Phuket To Penang Visa Run By Plane Trip Report

I had booked a visa run to penang by minibus (cost 4000 thb pretty much all included except visa cost) but 24hours before departing I stumbled upon this thread http://www.thaivisa....visa-run-smash/

Ooops. Same company. I imagined getting stuck for hours between two fat and sweaty sexpats in a minivan driven recklessly by a yaba addict and decided I was too young to die this way.

I canceled the minivan trip and booked a last minute flight to penang with firefly for about 6500 thb. Planning trip in advance could reduce the price to 5500 thb.

The schedule is not great : flights every other day, arrival late afternoon in penang and departure early afternoon two days later, too early if the ambassy can only give the passport back in the afternoon next day. I hoped I could get the passport back in the morning instead (better gamble than hoping that the minivan driver would not overtake in a blind stop at the same time as an eighteen wheeler coming the other way).

- Monday, drove motorbike to the airport. Motorbike parking entry is 500m before the airport entry.

- flight with firefly, departure 3:10pm, arrival 5:25pm local time

- I usually hate the bus because it takes forever to get there and I never know when to get down, but i wasn't in a hurry and could save the 40+ ringit taxi ride, so I took the 401E bus for 2.7 ringgit. The bus stop is a little bit on the left coming out of the airport.

- Got down in a shopping mall street at the same time as some backpackers who i guessed were heading to Chulia street, the affordable hotels/hostels area.

- After a bit of walking, found a decent room for 99 ringgit in a new hotel called "Yes Hotel", clean and comfortable (but the street below is a bit noisy in the morning). Not sure if it's the best deal around but cheaper and not too crappy hostels seemed to be fully booked.

- Walked to Chulia street to enquire about my visa issue. Went to Jim's Place on Chulia street, who told me I could get my visa next day in the afternoon "no problem". Gave him my passport, 140 ringgit (tourist visa cost 110 included), two passport photos, signed the form and that was it. Much cheaper than going to the consulate by taxi, no need to queue or wake up early in the morning, visa delivered same day... perfect!

- Tuesday, picked up my passport in the afternoon with my fresh tourist visa as promised. My passport was brand new as I had made a new one recently in bangkok, but I asked Jim if there was any problem to get back to back tourist visas, even when using the 30 days extension... He told me "no problem come to see me next time".

- Stuffed my belly with delicious dim sum, rotis, indian food and chinese food during the whole trip smile.png

- Wednesday, walked to komtar bus station (under the big and ugly tower) not too far from chulia street and took 401E to the airport, 45 minutes ride.

- Flight to phuket departure 2:15pm arrival 2:30pm, got my 60 days stamp.

- Nobody stole my motorbike => sucessful trip!

Total cost about 10k thb, almost double the minivan option but the trip was quite enjoyable and I'm not in a wheelchair.

• Like 2

Why didn't you get 2 tourist visas? Watch the AirAsia sales, and you can cut the flight cost in half with some pre-planning. Nice report, even though you didn't go to the consulate yourself.

Unfortunately Air Asia don't fly direct from Phuket to Penang; Firefly are the only direct carriers on this route. Edited by digitalchromakey

Why didn't you get 2 tourist visas? Watch the AirAsia sales, and you can cut the flight cost in half with some pre-planning. Nice report, even though you didn't go to the consulate yourself.

No double entry tourist visa available in Penang.

The agents are doing a fine job there, no need for the extra cost and hassle to do it yourself :)

Good post and usefull for others....on a side note, the train is always a good option but from Phuket you will need to get to Hat Yai???..unless other major staion neare???, and would still entail a minibus ride.....Jim seems to be there less these days and at one time had a Canadian guy helping him.