Import Tax On Motorbike Parts Bought Online, Will I Have To Pay Any ?

JedSmith

If I order some new engine parts from a shop in Japan for my KSR & will I have to pay any TAX on it if I get it sent to my place in BKK ??

The law now in Australia is if it is over $1000 you have to pay, but under you don't. So I am wondering should I just get it sent there & just bring it with me in my luggage? ( I have done this before with parts but nothing as big as an exhaust, swing arm etc )

Thanks for any information in advance.

• 1 year later...

My experience is it is very arbitrary, after sending and recieving about 30 packages most of the time it go through

unchecked but if they investigate your package and there are bikeparts in there they make a form and you need to pay

On this form are 2 kind of taxes al together its about 1/3 of the value.

Bringing it with the lugage doesn t mean you no need to pay when they see boxes they most of the time

let you open this and then its same procedure.

There is no minimum value for it the criteria is bike parts there is a import law for this .

Edited by roadrunner300
  • Like 1

Agreed - very arbitrary. Something "as big as an exhaust, swing arm etc" would probably get noticed in the mail, especially if it had a customs declaration sticker on it, and import taxes also vary depending on if the parts are new or second-hand and any import tax (and VAT) can include the cost of the postage as well as the part.

I brought in a custom exhaust and header for a Harley a few years ago, as well as quite a few other parts (air filter, 'bars, 'pegs, lights) which was pretty obvious as I walked through the "items to declare" channel at Don Mueang with it on top of my luggage cart in bubble-wrap; by a fortunate co-incidence the Customs officer there had bought a Harley from the same dealer (Fred Warr's, on the King's Road) when he had been in London, so he let me through without any charge at all.

• Like 1

I had a set of 4 carbs delivered from the states. I think I paid 500b

I have had lots of other smaller items deliverd (coils, spark boxes, tools, etc) and I think the max was 7b. Yes, 7b.

But, whatever you do, make sure it's sent USPS, Royal Mail, Ocker Mail or whatever the national postal service is. All the private courier companies (UPS, FedEx, etc.) are thieves in Thailand.

Edited by Wong!
  • Like 1

I had a set of 4 carbs delivered from the states. I think I paid 500b

I have had lots of other smaller items deliverd (coils, spark boxes, tools, etc) and I think the max was 7b. Yes, 7b.

But, whatever you do, make sure it's sent USPS, Royal Mail, Ocker Mail or whatever the national postal service is. All the private courier companies (UPS, FedEx, etc.) are thieves in Thailand.

+1 I always go with USPS at all times possible.