Global Survey Ranks Bangkok Taxis Fifth Best In The World

Lite Beer

Saw a sign on a taxi a while back - "Driver Speaks English"

I thought to myself what a great idea. They should do that in Oz, UK, USA, Canada,.........................

I could be wrong but I think someone did that in the UK. It caused a few arguments and I think it was dropped although it probably made the point it was trying to get across.

probably a member of the bnp, i'm sure ozmick would approve of them.... they seem to be in the same line of thinking as him.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In most developed countries you can pay the taxi fare by your credit card and get an official tax receipt from the driver, try that in Bangkok where most of the drivers start the day with no smaller notes or coins at all, and cannot even give you back on a 100 baht note, if you are the unlucky one to be the first passenger of the day. Sure they are inexpensive to use but many of them drives like Schumacher wannabes and most cars are missing their safety belts! I had many scary rides during the years with some of the Bangkok Taxis, but been lucky that I never had a major accident when using them.

• Like 1

Say what?

I'm sorry but I think the people who did this survey didn't catch a Bangkok Taxi.

My partner took 30 minutes to flag a cab (2 weeks ago) from home to Hualumpong Train

Station because they didn't want to go that way even though new rules state they

must pick up any passenger without refusal.

Take a taxi from Hualumpong to Chinatown and taxis want anything from 200-350baht.

And we have all had drivers wanting to take the expressway without asking and even at 2am.

5th worst yes.. top 5 are you kidding me?

I would rather pay more for BTS and Airport Rail links than catch a Bangkok taxi

that tries to cheat people and plays Red-Shirt Radio anyday.

Idea ,Let's double the fares and see some better quality of service, and cars.

I caught a taxi the other day Mochit to Chaeng Wattana I'm sure I was in on my first trip to Thailand

in...in 1984.

(BTS to Chaeng Wattana coming soonclap2.gif ) Maybe 1 Year

Soi Rang Nam the taxis have a meeting place where they drink and leave bottles on the footpath

Do you want me to go on?

Edited by LindsayBKK
  • Like 2

Say what?

I'm sorry but I think the people who did this survey didn't catch a Bangkok Taxi.

My partner took 30 minutes to flag a cab (2 weeks ago) from home to Hualumpong Train

Station because they didn't want to go that way even though new rules state they

must pick up any passenger without refusal.

Take a taxi from Hualumpong to Chinatown and taxis want anything from 200-350baht.

And we have all had drivers wanting to take the expressway without asking and even at 2am.

5th worst yes.. top 5 are you kidding me?

I would rather pay more for BTS and Airport Rail links than catch a Bangkok taxi

that tries to cheat people and plays Red-Shirt Radio anyday.

Idea ,Let's double the fares and see some better quality of service, and cars.

I caught a taxi the other day Mochit to Chaeng Wattana I'm sure I was in on my first trip to Thailand

in...in 1984.

(BTS to Chaeng Wattana coming soonclap2.gif ) Maybe 1 Year

Soi Rang Nam the taxis have a meeting place where they drink and leave bottles on the footpath

Do you want me to go on?

A bit "glass half empty", Lindsay. I'm sure all you say happens, but not all the time. In fact, not that much in my experience over many years (mind you, I don't take cabs all the time; I have a car).

I've had some remarkably civilized conversations with some drivers and know of cases where these drivers have regular passengers by appointment and charge very reasonable daily or half-daily rates to take visitors around both in and out of Bangkok. However, they're all owner-drivers. If you get some guy who's just come in from the provinces to drive a cab during the dry season, then anything could happen.

• Like 1

Re: Bangkok Taxis.

Never taken a taxi in Bangkok that wasn't inexpensive. Never taken a taxi where the driver didn't know where to go. Never taken a taxi who didn't allow me to tell them what route I wanted or how fast or slow I wanted them to drive. Never had a taxi driver not respect my wishes for music on/off or the type of station I wanted. Never entered taxi without a seat belt for the front passenger. Never felt intimidated or seen anything that would make me feel like I am dealing with the mafia as some people refer to them

I have had taxis not want to take me to where I wanted to go but there has always been another one right around the corner that did. I have no problem with a taxi driver not being forced to go where they don't want. Although 99% of the time the taxis are clean I have run across some that smell but this is a rarity because it is rare I ever feel the need or desire to get into an older taxis with both the plethora of taxis and newer taxis. Also have had taxi drivers at certain spots during certain time of the day who don't want to use the meter (though rare), again there is another taxi right around the corner if they still don't want to use the meeter after being told you want it.

Absolutely the best, cheapest and easiest place to get a taxi (they are all over and pick-up and drop over anywhere) and by experienced drivers who know Bangkok including the outskirts. Just must my person experience and imagine I have taken over 3,000 taxi rides in and around and to and from Bangkok. The biggest negative is they won't always take you somewhere they don't want to go but I have no problem with this and being there is so many and I prefer dealing with people who are happy for the business and not feeling forced to do something.

Nisa - absolutely right - There are always a few rotten apples in every barrel and people shouldn't get too wound up about the odd miserable sod etc. etc. Some taxis are run by 'organisations' in the seedier parts of the country, so use you feet and walk a couple of blocks and find a proper taxi if you don't want their services. For the price they are spot on.

• Like 1

Saw a sign on a taxi a while back - "Driver Speaks English"

I thought to myself what a great idea. They should do that in Oz, UK, USA, Canada,.........................

I could be wrong but I think someone did that in the UK. It caused a few arguments and I think it was dropped although it probably made the point it was trying to get across.

probably a member of the bnp, i'm sure ozmick would approve of them.... they seem to be in the same line of thinking as him.

I'm told one of the easiest ways to detect the mentally ill is to tell them a joke as their thought processes cannot handle the required connections. If you don't appreciate my attempts at humour, twice in 2 days, try to understand that the problem may be at your end, and stop trying to guess how my thoughts are aligned.

BTW the single eye is very appropriate. How's your depth perception?

London was top?? My experience of calling taxis in London are of getting a west African driver in an old beat up motor driving African style across the city. Black cabs are another story but I don't think that's what people are referring to in the survey.

I think that is exactly what they are referring to in the survey. Our government does NOT beat around the bush when it comes to letting people know about the dangers of unlicensed mini-cabs (almost certainly what you are referring to). You either use a booked mini-cab or a black cab. The booked mini-cabs are hit and miss, but again I do not think they are talking about that. Tell a black cab driver an address anywhere in London and he/she will immediately know all the routes available and know what traffic reports are relevant and alter their chosen routes to move around them. Yes, they are VERY expensive, but you will always get to where you want, comfortably and in style.

• Like 1

Having been a taxi driver in Adelaide for a few years before i came to live in LOS, i understand the few times i have been refused a ride at 3 or 4am. I even understand the one time i was taken on the "scenic route" from the airport to my hotel. It happens. Generally, i would say the taxi experience in Bkk is superior to my home town in terms of value, driver knowledge and availability.

About 80% of the taxi drivers in Adelaide are Indian. No problem with that if they knew where to go, could speak English, weren't rude to their customers, didn't cheat on a regular basis, and if their vehicles didn't have a stale curry aroma.

If you want to go 500m their great. After that they haven't got a clue where to go.

Not true. I've had a taxi driver take me through the back streets during 'rush hours' to avoid jams and many times take a circuitous route for the same reason. No problems with drivers getting lost but sometimes had a problem locating a specific building.

• Like 2

Great value for money IF they turn the meter on. Try getting one to do that outside the Grand Palace! They are a lot like Washington D.C. taxis: Easy to find, cars are a wreck, the drivers usually don't know where you want to go and the drivers don't speak English. Actually I shouldn't carp about the language since it is their country, but on the other hand, with the advent of the AEC maybe they should work a little harder on English. Taxis that you get at a hotel are like cruise missiles. The doorman programs in the guidance when the trip starts but if you don't know Thai and he goes off course then you are SOL.

All in all I don't see them as number 5 in global rankings. Hard to figure where that came from.

In 2005 my wife daughter and self went down to Bkk to do the Embassy thing. My wife in her wisdom forgot to mention that the following day was the start of Sonkran. As I'm sure your all aware this meant every seat on every form of transport to Udonthani was booked solid. My wife had a Taxi Card on her and phoned to see if we could get one that would take us up Country. As we finished breakfast about 20 minutes later, parked outside was a brand new Corolla with a huge cb ariel on the back. We left Bkk at 9.00am and he had us in Udon by 3.30pm. As we were climbing the Hills out of Bkk he was getting updates on road conditions for the trip. When he had finished the voice on the radio came over in English wishing me a safe and comfortable trip. I was impressed !! The cost was Bt 6600 with a smile, and when you consider what 3 plane tickets was going to cost me, a dam_n good deal and all the sight seeing thrown in for free. Try that in your own country !!

• Like 1

Taxis in BKK are well priced excellent for availability and drivers are more often than not friendly but given the option most will take you to your destination the longest way possible if you don’t tell them otherwise, a number of if the cabs in BKK are very old with little or no suspension on them and sometimes very little tread on the tyres and interiors can be rather dilapidated, when flagging down a BKK taxi you have to make sure its a reasonably new car. I think 5th is about right in a world ranking.

I have to say, I was always satisfied with their services in general.

Just one thing, why don't they do a call service ?

They do.

Dial 1681 - there is a Baht 20 charge added to the Meter reading for this Service.

Also once you have called them once and they know where you live they record your 'phone number and next time you simply tell them your number and they have everything in their records including GPS co-ordinates.

Patrick

• Like 1

Most of them refuse to take you to your desired destination. Most off their taxis are wrecks. Most of them do not have seat belts. Yes shure they are great. My guess: They are no. 5 in the 3rd. world.

Suggest you go to Specsavers before you choose another taxi. Your comments are crass not to mention mostly pure fabrication. There are seatbelts in the back but for some reason they are hidden under the seat squab.

Agreed. I have been using Bangkok Taxis for fourteen years and with few notable exceptions they are great. I have never had one try to take me in a roundabout way except during heavy traffic and am often amazed at arriving in a timely fashion during all of the chaos. Also they are meticulous about giving me correct change down to the exact baht.

Never taken a taxi where the driver didn't know where to go.

Then you must go from the airport to Patpong and back to the airport. Bangkok taxi drivers are to a man absolutely useless when it comes to local knowledge. Even if it's somewhere you would expect a taxi driver to know like a large company HQ or a leading university, you're delusional if you think a taxi driver is going to know the way there. This isn't surprising when some guy from Isaan can just show up with 700 baht and be a taxi driver for 12 hours. Pay peanuts, get monkeys.

I am in full agreement with your reply. I have even taken one taxi where the driver did not even know where Patpong was! Even when you clearly state your destination to the driver when entering the cab, the driver will nod with vigour, so off you go. In truth you could end up anywhere in BKK. I have had this situation occur on several occasions. Maybe I have just been unlucky.

They do.

Dial 1681 - there is a Baht 20 charge added to the Meter reading for this Service.

Also once you have called them once and they know where you live they record your 'phone number and next time you simply tell them your number and they have everything in their records including GPS co-ordinates.

Patrick

Thanks for that smile.png

Where is Singapore?????????? i have never had a problem with a Taxi there, but i have in BKK and London!!

Taxis are different class in Singapore. thumbsup.gif

A bit pricey, but at least they all speak English. In fact my first Singapore Taxi driver was a Thai!!!!, who told me that if the driver doesn't speak english, dont get in!!

Find a local cabbie that you are happy with and get his card/phone number especially if you can communicate with him in a common language and call him when you need him . Reward the good cabbies with more work .

Edited by xen