Mae Sai-Tachileik $10 Burma Visa Stamp Still Good To Go ?

Are they still accepting $10 Burma side vs 500 Baht for the visa run Burma stamp ?

I did a run in July but then I read a blog posting elsewhere just before my run that said they only accept Thai Baht now for the border run in Tachileik bridge, yet I handed over a crisp $10 spot no problem that run.

Edited by freedomnow

Burma still wants US$, not Thai Baht!

The visa runners want the 500 Baht, but (have to) pay in US$, anyway.

Just did a visa run a couple of weeks ago and this time I put the 10$ in my passport and handed it over. If you try to ask them like I did last time they bluff you into paying 500Baht and obviously not in a position to argue you feel obliged to pay the larger amount. So moral is don't ask just givethumbsup.gif

Your post is confusing - why would you want to pay 500Bt when paying 10$ is only like paying 300Baht - as I said if you try asking the Myanmar Immigration guys they will say Baht because it's more money for them. Just put the 10$ in your passport, don't say a word and in my case the money went in their drawer, no fuss and I was 200Bt richer than paying 500Bt.

If you're still not sure I've got a wad of crisp 10$ bills I'll readily swap for your 500Bt notesthumbsup.gif

Your post is confusing - why would you want to pay 500Bt when paying 10$ is only like paying 300Baht - as I said if you try asking the Myanmar Immigration guys they will say Baht because it's more money for them. Just put the 10$ in your passport, don't say a word and in my case the money went in their drawer, no fuss and I was 200Bt richer than paying 500Bt.

If you're still not sure I've got a wad of crisp 10$ bills I'll readily swap for your 500Bt notesthumbsup.gif

Confusing? Maybe.

Visarunners = Companies offering visa trips and asking for the fee in Thaibaht in a 'good rate'.

Never got ask from officials, to hand over Thai Baht. In the office, US$ is the only thing that is officially accepted. And I never try to make officers bend the rules.wink.png

I can remember, the one time, over 10 years ago, I checked on Mike Bike's visa service, Chalong Phuket;

Visarun 999 Baht only, cheapest in Phuket, plus visafee.

Ok, I have here the 5 US$, crisp (That time 5 US fee, at a rate ~40 Baht = 200 Baht).

Can't accept you US$, we have to pay in big bills, you have to buy the 5 US from us, good rate, 300 Baht! If not, you can't come with us.

Thank you, bye bye.whistling.gif (He probably forgot, I haven't paid the 999, that time)

I like it, to get scammed in Thailand by non Thaiscoffee1.gif

Edited by noob7

Confusing? Maybe.

Visarunners = Companies offering visa trips and asking for the fee in Thaibaht in a 'good rate'.

Never got ask from officials, to hand over Thai Baht. In the office, US$ is the only thing that is officially accepted. And I never try to make officers bend the rules.wink.png

I can remember, the one time, over 10 years ago, I checked on Mike Bike's visa service, Chalong Phuket;

Visarun 999 Baht only, cheapest in Phuket, plus visafee.

Ok, I have here the 5 US$, crisp (That time 5 US fee, at a rate ~40 Baht = 200 Baht).

Can't accept you US$, we have to pay in big bills, you have to buy the 5 US from us, good rate, 300 Baht! If not, you can't come with us.

Thank you, bye bye.whistling.gif (He probably forgot, I haven't paid the 999, that time)

I like it, to get scammed in Thailand by non Thaiscoffee1.gif

Thanks for clarifying visa runners as opposed to Visarunners, now I understand. The moral here is to kick these scam visarunner companies in to touch. I bet they take all your 500Bt notes and then pay the immigration 10$ notes behind the scenes. I now take the Green bus to Mae Sai, pay the Myanmar in USD and in total the whole trip costs me (with a meal) about 550Bt as opposed to 1000Bt plus that I used to have to pay the minibus companies. The trip is more comfortable than the minibus, it takes the same time (minibus always takes an hour to pick up and drop customers and are cramped and stuffy).

As for the Myanmar Immigration, I made the mistake because I'd seen it on Thaivisa that they were only taking 500Bt so I asked, was firmly told 500Bt and that was what I paid, then I saw a guy hand 10$ over while I was having my mug shot processed and realised that I'd been a mug. Don't listen to gossip on TV and just give 10$ without asking questions.

When I did this run six months ago I can assure you they did not want US dollars. I had to be very forceful and insist I didn't have enough Thai currency.

You will also find the same attitude at the Cambodian border near Trat.

Edited by Asiantravel

When I did this run six months ago I can assure you they did not want US dollars. I had to be very forceful and insist I didn't have enough Thai currency.

You will also find the same attitude at the Cambodian border near Trat.

Hi, I did the run 2nd October and went in the office with a crisp 10$ bill tucked in my passport, handed it to the officer without saying a word and I had no problems. As I mentioned if you ask questions they will bluff you into handing over 500Bt because they make 200Bt on it and it will go in their own pockets not the Myanmar Govt. It's a scam and of course they're gonna say give us Baht but they will take USD if you do what I said.

PS The OP is talking about the Mae Sai run are you too?

Edited by sysardman

The official rate is $10 US, but they charge 500 Baht and make a profit (border guards).If you insist they will most likely take the $10 rather than lose valuable currency. And anyway the need to change their baht.

As I said it's all a bluff and if you are daft enough to say 'what do you want 10USD or 500Bt?' - well I've said enough on the subject.