Thai Rak Thai - Carrot Lost?

wolf5370

What is TRT doing? They keep pronouncing that they want more tourists, but systematically take away the lure of the country.

Why do they think tourists come?

Nightlife is disappearing as clubs and bars are forced to shut up shop early – many are struggling and winding their way to closure. This does not simply mean quieter nights, it means less clubs and more unemployment. Now, getting rid of street food vendors in BKK. Apart from the fact that office workers and members of the Thai public use them constantly, they lend themselves to the pull of Thailand. World famous for its food and excellent street vendors, the smell of the food cooking and the cheap meals are great for tourists – often I’ve watched tourists watch these vendors chopping fruit, frying up Hoi Tod or Phad Thai, or simply roasting some satay with excitement, awe and interest. The rule goes that if the locals eat it, then it’s probably safe for the tourist – never eat fruit from beach salesmen around the Med for example; no sensible Italian, Spaniard or Greek would.

The Gov say that they are dirty and block the thoroughfare. I think many of the lower end cafes are much less hygienic and often dirty, and a much less safe bet or lure to the tourist. You can point at what you want to a street vendor. With most café’s menus just in Thai script, there are few tourists that would attempt it – or want to given the state of many of these places. So alternatives: some American fast food factory at the mall/high street or a pay-through-the-nose restaurant. Tourists have Thai restaurants and KFC at home, what they want is authentic Thailand.

Thoroughfare: usually they are outside malls, government buildings, offices and tourist destinations – where they are needed; demand drives this. Sometimes they do set up several layers thick and/or illogically positioned and cause problems to the traffic and/or pedestrians. So rather than getting the cops to move them all on, get them to tell the late comers that are stupidly positioned to move or sod off somewhere else.

Message to TRT: Your tourist industry may not be your biggest income, but exports have just taken a big battering with Chicken exports. This will last a long time in economic terms (ask the UK about that with CJD or foot and mouth – certain so called Euro partners refused to take beef imports from the UK years after the WHO clearance came). A replacement will be found to make up the stocks and you will have to fight very hard to get back anything like your share – you may never achieve it. Your tourist industry is reeling following SARS, terrorism (bombs in the south etc) and now Chicken-Flu. Time to look to your reserves. Time to get out, dust off, and re-launch the ‘Amazing Thailand’ campaign. Stop aiming at 1st world status; you will need the 3rd word help and benefits more than the prestige and obligations of 1st world. Stop trying to impress your people with false statements, cover ups and inflated promises and do what you are in power to do; look after the interests of your people – especially now the hard times are coming again.

What is TRT doing? They keep pronouncing that they want more tourists, but systematically take away the lure of the country.

Why do they think tourists come?

Nightlife is disappearing as clubs and bars are forced to shut up shop early – many are struggling and winding their way to closure. This does not simply mean quieter nights, it means less clubs and more unemployment. Now, getting rid of street food vendors in BKK. Apart from the fact that office workers and members of the Thai public use them constantly, they lend themselves to the pull of Thailand. World famous for its food and excellent street vendors, the smell of the food cooking and the cheap meals are great for tourists – often I’ve watched tourists watch these vendors chopping fruit, frying up Hoi Tod or Phad Thai, or simply roasting some satay with excitement, awe and interest. The rule goes that if the locals eat it, then it’s probably safe for the tourist – never eat fruit from beach salesmen around the Med for example; no sensible Italian, Spaniard or Greek would.

The Gov say that they are dirty and block the thoroughfare. I think many of the lower end cafes are much less hygienic and often dirty, and a much less safe bet or lure to the tourist. You can point at what you want to a street vendor. With most café’s menus just in Thai script, there are few tourists that would attempt it – or want to given the state of many of these places. So alternatives: some American fast food factory at the mall/high street or a pay-through-the-nose restaurant. Tourists have Thai restaurants and KFC at home, what they want is authentic Thailand.

Thoroughfare: usually they are outside malls, government buildings, offices and tourist destinations – where they are needed; demand drives this. Sometimes they do set up several layers thick and/or illogically positioned and cause problems to the traffic and/or pedestrians. So rather than getting the cops to move them all on, get them to tell the late comers that are stupidly positioned to move or sod off somewhere else.

Message to TRT: Your tourist industry may not be your biggest income, but exports have just taken a big battering with Chicken exports. This will last a long time in economic terms (ask the UK about that with CJD or foot and mouth – certain so called Euro partners refused to take beef imports from the UK years after the WHO clearance came). A replacement will be found to make up the stocks and you will have to fight very hard to get back anything like your share – you may never achieve it. Your tourist industry is reeling following SARS, terrorism (bombs in the south etc) and now Chicken-Flu. Time to look to your reserves. Time to get out, dust off, and re-launch the ‘Amazing Thailand’ campaign. Stop aiming at 1st world status; you will need the 3rd word help and benefits more than the prestige and obligations of 1st world. Stop trying to impress your people with false statements, cover ups and inflated promises and do what you are in power to do; look after the interests of your people – especially now the hard times are coming again.

Write that...exactly, to the Bangkok Post...letters to the Editor. Things are getting critical here...in the real world. It is becoming the Thai hate Thai Party.

Guest IT Manager
be your biggest income, but exports have just taken a big battering with Chicken exports. This will last a long time in economic terms (ask the UK about that with CJD or foot and mouth – certain so called Euro partners refused to take beef imports from the UK years after the WHO clearance came).

I was under the impression, wrongly perhaps, that it is the biggest forex earner for Thailand..

Stop aiming at 1st world status; you will need the 3rd word help

I always thought it was a mis translation made by some bad journalists in bangkokpost or nation, the sentence about the 1st world country, I am affraid to constat it could be really pronounced

by the way, if you read the newspaper in thai, you will learn than by friday the chicken flue will be stoping, and pushing back of the country by the next 2 weeks ... in fact, it's not only safe yet to eat chicken, it's also the proof thai citizen love their country and , maybe more important for some people, they love the big business (who is certainly not only thai , does KFC is thai??????)

UK have not recovered from the ban on the export in continental europe of the beef meat (?), not only for legal reason, but also by spontaneous (organized by consumers associations) bans from the customers.

we get some ministers in jails, a few were arrested in their office, for something like promoting potentiel dangerous products for the public health, We are so stubborn, we have never understood how important is it for a real democracy (as in los or usay) to have a big business who do money anytime by all the ways who exist ... we prefer to think we must care for everybody ....... errrrrrrr I forget , France is not a democracy, we are just ..... a Republic .... Maybe Khun Shinawatra must import democracy in france ... or his alter ego (with a big Ego) G.W.Bouche?

For now, I live currently in a zone who were declared dangerous (close chatu Chak Park) with some home were people live with cocks (battle cocks) ... this evening, I am just come back to have dinner, the shop who sell chicken are still here, no customers so far, but still here. And no recommandation were made to the population ...

About first world country, for those who have a clue about economy, there is a very precise definition for first ,second, third and fourth world

First = Rich rich, the first Rich is for the ressources, like Oil, Coal, Gas .... the second is related for the industry ... till the 80' it was only USA, and USSR ... Remove USSR it stay only USA ... Even EU can not be considered as first world country.

Second = Poor Rich, Poor in ressources, for exemple in EU we don't have enought oil/gas .... Rich in Industries.

Third = Rich Poor , Rich in Resources like Oil/gas (Siam Gulf), Gold .... and Poor in industries .... Maybe here is a point, Thailand own some industries, but is it possible to compare them to Bayer, Pechiney British Steel (if still existing) or with Dupont de Nemours, or L'Oreal ??????????????

Fourth = Poor, Poor the best exemple is Ethiopia ... the people there have nothing, only a wooden stick ...

There is some countries who are btw 2 categories, but how to compare Thailand with a , with THE first world country ...

Write that...exactly, to the Bangkok Post...letters to the Editor. Things are getting critical here...in the real world. It is becoming the Thai hate Thai Party.

Heck, send it to the Nation too. Get the word out Wolf. Things in Thailand are changing far too much and far too fast--and in the wrong direction.

Hi guys, thanks for the responses.

First world etc: I am under the understanding that a country 'declares' what it is. It has nothing to do with its economic power, resources or the affluance/poverty of its people other than the government concerned should use this sort of information/knowledge to conclude what it believes the country is before anouncing any change to the status quo. The basic outcome is that If it classes itself as 1st world it is obliged (morally perhaps at least) to help the 3rd world (not saying this actually happens of course); 3rd world countries are given certain benefits and protections - WTO/IMF considerations etc.

Economy: I also understand that the last time the Thai Government stated what its biggest income sectors were, Tourism was third. Exports were first. Not sure what was second. Not sure how this has changed of course.

Perhaps those at BKKPost/Nation etc can confirm - MRRentou?

Perhaps those at BKKPost/Nation etc can confirm

I have often wondered how a country arrives at the conclusion that it belongs in the first world or whatever. I didn't know a country could simply declare it. if I was Thaksin, for my domestic audience I would declare Thailand a first world country, and for all the donors out there I'd say the country was still developing!

As for the export thing, I'm afraid you'll have to look that up somewhere. The government has heaps of sites on the Net.

In just a moment I have to start turning sows ears into silk purses, and I am afraid my magic dust has run out.