Life's A Beach - Even In Chiang Mai

eyecatcher

"do something different" they say...."make your place stand out"

I am all in favour of going the extra mile in pursuit of new customers by presenting your premises in the best light...but I have just seen a coffee/breakfast cafe "under development" that has ideas bordering on innappropriate, tacky and tasteless.

That was my initial and immediate reaction to what appears to be a Carribbean Island theme.

There are 4 palm trees, with crocodiles at their base, the whole backdrop, furniture, appliances, plant pots are painted sky blue, there is a red life jacket on the wall and wide brimmed sunhats.

but the piece de resistance I watched them create a beach, a big bag of sand was spread out along what was the footpath.

The coffee "flag" is advertised by no other than George Clooney and the punctured hosepipe along the canopy does more dripping than misting.

Didnt see any crabs or a deckchair with Popeye drinking tequilas but maybe those are coming.

Moonmuang Soi 9....seeing is believing.

Having watched it develop for an hour, its growing on me; its quirky, its fun and very brave of the farang to try this theme. GOOD LUCK to them,

Has anyone else seen what they consider inappropriate, the height of tack or just an over ambitious venture/makeover in the wrong place?

• Like 1

Has anyone else seen what they consider inappropriate, the height of tack or just an over ambitious venture/makeover in the wrong place?

The Amora Thapae hotel? wink.png

I had to think of the old Pattaya pumpkin house, I believe it was in soi 10 or 11 in the middle of an overgrown yard. It's no more of course. It's another hotel now.

5754569-Pumpkin_House-0.jpg

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I like it when people do off the wall things. However for it to work they have to provide excellent coffee and above average breakfast. Also one of the keys to new business success is advertising. Unfortunately most new small business spend all the budget on just getting the place open and hope the customers will come. But unless they advertise nobody knows its there.

Another reason to do it is that address locations are such a mess. A lot of people don't bother using street names even, and then house numbers are all over the place.

And then with signage there is actually a sign-tax, with more being charged for bigger sings, especially when they're in a language other than Thai.

So there is extra benefit here in being able to say "The bar with the really big shark sticking out of the roof.", or some other visual description that avoids street addresses or putting a really big sign up.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Where is this tropical coffee paradise, I want to drink there!

take your shades off TP, I said it was Moonmuang soi 9 (at the bottom)...maybe visitors should take an appropriate prop for display purposes....bucket and spade/ fishing nets/snorkel

I also like this one, on the lane towards "care for dogs" completely out of character with the whole world let alone C.M

post-150623-0-30223600-1350233519_thumb.

Where is this tropical coffee paradise, I want to drink there!

A guy who lived near me in Oxford did this to his house, planning dept. went crazy.

post-152992-0-94378000-1350216024_thumb.

Hard to beat IMHO.

Still there 20 years later

http://www.oxfordmai...xford_landmark/

I know this house ,it was not far from where I used to live. The guy that put it up was a presenter on BBC Radio Oxford if I remember correctly, and certainly an eccentric!!

re.

Moonmuang Soi 9....seeing is believing.

are you sure its soi 9 ??

i had a quick look around this morning and i couldnt find it

maybe it hadnt opend yet coz i was early ?

maybe ill go back later for another look

dave2

ps .. cant post without a pic so heres a cat from a bar in loi kroh road

post-42592-0-33996900-1350282022_thumb.j

• Like 1

I had to think of the old Pattaya pumpkin house, I believe it was in soi 10 or 11 in the middle of an overgrown yard. It's no more of course. It's another hotel now.

5754569-Pumpkin_House-0.jpg

It's on Soi 10, I lived next door to it for 3 years. It was a bit of a landmark back in those days and not hard to give directions to your house when all you had to do was tell someone you lived next to the Pumpkin house:) Sort of miss those days...thanks for the remind thumbsup.gif

Edited by hedonist44

take your shades off TP, I said it was Moonmuang soi 9 (at the bottom)...maybe visitors should take an appropriate prop for display purposes....bucket and spade/ fishing nets/snorkel

I'm a little confused too.

On all my maps, Moon Muang Soi 9 is the northernmost soi to the left, when travelling north on Moon Muang, just before you get to the NE corner of the moat (where Rider's Corner is located).

"Moonmuang soi 9 (at the bottom)" as you term it...what's the "bottom"?

Are you sure you don't mean the other (south) end of Moon Muang?

dave2 is not a slouch when it comes to finding locales to photo, and he couldn't locate it.

Possibly it is way down south on Moon Muang, around Soi 1, south of Mad Dog, etc.?

its almost the junction of Moonmuang/soi 9...next door to green eco and next door to the motorbike rental. It seemed shut this aft, maybe monday is their day off... surfing or something.

If it rains tonight you will see the flotsum/jetsum washed up on the beach.

re

"Moonmuang soi 9 (at the bottom)" as you term it...what's the "bottom"?

this pic was taken about 100 yards in with my back to the moat and soi 9

goes straight on around the corner for about another 750 yards from the thai 1 on bar

and ill have another look tomorrow : ) ... dave2

post-42592-0-55627500-1350314045_thumb.j

post-42592-0-06535400-1350314304_thumb.j

• Like 1

re.

its almost the junction of Moonmuang/soi 9...next door to green eco and next door to the motorbike rental.

going by the above and the sky blue paint on the front and the pots this is the place

closed again ; (

dave2

ps ,, perhaps he spent so much on paint , crockodiles , palm trees etc

that he ran out of money to open : (

post-42592-0-66018100-1350368401_thumb.j

Trouble in paradise then?

I thought they were going all out to win customers, but keeping the shutters down for 2 days is a new one on me.

however, if those shutters never come up again, I did take a covert snap as I was writing the thread, not great but it gives you a feel of what you are probably missing right now.............not?

post-150623-0-72641000-1350376902_thumb.

It's on Soi 10, I lived next door to it for 3 years. It was a bit of a landmark back in those days and not hard to give directions to your house when all you had to do was tell someone you lived next to the Pumpkin house:) Sort of miss those days...thanks for the remind thumbsup.gif

Those were the days... I found the picture.

post-64232-0-43482200-1350380530_thumb.j

• Like 1

Jezzz, it sure does bring those days back. That's the rear of the pumpkin house and i lived right next door to the right in this pic. Thanks for posting!

Could use a beer by the water around here sometimes. Nice to have a change from all the hole in the wall bars around here that are nothing more then whore dives.

You state it's all, good, but then go on to say it's tacky or tasteless. Perhaps you need to do something with your own venue?

Is this where the Troll lives?

the beach is open and had two little lovelies working there today but no

sign of a farang

buckets and spades would be ok but no farangs in swiming cozzies please ; (

just joshin .. dave2

did anything wash up on the beach over the last week?

re.

did anything wash up on the beach over the last week?

only the two little lovelies as far as i could see and they could do with a few

customers coz as you see from my pics

their shop / bar / beach is as empty as most of the bars in chiang mai

dave2