Voltage Converting Up?

Not quite sure if this is the correct forum, but mods can move the posting if not.

I know if one wants to use a 110 volt appliance here in Thailand, which is 220 volts, one needs a converter.

Been there, done that, BLAM! Smart enough not to do it again.

But what about going the other way?

I'd like to take a rice cooker from here to Canada. That means the appliance is built for 220 volts, but I'd be using it with only a 110 input.

I doubt it would explode or smoke, but would it even work? No moving parts, so that's not an issue, just the timer and temperature and heating.

Do I need some kind of converter to use that 220 appliance with 110 input? If yes, I assume they're pretty easy to find, and not expensive?

You would be better off purchasing a rice cooker for 110VAC operation.

Otherwise you will require a suitable transformer 110/220VAC it must be able to supply the full load current of your rice cooker. Make sure that the socket outlets and plug tops are compatible.

Rather an expensive operation.

Edited by electau
  • Like 1

I had at one time an automatic converter, give it 220 and it put out 110, give it 110 and it put out 220, bought in Italy. I've seen similar units here (in NPE if I recall correctly).

But as electau notes a 110 appliance would be a better idea unless of course you already have the cooker.

I had at one time an automatic converter, give it 220 and it put out 110, give it 110 and it put out 220, bought in Italy. I've seen similar units here (in NPE if I recall correctly).

But as electau notes a 110 appliance would be a better idea unless of course you already have the cooker.

Thanks, Crossy & electau.

I don't have the unit yet, but as prices I noted back in Canada were five to six times more than what I've noticed here, I figure I could take one with me next time I head there.

That kind of both way converter would be great. I'll see if I can find one in my nearest electronics mall in Rayong next time I'm there. At least there's no rush.

No worries about the sockets and plugs, as either it'll fit or I have a collection of plug converters.

I just wondered what would happen if I plugged the 220 cooker into 110 supply. I know what happens the other way around, but this way?

Probably just won't work.

If you have one of the Japanese stores nearby they may have 110V (or dual voltage) rice cookers as much of Japan is 110V 60Hz.

Interesting.. Japan is 100V, 50 Hz in Eastern Japan, 60 Hz in Western Japan.

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2225.html

In answer to the OP, using half the voltage means it won't work well, if at all.. The digital timer probably won't work and if it does it might not run at the right time as some clocks use line frequency for their timing source. At least it won't go "poof" right away. It will die a brown out death.

I've tried running 220v appliances on 110v. If it works at all it will not work very well, its getting half the juice needed.

Rice cookers are dead cheap here in Canada, go to Wal-Mart under $20, unles you want the oil-drum size ones they use in restaurants.

Interesting.. Japan is 100V, 50 Hz in Eastern Japan, 60 Hz in Western Japan.

Indeed you are correct, brain getting old :(

It is still worth looking in the Japanese or Korean stores for dual voltage cookers mind.

I've tried running 220v appliances on 110v. If it works at all it will not work very well, its getting half the juice needed.

Rice cookers are dead cheap here in Canada, go to Wal-Mart under $20, unles you want the oil-drum size ones they use in restaurants.

Cheap in Canada? The ones I saw in several shops there were well over $100. I can get a suitable one here for between $25 and $30.

I'll look around to see if I can find a small transformer, or a model which has a switch for dual voltage built in. I got one of those a couple of decades ago when I was working in South Korea, and figure it's time to replace it biggrin.png

Cheap in Canada? The ones I saw in several shops there were well over $100. I can get a suitable one here for between $25 and $30.

I'll look around to see if I can find a small transformer, or a model which has a switch for dual voltage built in. I got one of those a couple of decades ago when I was working in South Korea, and figure it's time to replace it biggrin.png

Just be aware that you will need one between 700 - 1000 Watt rating so may not be that small or light especially if it is a step down transformer type.

I have one of those I bought at Emporium. Pretty slick but it only handles 80 watts.

I have Asian students in my home and over the years its been necessary to have bought three rice cookers in Canada. Never paid more than $20.

And at those prices, most are with the floppy metal or glass lid that sprays starchy steam around the kitchen and lets it overflow down the side.

Cheapest amongst all those with a snap-down lid was near a minimum of $80

I'm in no hurry, so I'll look about to see if I can find a small one I like that has a built-in switch for dual voltage.

I think to use transformer for rice cooker is bad idea because rice cookers use high power 500-1500w. The step up transformer for this spec is difficult to find in Thailand, or if you can find, it will be very heavy and expensive.

The dual voltage rice cooker I found from internet are Philips HD4745 HD4746 HD4747, other models are 220v only. Can't find info about dual voltage for other brands.

http://www.sinsiamelectronics.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=61&sort=2a&filter_id=8

Thanks, Crossy & electau.

I don't have the unit yet, but as prices I noted back in Canada were five to six times more than what I've noticed here, I figure I could take one with me next time I head there.

That kind of both way converter would be great. I'll see if I can find one in my nearest electronics mall in Rayong next time I'm there. At least there's no rush.

No worries about the sockets and plugs, as either it'll fit or I have a collection of plug converters.

I just wondered what would happen if I plugged the 220 cooker into 110 supply. I know what happens the other way around, but this way?

walmart site shows rice cookers in usa from 12 usd up...seems strange to take one from thailand and have to worry about electrical converter ??