Motorcycle Tour Isaan Mekhong River

WindyGale

Sawadee Khrup Ladies, Gents.

The good lady and I like a little motorcycle touring and have planned a trip for mid Nov from Sangkhom through Nong Khai along route 212, following the Mekhong river along to Bueng Kan then down through Nakhon Phanom to Savannakhet then onto route 2034 to Khemmarat taking then the 2050 to end up for a couple of nights in Ubon Ratchathani.

We travel fairly light and take advantage of hotel laundry to keep us fresh. Our weapon of choice is a KLX 250 which is perfect for the changes in road surfaces from tarmac to lunar landscape on occasion! As you’ll see from the attached pic, the bike is set up for some longer distance touring, some Kriega bags will be added prior to the trip and the good lady is on the petite size so we both fit on fairly comfortably.

We’ve been from our base in Namsom to Phu Rea, Kon Kaen, Hua Hin, Ayuthaya, Korat amongst various other destinations previously. Out last trip from Jontiem (good lady sent the bike on a pickup truck for me to meet when I flew into BKK) through Bangkok (fun?) to Hua Hin, then back up to Udon Thani then home. A lot of miles in 10 days and too much use of dual carriageways to really take in the land, people and culture we are both endeared to. So this time nothing is booked in the way of lodgings, time limit will be 7-10 days so we can go as quickly or slowly as we please.

If anyone has either travelled this route, or lives along the way, please let me know what we should look out for enroute as we embark on another mini adventure through Isaan.

We can take the same route back, but wish to stay a night in Sakon Nakhon, so the 212 out of Ubon Ratchathani back to Savannakhet then the 223 looks like the choice of route for this leg.

Any useful info would be welcomed, roads, routes, places of interest and good hotels. If there are any of you along the way, maybe we’ll meet up to say Hi.

post-122477-0-55709700-1350275759_thumb.

It is a nice trip along the river. I would recommend to stay in Pak Khat (approx. 80 km east of Nong Khai). It is a nice town not many tourists, nice atmosphere, market, thai restaurants, old temple southeast of the main road etc.There is a nice hotel just on the river banks, good rooms with riverview. The hotel is called KhongKhamKoon. A room is 500-900 Baht.Phone 0897128598.

Just outside Nong Khai (10-15 km. east) there is an interesting sculpture park see link: http://www.oldworldwandering.com/2012/03/25/nong-khais-exceptional-sculpture-park/

If you would like further info, just ask

Enjoy the trip

Lars

Good morning Lars.

We've been to Salakaewkoo many times and always see something we've missed before. It's an amazing site, magical even. This is a 'must see' for anyone in the area, highly recommended.

I'll ask the good lady to contact the KhongKhamKoon Hotel, it's distance along our route should be just right for a stop over.

Hi Fogetit.

I'll look more closely at the place names along the route, thanks. And this info will save me time trying to enter Laos towns into my GPS as Laos isn't covered in the mapping software. Muhdahan looks good for the 2nd night's stop over, lunch in Nakhon Phanom on the way. We'll get to see over to Savannakhet from the tower at least!

• 1 month later...

Ladies, Gents.

Just some feedback for you on our trip. Firstly I had 4 hospital visits I wasn't expecting during my time back in Isaan. Therefore the trip was reduced to allow for this.

We did go from Nong Khai along route 212 and overnighted in Nakhon Phanom, visited the temple in the morning at That Phanom (blessed by a monk for health and well being). Then headed back to Udon Thani through Sakhon Nakhon.

I must report the most boring roads I've ever travelled on in Thailand thus far unfortunately! Mainly straight roads, Mekhong river very infrequently in sight. The most exciting part was looking for fuel as I always seem to run out when nowhere near a fuel station or bottles of juice on one of the many street vendors. Never mind, I can say I've travelled this route and cross it off of my list.

We went to the bike show in Khon Kaen. If you ride a Harley, like dressing up as a cowboy then it's the venue for you. It was a little disappointing as it didn't start until after dark with a big live concert and drinks (of no use when you've ridden there). There was a big attendance, one hopes more bike vendors take advantage in future of these events and give us all an opportunity to spend some hard earned cash on bits & pieces, even new bikes. KTM, Triumph and Ducati has a couple of bikes there to be fair.

For amusement, I'd splashed out on a good set of earphones prior to my arrival. Westone 2's. absolutely fantastic for biking. Not cheap and ordered from the US, but worth every penny. On day 2, the good lady tapped my shoulder to speak to me, I disconnected the jack lead to learn she was hungry (Thai lady of course she was). The jack at the end of the lead slipped down and had a fight with the bike's chain, lost and gave me a nice tug through my ears to let me know the outcome. Mai pen rai, we eat and have now ordered another set (which will be better looked after).

I'm looking forward to New Year when I'll be back again. Short tours locally on the bike this time I think. Weather should be cooler so longer days in the saddle.

Ride safely!

Yes, thats the problem with the Mekong - rarely does the main road (or any through road) follow the river bank in Issaan, so you are reduced to doing frequent detours off the main road to catch sight of it.

Hi Windy,

Remeber when we went to that waterfall place near the Mekong in the truck? That road from Songkram to Thai Bot is quite twisty and a good surface, with some nice viewing places of the river along the way,

I was gonna suggest getting a Versy, shortens the straights a bit, but if you keep your Traillie, you should be able to ford the Mekong into Laos, Jan/Feb, it will be pretty dried up by then.

Yes, still some warm days, but dress up warm if out after 4pm, the wind chill will soon give you more chest problems,

Cheers, Lickey,

Hi Lickey.

Yes I remember and I ride that route often, heading out of Namsom over the 2 mountains to route 211 near Pak Chom, turn right and it's a great ride through to Sangkhom with the river in view for most of the way. Good twisties through to Tha Bo also as you say.

The family told me the road is dangerous, but as I have the right tools, safety gear and a bit of experience in the saddle, I couldn't fathom their concerns. What they meant is this is a regular route used by the yaba trafickers from Laos, Police don't like paperwork and will either run you off the road or shoot? It'll be just like Baghdad was back in the day.

I've also turned left at Pak Chom and went to Phu Rea, via Tha Li which are even more challenging roads. This is where newly tarmaced roads turn into gravel and huge potholes, not for the faint-hearted and why I choose and enjoy my KLX. I'll be doing this route again in Jan with the good lady, but a little more forewarned this time!

I also enjoy the other mountain out of the village, head west, turning left after a few clicks (the road Ricky went down unti he ran out of road and can't tackle the rough roads on his CBR).

Maybe we are spoiled with what's available on our doorstep? Happy days!