Nine Hurt In Phuket Visa Run Smash

Boater

The accident took place at about 10:30am, some 30 kilometres north of Kurburi.

One of the passengers on the minibus, operated by Kathu-based TVR Co, told The Phuket News on condition of anonymity: “The driver – he’s only a young guy – was going very fast, about 120 kilometres an hour, and was trying to overtake on a bend. There was a vehicle coming the other way, so he swerved to avoid it.

“The minibus went off the road, fell onto its side and then slid into a tree.”

The driver and eight of the nine passengers were injured, he said, some badly. “One has a broken back; another has a broken neck,” he told The Phuket News.

“I don’t know why they have to drive like this.”

However, a TVR company spokesman, who also asked not to be named, denied that anyone’s back or neck had been broken, though he admitted one passenger had a broken leg.

He said two passengers had to be hospitalised but have both since been discharged, while another seven needed first aid treatment only.

The driver, he said, is already driving again on visa runs.

“Accidents can happen anywhere,” he added. “You can’t predict them. No one wanted this to happen – everyone understands this. Our company’s service is safe and we have insurance.”

http://www.thephuketnews.com/nine-hurt-in-phuket-visa-run-smash-32587.php

I went on one of the TVR runs to Penang a few weeks back. All i can say is that most of us were complaining to the driver most of the way there and back. Some were getting quite angry with him. His driving standard and skills were not just reclous and dangerous but i was surprised at his lack of driving skills in general. He kept stalling it!

I would never use this company again and strongly recommend others to the avoid TVR visa run company. Most of us passengers were quite scared and realised we were in a situation which was quite difficult to get out of.

Im not surprised this has happened and when the "spokesman" (Owner) has an attitude like that, i expect it will happen many more times.

Be careful out there guys.

“Accidents can happen anywhere,” he added. “You can’t predict them. No one wanted this to happen – everyone understands this. Our company’s service is safe and we have insurance.”

Having read the account, I would disagree with just about every word in this statement.

• Like 1

Stay away from these ''tours'' , do it yourself, get a friend to help out, pay the diesel etc, but stay away from these untrained, no nothing idiots. sad.png

+1. Told this story to my friend last night, the one who i went on the visa run with. He wasn't at all surprised. I laughed at his German accent, "That arrrse-ole driver." thumbsup.gif

We'll go in my truck next time, share the fuel costs.

Shame we can't organise something like a calender here on TVF. Maybe a pinned topic or something? When you know the dates your planning your run you could check on the TVF Phuket calender to see who else is going that week. Could save you a few baht, your life and could be fun. drunk.gifAhh well, i know it will never happen but thats an idea that has crossed my mind a few times.