Bank account

Ericazth

I understand it might be hard to open a bank account in Thailand with only a tourist Visa (US citizen).  However, I do not want to keep an account open in the US for tax reasons.

Is there any other bank that will allow for easy deposits, and NOT report to the USA?  

Do Thai banks report to the USA?  

I will be depositing US Cash, not money transfers.  I would rather not travel too far if I didn't have too.  I could then withdraw money as needed thru many of the ATMs throughout Thailand.

Thank you.

• Like 1

It is kinda funny, most of the big name Foreign banks and Foreign/Thai banks are the ones most stickling for details and hardest to open accounts with, e.g., Citibank, HSBC, Standard CHartered/Nakathorn, Bank of Asia, etc.).

Generally, most people seem to agree that Bangkok Bank is the easiest to use.  This is good because it is the largest and most reputable and "international" of the domestic Thai banks.  Foreigners on tourist visas can open savings accounts but not checking accounts there.  This also comes with either a domestic ATM card or international ATM card (the daily withdrawl limits differ and of course, one can be used at Cirrus ATMS outside Thailand while the other cannot).  

You need to have at least a non-immigrant visa to open a checking account and some banks also require a work permit...TIT.

Anyway, you can easily get through you life in Thailand with only a savings account.  I do not know the extent (if any) of the reporting of deposit informtion to US financial and regulatory authorities.