Where Should Give Birth Thai Or Australia?

BuffaloRescue

Thanks

Where is the best hospital in Thailand to deliver babies? What is the process of registering there? We have a home in Chiang Mai so if we need to go to Bangkok probably have to stay in a hotel near the hospital there before and after birth until shes ready to travel back.

Thanks

Mate you are really freaking out about nothing,i went thru the same emotions here as well(my first child),your wife doesn't have a terminal disease she is having a baby...they are born every five minutes and the hospitals doctors are well trained in delivering babies no matter where you have it.We used a clinic for the monthly check ups 500bht a time, our doctor who was free lancing from a private hospital(which is common) told us not to worry about having the baby in a private hospital,we went to banglamung free care,had all the whizz bang machines,after delivery we booked a private room for three days.The nurses showed us how to change nappies,shower the baby etc etc.

Also don't get talked into a caesarean if not needed some doctors think baby will be a monster size because its half/half simply not true..also its a money spinner for private hospital.It takes a lot longer for the wife to recover from a caesar than natural birth too,they have to cut into the stomach and it takes weeks to heal and not pleasant if you have to care for new born.

Agreed .. Thailand is an amazing country ... biggrin.png

Not really-its fun if you have money. But id avoid it like the plague, if humanely possible, in raising kids there.

Thai kids are awesome, so cute and well behaved. I love Thai culture thats why I love Thailand. Its possible to give them a good education. Was thinking Thai primary school then International school., then back to Oz for university if thats what they want to do.. Its not all about money anyway

On second thoughts maybe not an International school ive got some friends from HK and Sing who went to International schools they are a bit strange, like they grew up with kids from all over the world without a specific culture. Does that make sense? They are maybe a bit messed up

I agree! Me and my partner plan to raise our child in Thailand. But we will keep an open mind and see how our situation develops.

In my opinion for documentation of Citizenship it doesnt really matter, there are good hospitals here in Thailand & some better than some ive seen in Oz!

I would think further down the track for what-if's.. You are Australian so I would suggest making sure that either way you do it that you can easily take your children back to Australia without any hassles..

Myself, I did it in Thailand & am now having to follow legalisation process's to legally take my child out of the country to live.

All Im saying it keep that kind of thing in mind too..

In my opinion for documentation of Citizenship it doesnt really matter, there are good hospitals here in Thailand & some better than some ive seen in Oz!

I would think further down the track for what-if's.. You are Australian so I would suggest making sure that either way you do it that you can easily take your children back to Australia without any hassles..

Myself, I did it in Thailand & am now having to follow legalisation process's to legally take my child out of the country to live.

All Im saying it keep that kind of thing in mind too..

Actually she has dual citizenship also. Says in the op.

• 1 month later...

I have given birth in both Thailand and Australia. Giving birth in Australia was a much more positive experience. The quality of care at hospital and the space to adjust to having a new baby after leaving hospital were better in Australia. Postnatal care was also better in Australia. Even going public (not having private health insurance) in Australia, the mother's wishes are respected and accommodated as far as possible.

In Thailand, I felt like I was coerced into many uncomfortable situations (eg. no warning or permission to administer an enema; being told I had to lie down while I was in labour when I wanted to walk around; not being allowed to have my husband in the room and no nurses for company - they told me to call once I could see the baby's head coming out! etc, etc). Then once I was out of hospital, strangers would come and touch my baby; old women would squeeze my breasts to make sure I had enough milk; everyone had an opinion on what I could and couldn't eat etc, etc.

If I were you, I would have your baby here and get their Aussie birth certificate first. You can always decide about dual citizenship later, and use their Aussie birth certificate to get a Thai birth certificate from Canberra in order to gain dual citizenship for them if that's what you decide you want.

• Like 2

Aussie lady being perhaps the only 'lady' to comment on this would probably be the wisest in regards to your wife op.

The only thing I now have thought about in hinds sight is my wife really would have liked her family around for that support. Although my family love her and my mother is a midwife/nurse, its kinda not the same.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, so you're not actually married to the mum-to-be...

I can tell you that from a half Thai - half Brit, 27 year old female point of view... It doesn't make any difference where the birth takes place, as you've been advised by the other members, dual nationality is a birth right. You can get the passports done the day the kid is born or later on in life. It's roughly the same application process.

You probably should start thinking about where in the world you want to raise a family but based on your occupation, lifestyle desires and support system. You can make the perfect living environment once these are in place.

If plans are very relaxed... And if I were you, I'd suggest to the GF to have the boy/girl in Oz where you will be seen legally as the father, the birth certificate gets translated afterwards for the Thai docs. Where kids are involved, people need to get the legal stuff sorted out at the beginning and not ten years down the line when circumstances have changed. You only need to read posts on TV by members going through rough patches to get an idea. I'm not saying that you don't have fatherly rights in Thailand or anything bad is going to happen but its very difficult understanding procedures when the rules were not written in your language. Better safe than sorry.

Ps. Can't make a suggestion for if its a boy. My 35 year old brother isn't bothered about getting Thai nationality and will never stay longer than for a holiday. Each to his own.

Good luck

• Like 1

I can tell you that from a half Thai - half Brit, 27 year old female point of view... It doesn't make any difference where the birth takes place, as you've been advised by the other members, dual nationality is a birth right. You can get the passports done the day the kid is born or later on in life. It's roughly the same application process.

You probably should start thinking about where in the world you want to raise a family but based on your occupation, lifestyle desires and support system. You can make the perfect living environment once these are in place.

If plans are very relaxed... And if I were you, I'd suggest to the GF to have the boy/girl in Oz where you will be seen legally as the father, the birth certificate gets translated afterwards for the Thai docs. Where kids are involved, people need to get the legal stuff sorted out at the beginning and not ten years down the line when circumstances have changed. You only need to read posts on TV by members going through rough patches to get an idea. I'm not saying that you don't have fatherly rights in Thailand or anything bad is going to happen but its very difficult understanding procedures when the rules were not written in your language. Better safe than sorry.

Ps. Can't make a suggestion for if its a boy. My 35 year old brother isn't bothered about getting Thai nationality and will never stay longer than for a holiday. Each to his own.

Good luck

Obviously you havnt had a child yet correct?

It makes a big difference. Ask your Thai mum what she thinks if she gave birth in both countries, I dont know.. The aftercare thats given in UK and Australian hospitals is way way better than Thailand and the whole having a baby in a Thai hospital is nowhere near as good as our countries. Its so much more professional than Thailand its a no brainer, our hospital system tops it hands down not to mention the 5grand our govt gives for having a baby. What makes me an expert?, my wifes had babies in Thailand and just had our daughter here in Aus. She says its excellent. The only thing I wish she could have had would have been my wifes family around.

Obviously you havnt had a child yet correct?

It makes a big difference. Ask your Thai mum what she thinks if she gave birth in both countries, I dont know.. The aftercare thats given in UK and Australian hospitals is way way better than Thailand and the whole having a baby in a Thai hospital is nowhere near as good as our countries. Its so much more professional than Thailand its a no brainer, our hospital system tops it hands down not to mention the 5grand our govt gives for having a baby. What makes me an expert?, my wifes had babies in Thailand and just had our daughter here in Aus. She says its excellent. The only thing I wish she could have had would have been my wifes family around.

Krisb, if you read my post again you may notice that I support the idea that they go to Australia.

No I do not have children but as I am planning a family, I have spent a great deal of time researching into the best facilities and best doctors in Thailand. I can say that from the discussions I've had with other Expats and their personal experiences of giving birth in Thailand compared to their homeland; I would not hesitate to give birth in Thailand. Of course I am not talking about the low funded government hospitals. The recommendations that I have been given has provided me with numerous options... Perhaps local Thai ladies do not have these same discussions and then the funds for private health care to make a better choice? I just don't know.