Deposit For Taking Over A Eletric Meter

Hi I will rent a house but i have to go and sign they meter in to my name.Of course i have to check no unpaid bill from before

but any one know how much deposit this is?all is there already cabels,meter ect just change it to my name

Edited by crille30

It all depends. Sometimes property is rented out without a meter and someone upgraded it for their own use. It would then be a 'takeover'.

A deposit seems silly, afraid you going to take the meter with you? Or is the deposit meant to clear the electricity bills at the end of the rental period.

Deposit to who? The owner? Electricity company?

It's 2000bt, this is usually for the owner to pay the electric company once a new meter is installed,

then it's registered in there name.

I assume the landlord wants you to have the electric bills in your name so he doesn't have any

comebacks, but it's not the normal way to do things.

It's 2000bt, this is usually for the owner to pay the electric company once a new meter is installed,

I assume the landlord wants you to have the electric bills in your name so he doesn't have any

Normal it certainly isn't ? I have rented maybe twenty houses around Thailand all with the electric in my name and apart from paying 1 months deposit paid nothing else blink.png

You are being scammed my friend ! biggrin.png

Tax on the house, deposit on the meter, no mention of a deposit for the water then ? and no doubt they want the " Standard " 6 months deposit as well ?

Normal it certainly isn't ? I have rented maybe twenty houses around Thailand all with the electric in my name and apart from paying 1 months deposit paid nothing else blink.png

You are being scammed my friend ! biggrin.png

Tax on the house, deposit on the meter, no mention of a deposit for the water then ? and no doubt they want the " Standard " 6 months deposit as well ?

I would not be so quick as to scream scam it is overused, perhaps the landlord has been burned in the past. I had one landlord who did take a 2000 baht deposit on the electric for this reason.

Having electric in your name doesn't save the landlord from anything, same as phone. If you leave a massive outstanding bill, when it comes time to reconnect it is the house itself that is denied service no matter whose name it is in. The balance must be paid before service is reconnected.

ok guys thanks,sorry i was not clear,its not the landlord,i just wonder if the electric company charge a deposit to me when I come there to change the meter to my name.just want to know what to expect.Well I will go and check,or I will not but mt GF so we get the correct facts directly.

Edited by crille30