficiency. This even included my being able to obtain the required medical report from a local doctor without the irritating fuss of an appointment or the bother of an interview and without any evidence of my health status !biggrin.pngbiggrin.png

Mogy, thanks for that, thats a bit closer to me. I will check them out when I am back.

LeCharivari, do you mean the actual driving center, the one where we get our Thai licenses from? Hope this is true as that is an easier option. How much is it there for the IDP and what documents would I need, the same as what Mogy said as per ChonBuri requirements?

Thanks again guy's.

You can get a 1 year IDP from the Department of Land Transport in Chonburi. ....

or from the DLT in Pattaya, near the International School of the Regents.

No you can’t, unless something has just recently changed.

how long is an idp vaLID FOR. THE REASON I ASK IS COS MY UK LICENSE EXPIRED WHEN I TURNED 70YRS OLD LAST YEAR.

If if you had an IDP,that would have expired as well, as a valid DL needs to accompany your IDP. ie a your UK one

but with a valid DL, an IDP is good for 12 months

You can get a 1 year IDP from the Department of Land Transport in Chonburi.

Heading from Pattaya on Sukhumvit - it's about 6 or 7 km (I think) AFTER Chonburi on the right hand side of the road (keep driving until you see a walkover the motorway with a large green sign and an arrow pointing right - do a u-turn and your about 200m from the entrance on the left.

Drive in and try to find parking - the most difficult part of the whole process.

The building is on the left had side almost in line with the sign that indicates 'Drive Thru'.

There's a woman at a desk who will take your documents and instruct you to go to a numbered window where you put them in a tray and wait to be called.

I got there about 11:15 and was told to come back at 1:30 but the woman did say that if I was about half an hour earlier I could have got it within half an hour.

You'll need:

- Thai driving licence

- Copy of front and back of driving licence

- 550 baht

- Copy of passport main page - can't remember if I had to show the passport as well

- Two passport photo's

Here's a google maps screenshot of the location

You forgot to add...a 5 year Thai DL

yes, I forgot to say '5 year' driving licence as opposed to a 1 year.

I think you can get it with the 1 year thai dl but must also have a medical cert to accompany it.

And it's 505 baht.....that was a typo, not memory loss.

• 8 months later...