Waterproof Phone

FTB

I've search both in the CNX section and Tech section of this forum and come up witrh no prior topics.

Wondering if the shopping masses in CNX may be able to point me in the correct direction. I'm looking for a phone that can handle some rough treatment and more importantly is somewhat waterproof.

Has anybody seen anything like this in CNX?

Thanks in advance.

I use a Lifeproof case for my iPhone 4S, 2 mt underwater and takes real good underwater pics and sound movies and is good for 2 mt shock, it's been dropped face first on cement with no damage. Bunch of accessories avail. I use the bike handle bar mount for mt. biking and take some cool videos of muddy riding. Very light and not much bigger than iPhone. Check out this underwater video of mine

I bought it at Apple in Airport Plaza and had mounts ect. shipped from their website but seen for sale at lots of local shops.
  • Like 1

I use a Lifeproof case for my iPhone 4S, 2 mt underwater and takes real good underwater pics and sound movies and is good for 2 mt shock, it's been dropped face first on cement with no damage. Bunch of accessories avail. I use the bike handle bar mount for mt. biking and take some cool videos of muddy riding. Very light and not much bigger than iPhone. Check out this underwater video of mine

I bought it at Apple in Airport Plaza and had mounts ect. shipped from their website but seen for sale at lots of local shops.

+1 And there are other cases, too. Shop around in the major computer retail centers.

Edited by Mapguy

Motorola Defy range. NEC (dont know the name. Medias.. I think)

I-mobile Seal ...

sent from my ..................#

teerac just got the Motorola Defy which claims to be waterproof but obviously only for a quick dousing or being dropped in the toilet......u can buy one at Zoom on the 3rd floor of Airport Plaza where all the phone shops are....cost 4900 baht..a good deal in my opinion

Motorola Defy range. NEC (dont know the name. Medias.. I think)

I-mobile Seal ...

teerac just got the Motorola Defy which claims to be waterproof but obviously only for a quick dousing or being dropped in the toilet......u can buy one at Zoom on the 3rd floor of Airport Plaza where all the phone shops are....cost 4900 baht..a good deal in my opinion

The Defy + or mini?

The + is actually capable of submersion in 3 meter of water:D

• 6 months later...

And, besides waterproofing it, how do you hear?

Seriously, I have one of those really cheap Nokia's, almost as cheap as a disposable cell phone.

I often cannot hear enough to be able to converse for more than about 10 seconds.

One in a great while, all of a sudden, I get this truly spectacularly clear signal and I can hear every word in almost Hi Fi!

Usually though I have the volume turned all the way up and it sounds like am speaking to a fish under water.

Is the phone or the AIS system I have or my ear or what?

I would like a phone that I do not need to worry about when it gets wet, but who cares if it gets wet when I often can't hear much in the first place?

The lifeproof case actually makes the sound better and ofcourse one can use headphones which have a waterproof connector. I also have another waterproof case for my iPod which has waterproof headphones that I use for swimming or with my lifeproof case. I think you hit it on the head when you said you have a really cheap one.

Thanks Junglechef, I really will try some earbuds, which I also use for my Walkman, but with a different plug. (When I am not also listening to my Shoe Phone.)

It seems to me that this 30USD cheap Nokia will work fine when the conditions are optimal, like when in HK, but when I am not on a very good network, then this thing I am using does not seem adequate to be of much use. It rarely works in Taiwan, and I have only tried it in Chiang Mai where it only rarely provides a good quality connection.

Maybe it actually might help if I gave it a good soaking.

• Like 1

Check the new Sony Xperia ZR. It is supposedly waterproof and can even take photos under water, and submerged up to 1.5 meters for 30 min. Should be available soon, if not already.

Also, Kyocera recently announced the Hydro Edge, which is supposed to also be waterproof.

Edited by ebcal

Yea it's cheap because it runs android 2.3 (waaaaay old version from over 2 years ago)

And the RAM is pretty low and there is no 2nd core.

It would function, but

1. I doubt you could run the newer version of android on it (or even 4.0) due to needing more resources

2. if you end up putting a lot of apps on there (and you normally do if you like to use your phone for lots of cool stuff), it will be so slow you will want to throw it against the wall.

But if you want moderate functionality (which is of course 100x more than the old throwaway phones), then its still cool.

Might be ok if you can get it for 4k baht

Having said that, the iphone is absurdly priced, and offers little more useful features than an android of half the price. Its beyond me why anyone would purchase it other than from the hype of the past.

You also might be able to get an older phone much cheaper online.

I got a HTC Sensation XE (its not waterproof or anything that you are looking for, just giving an online vs thai price example), and I paid $300 from ebay (now its $250), and in thailand its still around 15k baht ... just because older models here seem to take so long to go down in price compared to stuff online.

Edited by maps424

Yea it's cheap because it runs android 2.3 (waaaaay old version from over 2 years ago)

It would function, but

1. I doubt you could run the newer version of android on it (or even 4.0) due to needing more resources

2. if you end up putting a lot of apps on there (and you normally do if you like to use your phone for lots of cool stuff), it will be so slow you will want to throw it against the wall.

But if you want moderate functionality (which is of course 100x more than the old throwaway phones), then its still cool.

Having said that, the iphone is absurdly priced, and offers little more useful features than an android of half the price. Its beyond me why anyone would purchase it other than from the hype of the past.

I got a HTC Sensation XE (its not waterproof or anything that you are looking for, just giving an online vs thai price example), and I paid $300 from ebay (now its $250), and in thailand its still around 15k baht ... just because older models here seem to take so long to go down in price compared to stuff online.

I paid 3,300 on line in Thailand.

It's fine.

This thread is about waterproof / shock proof phones. The overpriced phone you mentioned is neither.

Edited by MESmith

It would function, but

I paid 3,300 on line in Thailand.

It's fine.

This thread is about waterproof / shock proof phones. The overpriced phone you mentioned is neither.

Gday MESmith ... what site did you purchase from?