Places To Take The Wife For Annivesary

JusticeFT96

What would you prefer if you had a choice out of the pattaya resturants?

We usually eat at Cafe Des Amis but I was looking at Mata Hari. If you could eat at these 2 places which would you prefer?

I wanted to give Mantra a go but I really hate wearing Jeans in this weather when I am hot I am grumpy :(

Any other suggestions?

Cheers

Mantra, best place in town for food / service / ambience ( and parking! ) - very hard to beat IMO.

Did not know they had a dress code, i'm pretty sure if you went well dressed in shorts and polo shirt for example, nothing would be said.

Edited by JaiLai
  • Like 1

Hi,

Just to give you an option

I took my wife to the winery restaurant at silver lake.

A bit expensive & a bit out of the way, but it was nice made a change to Pattaya.

Chris

I have drove past that a few times and thought it would be rubbish tbh I live a few minutes away from it and never even gave it a try. I will have to now though.

Mantra, best place in town for food / service / ambience ( and parking! ) - very hard to beat IMO.

Did not know they had a dress code, i'm pretty sure if you went well dressed in shorts and polo shirt for example, nothing would be said.

We will see tonight then hahaha

If you want to consider a meal other than dinner, try the Sunday brunch at the Hilton. 12-3 PM.

Really nice food, great views, good service. 1200 THB, 1800 with free flow wine. Took my wife there for our anniversary and she loved it.

Don't forget flowers - Isan Flowers on Pattay Klang has decent prices and delivers. Google them for the website.

• Like 1

I second Crisp's suggestion, the restaurant in Silverlake. I had the best seafood risotto ever, also tasted the local wine. Nice setting with the mountain and lake, stylish enough place without too much fuss.

We will see tonight then hahaha

Pls let us know what you think.

I don't think there is many places in Pattaya that require a dress code.

I've been to both your suggested options OP and like Mata Hari better.

Attentive staff and owner and better food and decor.

Like it better than Mantra also.

Been to Manhattans a few times although recently i think it's gone downhill, what's the prices like in Mata Hari, on par with Manhattans?

Ok well heres my opinion on Mantra.

Decor no one in pattaya beats it however the food was not as good as I expected it would be.

They let me in with shorts, when the wife and lady were speaking she said its only downstairs they dont allow people with shorts in but they allow people upstairs to wear them.

Had to wait 30 mins in the bar area to get seated, thats ok, couple of cocktails, lovely nuts and olive platter given free I thought we were onto a winner.

Get upstairs I see the wine menu, Monkey Bay I think it is, sauvignon blanc from marlbrough my favourite region, I am sure I have seen this in most supermarkets for 400-500 baht, 2000 baht! LAZO chardonnay a similar price, you know I dont mind buying expensive wine but not supermarket wine thats overpriced and rubbish. I ended up paying 2500 for another wine from NZ that in my home country costs 350 baht. Its ok I understand the tax, just wish that the white wines they went out of their way a bit and had a better selection thats not from the supermarkets.

I ordered some sort of platter, I wanted the ahi tuna but it came with a mix of other things, grilled eggplant tower, foire grois, parmesean souffle and parma ham and melon. I detest foire grois but I wanted the ahi tuna so I went with this. I hardly touched the parmesean souffle wasnt nice at all. Parma ham and melon well its a combination thats always a winner however the parma ham was not the best I have had around here, La bocca and the ham from EATALY etc much better. Although I hate how foire grois is made I still gave it one bite, tasty but I felt guilty eating it. Eggplant tower pretty bland.

I was kind of annoyed pre starter at the lack of food. At Cafe Des Amis you get breads and Amuse Bouche that keeps you happy until you get your food. Looking after a young baby all day we dont get much time to eat so we were hungry by the time we got here and after already having 2 cocktails and a glass of wine my wife said she felt drunk and didnt want to drink any more, it also spoiled the rest of her meal really. In Cafe Des Amis at least you have some bread to soak up the alcohol and Amuse Bouche to keep you happy taste wise.

Main course I went for the lamb shank, their menu is just far too big it took me about 15 mins to even decide what I wanted and even then I wasnt sure. My wife got the lamb chops as she gets nearly every time in CDA. The main came almost instantly after our starter, no time to breathe just there you go theres more food.

For mine - lamb, tender however it felt small, everything was jammed onto the plate and covered in gravy unlike in CDA where you get to put your own gravy on and laid out on a plate not all jammed together. Veg was undercooked, infact raw, carrots were like rocks as was the broccoli. Mash was ok but nothing amazing, I cook better myself.

Wifes Lamb chops, tough and chewey, nice sear and seasoning but the quality just wasnt up there, again veg undercooked, mash wasnt up to much either.

When your paying 70baht for a small bottle of water you expect it to be at least something better than a 10baht bottle of minerele, 700% profits, where is that in gordon ramsays how to do business book? Its not the fact I am paying 70baht its the fact they are lazy and dont bother choosing a better brand name of water to match their high quality ingredients, same with their wine, a big let down.

Lovely place, just feel let down on the food and wine after so many good times at CDA I feel guilty I have gone there now, at almost double the price also. 7500 baht for 2 + I gave 10% tip.

At least I gave it a try but next week its back to CDA or La Bocca

Decor no one in pattaya beats it however the food was not as good as I expected it would be.

They let me in with shorts, when the wife and lady were speaking she said its only downstairs they dont allow people with shorts in but they allow people upstairs to wear them.

Had to wait 30 mins in the bar area to get seated, thats ok, couple of cocktails, lovely nuts and olive platter given free I thought we were onto a winner.

Get upstairs I see the wine menu, Monkey Bay I think it is, sauvignon blanc from marlbrough my favourite region, I am sure I have seen this in most supermarkets for 400-500 baht, 2000 baht! LAZO chardonnay a similar price, you know I dont mind buying expensive wine but not supermarket wine thats overpriced and rubbish. I ended up paying 2500 for another wine from NZ that in my home country costs 350 baht. Its ok I understand the tax, just wish that the white wines they went out of their way a bit and had a better selection thats not from the supermarkets.

I ordered some sort of platter, I wanted the ahi tuna but it came with a mix of other things, grilled eggplant tower, foire grois, parmesean souffle and parma ham and melon. I detest foire grois but I wanted the ahi tuna so I went with this. I hardly touched the parmesean souffle wasnt nice at all. Parma ham and melon well its a combination thats always a winner however the parma ham was not the best I have had around here, La bocca and the ham from EATALY etc much better. Although I hate how foire grois is made I still gave it one bite, tasty but I felt guilty eating it. Eggplant tower pretty bland.

I was kind of annoyed pre starter at the lack of food. At Cafe Des Amis you get breads and Amuse Bouche that keeps you happy until you get your food. Looking after a young baby all day we dont get much time to eat so we were hungry by the time we got here and after already having 2 cocktails and a glass of wine my wife said she felt drunk and didnt want to drink any more, it also spoiled the rest of her meal really. In Cafe Des Amis at least you have some bread to soak up the alcohol and Amuse Bouche to keep you happy taste wise.

Main course I went for the lamb shank, their menu is just far too big it took me about 15 mins to even decide what I wanted and even then I wasnt sure. My wife got the lamb chops as she gets nearly every time in CDA. The main came almost instantly after our starter, no time to breathe just there you go theres more food.

For mine - lamb, tender however it felt small, everything was jammed onto the plate and covered in gravy unlike in CDA where you get to put your own gravy on and laid out on a plate not all jammed together. Veg was undercooked, infact raw, carrots were like rocks as was the broccoli. Mash was ok but nothing amazing, I cook better myself.

Wifes Lamb chops, tough and chewey, nice sear and seasoning but the quality just wasnt up there, again veg undercooked, mash wasnt up to much either.

When your paying 70baht for a small bottle of water you expect it to be at least something better than a 10baht bottle of minerele, 700% profits, where is that in gordon ramsays how to do business book? Its not the fact I am paying 70baht its the fact they are lazy and dont bother choosing a better brand name of water to match their high quality ingredients, same with their wine, a big let down.

Lovely place, just feel let down on the food and wine after so many good times at CDA I feel guilty I have gone there now, at almost double the price also. 7500 baht for 2 + I gave 10% tip.

Thanks for the review. I was gonna give it a try but now won't bother.

PS. You really shouldn't divulge how much you paid, and especially leaving a 750 Baht tip. We will certainly lose some of the forum's more "frugal" members due to massive heart attacks!biggrin.png

• Like 1

Did the surprise three night ,honeymoon suite, 5 star resort thing a few years back....wife just wanted to eat street food with her friends in our friend's bar/restaurant......."very expensive for free fruit bowl and a few orchids on the bed".....AAAAH!

Oh well...... a bottle or two of good wine , tacky chairs and tables on a beach watching a sunset, grazing on oysters and whatnot is the way to go now......

• Like 1

My wife and I have had several delightful experiences at Cabbages and Condoms. It sits right on the beach, has a pleasant decor, good food and reasonable prices. Very nice landscaped grounds that you can take a romantic walk through, rabbits to pet - a very nice place for a special occasion.

Been to Manhattans a few times although recently i think it's gone downhill, what's the prices like in Mata Hari, on par with Manhattans?

I share your opinion about Manhattan's. I found the steaks better at Mata Hari and less expensive.

Woke up this morning with bad stomach cramps and ran to the toilet 3 times already! Ah well!

I liked cabbages and condoms, was really nice and scenic there is one very close to me here in bang saray, cant remember the name but the food isnt as good as C&C.

Will give Mata Hari a go next time, still cant get over they were serving me from a small plastic bottle of minerele.

My wife and I have had several delightful experiences at Cabbages and Condoms. It sits right on the beach, has a pleasant decor, good food and reasonable prices. Very nice landscaped grounds that you can take a romantic walk through, rabbits to pet - a very nice place for a special occasion.

Friends tell me the food here is very average.

I have been to the grounds though and it's a tremendous setting.

I will also try Mata Hari.

Condoms & Cabbages beautiful outlook during the day but food is very ordinary.

Have enjoyed Mata Hari numerous times but last time wasn't so good so we have stayed away from it of late.

Have been to the Mantra for the sunday lunch 6 or 7 times, always enjoyed it although IMO not as good as the same type of Brunch in Bangkok. Although they have a sign at the entrance regarding shorts there has never been an issue if 1 of our group was wearing them. As long as you are not scruffy they don't mind.

Alway enjoy Cafe DA have never had a bad meal there & enjoy the way they go about there business . Last time there the boss sent our table a bottle of wine which was a very nice touch & much appreciated.

Enjoy your anniversary

Have enjoyed Mata Hari numerous times but last time wasn't so good so we have stayed away from it of late.

Have been to the Mantra for the sunday lunch 6 or 7 times, always enjoyed it although IMO not as good as the same type of Brunch in Bangkok. Although they have a sign at the entrance regarding shorts there has never been an issue if 1 of our group was wearing them. As long as you are not scruffy they don't mind.

Alway enjoy Cafe DA have never had a bad meal there & enjoy the way they go about there business . Last time there the boss sent our table a bottle of wine which was a very nice touch & much appreciated.

Enjoy your anniversary

Where is Cafe Des Amis, just past soi Chaiyapruk on Jomtien beach?

Edited by JaiLai

Its on the same side as manhattans on thrappaya road I think its called. You have to go down a small soi to reach it its not on the main road.

Really struggling today, feel so ill. I am sure it was the ahi tuna, its the only thing I ate that could have made me sick or maybe it was buddah punishing me for eating inhumaine food such as foire grois. Never again.

I also like that restaurant at Silverlake. Great caesar salad. Weekends are packed though.

I love CDA, but have not been to Mata Hari or Mantra. My neighbors love Mantra. Sounds a bit too expensive for me!

Another great place is Rim Palapin, Ban Amphur. We were there a few months ago and the food was great. Obviously the views are fantastic also. Reservations are highly recommended there.

I also like that restaurant at Silverlake. Great caesar salad. Weekends are packed though.

I love CDA, but have not been to Mata Hari or Mantra. My neighbors love Mantra. Sounds a bit too expensive for me!

Another great place is Rim Palapin, Ban Amphur. We were there a few months ago and the food was great. Obviously the views are fantastic also. Reservations are highly recommended there.

Rimpa Lapin I think is the one I was going on about, view like cabbages and condoms? Some of their food is nice but they do tend to put this sickly sweet mayonase type sauce on a lot of things. I love the curry thats served inside of a coconut.

Where is La Bocca ?

The OP didn't mention Manhattan's but I have been there too.

The food experience is different in my opinion with Manhattan's being known for their steaks and Mata Hari is a different food experience.

I used to like Bruno's before trying Mata Hari which has now become the favoured special venue.

Where is La Bocca ?

Google tells me it’s here, haven’t been yet, but been tempted by other reviews on the forum.

I agree that Cabbages & Condoms has a nice setting but the food is pretty ordinary and they do have a service charge.

One thing I do like about the place though is that you can get brown rice. It's actually the only restaurant in Pattaya where I have been able to get it. Does anyone know of any other restaurants that offer this?

Enjoy your anniversary

Where is Cafe Des Amis, just past soi Chaiyapruk on Jomtien beach?

See map on their website.

http://www.cafedesamispattaya.com/

Head up Thappraya from Pattaya turn left soi 11, i thnk family mart on corner but not 100% sure.

They close on Sundays.