Surprise Itunes Music Purge

T_Dog

Woke up this morning and Itunes had the original introductory tutorial message on that I saw seven years ago when my MacBook was new. 7 GB of my music was simply gone. All other directories are fine and using the disk utilities doesn't find any problems. I was able to reload it all quickly from my firewire backup drive, but have never seen anything like this before. The day before I was not doing any funky operations but I did notice that after I put the machine to sleep, it was back up and running an hour later. Anyone have any ideas of why the music purged? Never experienced anything remotely unreliable or crazy like this before.

I have never seen that, and, if that happened to me (and my 100GB of music was not backed up) then I would be pretty angry. I don't suppose you use iTunes Match or upgraded iTunes recently through software update did you?

Something similar happened to me quite a few years ago. Did a update of Itunes, or itunes did an automatic upgrade should i say, and then i connected my new ipod (which i had not registered to itunes as it was the first time i had used that ipod) and a large percentage of my stuff dissappeared. If i remember rightly there was a lot of stuff from Limewire - just hard to find old Rn'B ,Soul etc- mainly collectors stuff so it must have been something about them protecting copyright. Luckily i still had the music in my files as a lot of that stuff they deleted was not available commercially.

Thus begun my aversion to apple .

I have never seen that, and, if that happened to me (and my 100GB of music was not backed up) then I would be pretty angry. I don't suppose you use iTunes Match or upgraded iTunes recently through software update did you?

No Match or ITunes upgrades, although Microsoft apps for Mac did upgrade two days ago. Quite an odd occurrence here to just lose it all overnight. Quite a bit of limewire here too.

edit: Playlists and links to radio stations were also gone. It looked like a new install of Itunes but I certainly never saw any notifications of an upgrade.

Edited by T_Dog
  • Like 1

did you check your music folder, and did it actually delete the files? I'd imagine it didn't, rather the index somehow got screwed up & it can be fixed by removing all files from iTunes (say "No" when it asks whether it should delete the files), then dragging the music/iTunes folder back on the main window.

I've had it once where it couldn't find my iTunes library and I had to point it at the right folder.

did you check your music folder, and did it actually delete the files? I'd imagine it didn't, rather the index somehow got screwed up & it can be fixed by removing all files from iTunes (say "No" when it asks whether it should delete the files), then dragging the music/iTunes folder back on the main window.

I've had it once where it couldn't find my iTunes library and I had to point it at the right folder.

The folders were completely gone in library and media. Luckily I was able to drag my back up copy with no problems. Sometimes that isn't straight forward with Itunes and Iphoto.