Toyota Ups Engine Capacity In Thailand

webfact

AUTOMOBILE

Toyota ups engine capacity in Thailand

The Nation

30192568-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Toyota Motor Corp on Thursday announced the 40 billion-yen investment (approximately Bt16 billion) to expand its diesel engine manufacturing capacity in Thailand.

The expansion by Siam Toyota Manufacturing Co Ltd is scheduled for completion on 2015, which would help the company cope better with rising demand for vehicles under the "Innovative International Multi-Purpose Vehicle Project: IMV" in emerging markets.

In a statement released today, the Japanese biggest automaker said that the investment would increase the diesel engine capacity by 290,000 units per year. This will raise its total annual capacity to 610,000 units.

The investment would require Siam Toyota Manufacturing, based in Chon Buri, to hire 450 more workers.

In February, Toyota invested Bt6 billion to increase the production capacity of gasoline engine by 100,000 units per year. This project is scheduled for completion in 2014.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-10-18

i'm dissapointed, i thought by the heading Toyota were going to put v8 in yaris's!!!

Never mindsmile.png

If Toyota are going to out a V8 in any of their current offerings, at least let it be the GT86 - it's the only one of their Subaru's cars that could potentially use the HP effectively ;)

Sorry, Kyoto agreemenmt in all areas of Thailand state, you signed the agreement, we will hold you responsible, that is of course, unless it

benefits us......

\Respectfully . your trading partner, Kyoto of Japan........ Thailand needs some balls... Sorry""""""""giggle.gifgiggle.gifgiggle.gifgiggle.gifgiggle.gifgiggle.gifgiggle.gifgiggle.gifgiggle.gifgiggle.gifgiggle.gif

Kerry

How about a 3.2 or a 3.8 litre V6 in a Camry? Arguably as economical as the 2.2litre V4's they currently use and yet far more power and control!

The Camry was sold in TH with a 3.5L V6 up until Q3 last year - but at 2.9M baht it only had around 40 takers in it's last year of production. Toyota dont' make 3.2 or 3.8L engines - those capacities sound more like GM ;)

How about a V8 in the Vigo? Traction control and manual gearbox.

The Hilux was sold in Australia back in 2008-9 with a 4.0L supercharged V6 making 305HP - however, while the base car was exported from Thailand, the engines were fitted by TRD in Aust, so no chance of finding one here :(

Yeah, the title disappointed me too.. ^ But I think the Gt86 would be scary overpowered with a V8 but one of these? No problem..

The GT86 with it's 200HP feels a bit dull, and is very hard to push to 10/10ths - I can't imagine doubling it's HP would upset the chassis too much. It might want beefier brakes and some stiffer front springs though ;)

Yeah, the title disappointed me too.. ^ But I think the Gt86 would be scary overpowered with a V8 but one of these? No problem..

The GT86 with it's 200HP feels a bit dull, and is very hard to push to 10/10ths - I can't imagine doubling it's HP would upset the chassis too much. It might want beefier brakes and some stiffer front springs though wink.png

Toyota must have thought the same at least for their race car, http://jonsibal.com/blog/2012/05/thailand-toyota-86-race-car/

Two of these are competing in the Supercar Thailand series.

How about a 3.2 or a 3.8 litre V6 in a Camry? Arguably as economical as the 2.2litre V4's they currently use and yet far more power and control!

The Camry was sold in TH with a 3.5L V6 up until Q3 last year - but at 2.9M baht it only had around 40 takers in it's last year of production. Toyota dont' make 3.2 or 3.8L engines - those capacities sound more like GM wink.png

How about a V8 in the Vigo? Traction control and manual gearbox.

The Hilux was sold in Australia back in 2008-9 with a 4.0L supercharged V6 making 305HP - however, while the base car was exported from Thailand, the engines were fitted by TRD in Aust, so no chance of finding one here sad.png

Now you've got me all nostalgic for a GMC Syclonesad.png

The Hilux was sold in Australia back in 2008-9 with a 4.0L supercharged V6 making 305HP - however, while the base car was exported from Thailand, the engines were fitted by TRD in Aust, so no chance of finding one here sad.png

Now you've got me all nostalgic for a GMC Syclonesad.png

The GT86 with it's 200HP feels a bit dull, and is very hard to push to 10/10ths - I can't imagine doubling it's HP would upset the chassis too much. It might want beefier brakes and some stiffer front springs though wink.png

Toyota must have thought the same at least for their race car, http://jonsibal.com/...ta-86-race-car/

Yep that's a street spec GT86 alright rolleyes.gif also driven by the average daily road driver too I imagine? whistling.gif

This car will race in Supercar Thaialnd series.

TOYOTA GT-86 SCT Spec :

2UR 5000 cc engine, 8-cylinder DOHC 32-valve.

Hp 620 hp at 7,000 rpm.

Torque of 69 kg / m at 5500 rpm.

Transmission gear sequential 7-speed.

Suspension Front – Double Wish Bone.

Rear – Double Wish Bone.

Front brakes – 15-inch disc brakes.

Rear – disc brakes, 14 inch.

The front brake calipers – Brembo 8 Pots.

Rear – Brembo 4 Pots.

Alumi wheel 10J x 18-inch wheels and four wheels.

Front tire – Yokohama size 280-650/18.

The Yokohama size 280-710/18.

Body dimensions (width / length / height), mm 1800/4530/1200.

The second part of my sentence is what too few here aren't considering in their red haze when suggesting it should come with a V8 and Toyota of course understands that.. What would be needed to be put into it to make it handle an extra 200Hp (or more as that number is potentially anemic for a V8) would then price it well out of range of the mass market that Toyota has targeted...

For a manufacturer to consider such an upgrade it has to be taken into account the potential of the chassis versus mods as it's a given it WILL be moded and as the above spec shows the mods can increase it's Hp and most especially the torque substantially and to dangerous levels for the average Joe street driver and that's mainly due to wheel base which is not something easily modified, if at all..Jeezzz IMHO I'd expect that from Jitar but I thought you were less myopic and more industry connected then that tongue.png ..

JFYI I agree the current engine sounds a bit underpowered but there's a lot of room between a thundering V8 and what's currently in the car with just a few mods and without adding masses of extra weight by all the required mods to make it handle a V8. One could mod up the current package and make it every bit as much fun if not more then an overpowered V8 as it would brake & handle 10 times better..

Edited by WarpSpeed

Toyota must have thought the same at least for their race car, http://jonsibal.com/...ta-86-race-car/

Yep that's a street spec GT86 alright rolleyes.gif also driven by the average daily road driver too I imagine? whistling.gif

This car will race in Supercar Thaialnd series.

TOYOTA GT-86 SCT Spec :

2UR 5000 cc engine, 8-cylinder DOHC 32-valve.

Hp 620 hp at 7,000 rpm.

Torque of 69 kg / m at 5500 rpm.

Transmission gear sequential 7-speed.

Suspension Front – Double Wish Bone.

Rear – Double Wish Bone.

Front brakes – 15-inch disc brakes.

Rear – disc brakes, 14 inch.

The front brake calipers – Brembo 8 Pots.

Rear – Brembo 4 Pots.

Alumi wheel 10J x 18-inch wheels and four wheels.

Front tire – Yokohama size 280-650/18.

The Yokohama size 280-710/18.

Body dimensions (width / length / height), mm 1800/4530/1200.

The second part of my sentence is what too few here aren't considering in their red haze when suggesting it should come with a V8 and Toyota of course understands that.. What would be needed to be put into it to make it handle an extra 200Hp (or more as that number is potentially anemic for a V8) would then price it well out of range of the mass market that Toyota has targeted...

For a manufacturer to consider such an upgrade it has to be taken into account the potential of the chassis versus mods as it's a given it WILL be moded and as the above spec shows the mods can increase it's Hp and most especially the torque substantially and to dangerous levels for the average Joe street driver and that's mainly due to wheel base which is not something easily modified, if at all..Jeezzz IMHO I'd expect that from Jitar but I thought you were less myopic and more industry connected then that tongue.png ..

JFYI I agree the current engine sounds a bit underpowered but there's a lot of room between a thundering V8 and what's currently in the car with just a few mods and without adding masses of extra weight by all the required mods to make it handle a V8. One could mod up the current package and make it every bit as much fun if not more then an overpowered V8 as it would brake & handle 10 times better..

In any case, it's all dreaming - the GT86 is a Subaru, and even Subaru's Flagship BRZ Sti won't be seeing as much as forced induction, let alone more cylinders :(

In any case, it's all dreaming - the GT86 is a Subaru, and even Subaru's Flagship BRZ Sti won't be seeing as much as forced induction, let alone more cylinders sad.png

Sadly, this is probably right for Thailand. A more powerful, more expensive Toyota or Subaru sports car would be tough to sell here anyway.

However there is a recent US article suggesting development of a turbo version of the BRZ. Wonder if there is any truth to it.

http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20121022/OEM03/310229844/subaru-develops-brz-turbo

In any case, it's all dreaming - the GT86 is a Subaru, and even Subaru's Flagship BRZ Sti won't be seeing as much as forced induction, let alone more cylinders sad.png

Sadly, this is probably right for Thailand. A more powerful, more expensive Toyota or Subaru sports car would be tough to sell here anyway.

However there is a recent US article suggesting development of a turbo version of the BRZ. Wonder if there is any truth to it.

http://www.autonews....elops-brz-turbo

According to my sources, the BRZ STi will feature a retuned boxer engine making 245HP, but remaining naturally aspirated.

http://www.autonews....elops-brz-turbo

According to my sources, the BRZ STi will feature a retuned boxer engine making 245HP, but remaining naturally aspirated.

Yes that's what I'm talking about exactly..Turbo charge THAT engine and you'd have no lack of fun driving this car the way it is and that's far more feasible and appealing to the mass market, in fact it would have as much Hp with far less added weight then many small V8's.. But alas probably only available in aftermarket configuration and not factory anytime soon sad.png .. Still with a little additional investment plenty of fun to be had thumbsup.gif ..