Question Regarding Work Permit Requirements

Munutkangkao

Question regarding Work Permit Requirements - I want to open a media company, at the start I will not require employees as I will be guaging the success of our Thai Limited company during th first year. So 2 Work Permits, one for my business partner and myself, Thai law states I must have a total of 8 Thai employees. As a new business how can I have 8 full-time Thai employees? Our goal is to hire staff as the business grows but a new business takes one to two years to turn a profit. I want to hire but I can't see being able to do so for the start.

Are there solutions to hiring the mandatory number of Thai-employees to accomodate two work permits for our company?

When our new Thai Limited company is set up, and we have paid into the social fund on 8 Thai employees for one month only then we can then receive two work permits. Could I lay them off immediately following the approval of my work permits until it is time to renew? During the first year I should be able to hire more employees eventually approaching the required total of 8.

I am told that the minimum monthly wage a Thai employee is to be paid is 9,000 BTH. How do we show or can we be expected to pay 9,000 Baht / per person a month for 8 Thai employees to sustain our work permits when we don't need them during the beginning months of operation? Here's a payroll breakdown:

Social Fund

750 Baht X 8 Thai employees = 6,000 Baht / month

$25 CDN X 8 Thai employees = $200 CDN / month

Salary

9,000 Baht X 8 Thai employees = 72,000 Baht / month

$300 CDN X 8 Thai employees = $2,400 CDN / month

Does it matter how many hours an employee works as long as we have 8 employees ( part time / temp )? Do they all have to be getting at least 9,000 Baht a month or can we arrange it so we only have to pay into the social fund on them?

Can we hire Part time employees do they really have to be full-time. Can we consider part-time employees being our monthly accounting serivces ( provided by our thai firm ), driver, maid, partners wife, etc? I may be required to hire a writer or photographer that won't be needed everyday but I will use their services when assignments call for it. The same could be said for extra web-designers, or graphic designers. They would be my preferred staff but more of a temporary status in the beginning. Is this acceptable? Here's an example; If I only need a Thai maid 3 times a month at 300 Baht a cleaning is this ok? What solutions do you advise?

Hi

In Bangkok at least they are very strict and will be meeting these employees. They want to make sure you are not doing what you are trying to do.... possibly lay them off after you get the work permit. They will not be happy at the social fund office as its expected that you pay into the social fund on these employees.

The questions asked to each and every employee will be questions like this

What does your Boss look like?

What is your Boss name?

When is the last time you saw your Boss?

When do you get paid?

How do you go to work? What is the route you take?

What kind of work do you do?

The employees can be part time but they must get a salary of 9,000 minimum per month.

In rare cases, exceptions will be made in the first year depending on the business objective for example, if its exporting. We have petitioned and obtained two work permits with four Thai employees( actual case last week) but we can offer no guarantees.

Please feel free to contact us directly (info below)

Greg

[sunbelt][/sunbelt]