Thai Tourist Police Soon To Speak Fluent English

webfact

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Land of Campaigns, Facades and Hubs has no competition...Short of an English speaking occupying force arriving, we all see this for what it is intended to be, pure theatrics. If I get in front of the media and say something really over the top, they will report it, possibly to cause people to take their eye off the ball that is reality. Happy Halloween(early).

• Like 1

Not to worry. Tomorrow the Ministry of Culture will veto this initiative claiming that if Thais speak English with any fluency whatsoever other countries may mistakenly think Thailand was once colonized. That would result in serious degradation of national pride and Thainess. So the TP are off the hook and Thailand remains for the Thais. Mission accomplished.

• Like 2

Seems a little like a pipe dream. One would have thought that when they were planning and establishing the corp of tourist police a "prerequisite" of employment would be that they were fluent in a foreign language. The whole concept of the tourist police semms a little pointless if they can't communicate with tourists.

It is a little like thier high speed train project, they have organised the box lunches but then oh <deleted> we forgot to build the lines and order the trains,

I believe a high level of English fluency is a prerequisite in Malaysia to join the police force, and at least basic English should be spoken by Tourist Police in most countries. Lets face it - English is the international language. Whether that's good or bad is a different discussion, but as the world stands today, the language most people learn after their own is English.

I actually feel a bit sorry for the TP - I've been trying to get the hang of Thai for a couple of years, and it's not easy to learn something so complicated as a very different language. Young children have such absorbent minds they can be taught numerous languages, other people are good at picking up new languages and speak several. Most of us, if we are to be honest, would struggle with any new language, especially one so difficult as English, with all of it's subtleties. I've given up speaking proper English sometimes and use Pigeon English. I used to be appalled when I saw people doing that, but "OK sit little?" is understood a lot better than "May I take a seat for a moment to rest". I know, I should learn Thai, but it really is hard for someone who doesn't find such things come naturally to them. And I'm no fool - my IQ is in the higher range, but learning new languages is a real stumbling block for me.

Just to correct a minor point - a high level of fluency in English may be a pre-requisite to join the Malaysian Police Force but not many Malaysian Policemen are fluent in English.

Mea culpa. I couldn't think of another word for it - when I say a high level of fluency I mean a bit more than basic Pigeon English. Proficiency would have probably have been a better word to use. I know in the northern parts of Malaysia communication with police could be problematic for someone who is not a native English speaker, but in the main towns and cities I haven't come across any who I have to speak Pigeon English to.

It's a good idea. I wish I could improve my Thai some more. I find using an App makes learning a language easier, including Thai. Maybe the Thai Police could all use smartphone apps to quickly learn common phrases, rather than starting from the bottom-up and learning vowels, spelling etc. on a chalkboard. Start from the Top and Go Down using Apps.

• English isn't the only problem. How do you identify a tourist cop...walk up to the first cop you see, stand within a meter of him, put on your glasses and try to read an emblem patch on his sleeve? Oh, that will work, sure. They have been advised (take it as fact) that uniformed tourist police must be immediately identifiable from long distance by virtue of a unique helmet or hat color or even uniform color that differentiates a tourist cop from a beat cop and the unique appearance must be widely published in advertising and PR campaigns abroad. This has been implemented with great success in other countries. One may suspect that being a tourist cop here is the least sought job since it is hard to shake down tourists since they come from societies where offering a cop bribe money would land them in the slammer..

OMG - that's the reason I've never seen a Tourist Policeman in all the time I've spent in Thailand! I thought they must just hide away to avoid us or that I've just been unlucky in not seeing one here in CM. I was looking for a different coloured uniform, which would give a statement of I can speak to you and help you if you don't speak Thai as they do in so many other countries. How stupid of me.wacko.png

Now dont forget, children, stop talking English at the back there! This was yesterdays topic, now who can remember what yesterday's topic was?

Thought as much, back in the hat with it then, it will come up another day when we need to dicuss English.

Now today, Let discuss Asean, anybody speak Asean here?

No but I bet more of them speak English than Thais do!!

• Like 2

Okay, understand the jibes at the unrealistic time frame to learn fluent English, which by the way, many English cannot speak or write!! But turning this on it's head, how many Farangs can speak fluent Thai, having in many cases been here a dam_n site longer than 2 years and have opted to migrate to this lovely land? Pot calling Kettle Black maark, maark, me thinks.whistling.gif

Edited by robertson468

Okay, understand the jibes at the unrealistic time frame to learn fluent English, which by the way, many English cannot speak or write!! But turning this on it's head, how many Farangs can speak fluent Thai, having in many cases been here a dam_n site longer than 2 years and have opted to migrate to this lovely land? Pot calling Kettle Black maark, maark, me thinks.whistling.gif

This is becoming a very common argument for the Thais. Why can't you speak Thai? I believe the goal is for Thailand to transition to English for the ASEAN agreement, but instead we need to learn Thai to save them the trouble.

• Like 1

HAHAHAHAHA. They won't even be able to speak basic English in 6 months.

Manchester United, Chelseee, Liverpull, Arsenal, been speeking English long time.

So they know thier english geography, I presume these are english towns but I may be wrong.

Yes - you're wrong.

Ah this is very amusing. Fluent English in 6 months? Not even if the Tourist Bib went to English lessons everyday all day for 6 months.

I like this next part the best;

Pol Gen Vudh Liptapanlop[/color]' timestamp='1350547674' post='5763481']

He said the tourist police have played a significant role in relation to stability, economy, social and cultural affairs in the Southeast Asian region.

Yes the Tourist Bib have been so successful at preventing tourists from being mugged, raped, murdered, extorted in the Southeast Asian region! They don't even try to attempt these grandiose claims in Phuket or Pattaya let alone the region outside of Thailand. What a goofball.

• English isn't the only problem. How do you identify a tourist cop...walk up to the first cop you see, stand within a meter of him, put on your glasses and try to read an emblem patch on his sleeve? Oh, that will work, sure. They have been advised (take it as fact) that uniformed tourist police must be immediately identifiable from long distance by virtue of a unique helmet or hat color or even uniform color that differentiates a tourist cop from a beat cop and the unique appearance must be widely published in advertising and PR campaigns abroad. This has been implemented with great success in other countries. One may suspect that being a tourist cop here is the least sought job since it is hard to shake down tourists since they come from societies where offering a cop bribe money would land them in the slammer..

The very few that I've seen around have cars with a tourist police badge on the side and seem to wear a beret rather than peaked cap, crash helmet etc. Having said that. I've heard stories of them shaking people down on work permit and visa issues; and coming into conflict with the local BiBs whose area it is. Never seen any out on foot patrol in the touristy areas where they might be of some use.

Why, Thai is a horrible language. It has no beauty in its sound, all these goofy tones, not even the sense to put spaces between words. Listen to French, Chinese, Japanese; even if you don't understand what they are saying it still sounds beautiful. Listen to Thai's speak and your ears start to hurt.

But the reason why so many are having a laugh is because a Thai official made this claim. When ThaiVisa makes a claim "All ThaiVisa members to speak fluent Thai in 6 months!" you can post a funny criticism.

HAHAHAHAHA. They won't even be able to speak basic English in 6 months.

Manchester United, Chelseee, Liverpull, Arsenal, been speeking English long time.

So they know thier english geography, I presume these are english towns but I may be wrong.

They are all football teams. One, called Manchester United, is based is Manchester, which is a city. One, called Liverpool, is based in Liverpool, which is also a city. Two, called Chelsea and Arsenal, are based in London, which is a capital city.

I hope that clarifies it for you.

Yes thanks. Soccer is not big in Australia so I guess that is why I had never heard of them.

I know many TP that have been in the job for years and speak next to no English. The newly appointed Boss speaks no English. w00t.gif

Relax. Chalerm promised to fix everything in three months so six months must be plenty of time for these peope to master a different language.

I know many TP that have been in the job for years and speak next to no English. The newly appointed Boss speaks no English. w00t.gif

The only word the police force is gonna learn is "Give money, fa-ra-ng!!!!" cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

Obviously you have not had experience with the Tourist Police. In fourteen years they have always been friendly and helpful towards me. Never asked for any money. How about you? biggrin.png
  • Like 2

So given the negative cynical and smarty pants responses so far, lets look at the potential positives. It will be a good move to have police who have a minimum grasp of English. It is possible to create English communication skills in six months with willing participants and competent trainers. Thai people have capacities for growth beyond most of the commentary here. Few of you yet appear to grasp the significance of the attempt. If you tend to rely on smug superior criticism instead of embracing a forward thinking ideal you are diminishing the chances of its success. Try and be a bit more optimistic.

I understand what you are saying but how long have the tourist police been in existance, 15 yrs or so? (maybe longer) Weren't they established to help promote tourism and to assist International tourists if they found themselves in a predicament or were the victims of crime? How long have tourists been coming to Thailand? Why has it taken Thailand so long to realise that probably 99.9% of the tourists who come for thier one week annual holiday actually speak a different language to Thais? Would it not make more sense for them to actually recruit people who already (from the beginning) speak english, russian etc instead of waiting years to realise that they can't communicate and perform thier basic role.

It's the 7 PPPPPPP's (Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance)

you are actually proposing something that would have called for some planning by the authorities in Thailand. And, as most of us know, there is no such thing in Thailand so of course it could have been done. I am not even sure that there is such a verb in the Thai language.

Where the heck do you guys live anyway? I will admit that while living for short intervals in Phuket and Bangkok I never interfaced with the Tourist Police. But with years of time in Chiangmai I have never met a Tourist Police officer who did not speak at least enough English to successfully communicate in an English dialogue with him. Furthermore I know a couple of them here that speak with very high fluency. I don't know about Chiangmai cops but regarding speculation of the Tourist Police looking for cash from farangs- Never heard on an incident and never experienced it. Over the years they have bought me a few beers. They also have offered me a ride home on their bikes when they encountered me walking back from the bars late at night- for freew00t.gif Possibly six months to fluency is too ambitious but it is an admirable goal.

• Like 2