Can I Get A Laos Entry Visa At Huai Kon Crossing In Nan Province?

When this crossing opened some years ago, foreigners needed to have obtained the Laos visa beforehand. But the latest I have sourced on this forum (2010) says foreigners can now get a visa on arrival at Laos immigration. I just want to make sure this is still the case. Has anyone done the crossing recently?

Further to my OP I have found an article on the Tourism Authority of Thailand website - "Nan, the New Gateway to Laos" posted on July 27, 2012. It makes no specific mention of needing a visa beforehand, so I can only hope that they wouldn't be calling it a "new gateway" if it wasn't! It also outlines the road travel options from there to Luang Prabang, which was another question I had.

Further to my OP I have found an article on the Tourism Authority of Thailand website - "Nan, the New Gateway to Laos" posted on July 27, 2012. It makes no specific mention of needing a visa beforehand, so I can only hope that they wouldn't be calling it a "new gateway" if it wasn't! It also outlines the road travel options from there to Luang Prabang, which was another question I had.

Hi. I was there last April for a quick border run. I got my Lao visa right at the Lao border for one month. the officer in charge was a very friendly man with a good comand of english. the visa fee is between 1200 and 1500 Bht, depends on ur nationality. the road to the checkpoint is quite good.exept the last 20-25 km, but the scenery is great

Hi Oldsalt. got an email from Thaivisa from you and replied but must have done something wrong.

so again. I was there on Songkhran and the bordermarket was closed no Transportation, but if the market is open you should get one. the officer in charge was a very nice and helpful guy. If you only on a fast visarun in and out I would go to Maesai it is much smoother, better roads and better transportation plus visafee is only 500 Bht.