Thai Workers Triumph After Setting Up Cooperative

webfact

Workers triumph after setting up cooperative

Pravit Rojanaphruk

The Nation

SAMUT PRAKAN: -- For three years now, the cooperative set up by workers who were dismissed by bra-maker Triumph is not just thriving, but is also successful in supporting other workers' rights.

After losing their jobs, the 12 workers set up a small "social venture" to start producing undergarments for both sexes under the "Try Arm" brand in October 2009. Now, they allocate 10 per cent of their income to support union rights and political activities.

Jitra Kotchadej, coordinator of the cooperative, explained that the venture was not a factory, but a business venture with a political dimension. She said all co-owners of the cooperative, which is located in a four-storey shophouse in Samut Prakan's Samrong area, earn Bt20 more than the current Bt300 daily minimum wage.

Jitra, a committed red shirt like the rest of the co-owners, lost her job in Triumph after she was seen on television wearing a T-shirt supporting Thai citizens' right to not stand up when the Royal anthem is played.

She explained that demand for Try Arm products was increasing and that they now have 40 sewing machines and are looking to purchase a few more second-hand machines, which cost between Bt30,000 and 40,000, to produce women's undergarments sold for between Bt79 and Bt120 and men's underwear retailed at Bt69 to Bt220.

Jitra called on consumers to not just think about fashion or price but to consider fair trade as well.

"When you buy goods, don't just think about the trend, but also look at the lives of the people behind these products. Find out if they are leading a decent life," Jitra advised.

At Try Arm, all workers are co-owners, own the tools they use and are paid 50 per cent of their daily wage for overtime. Jitra, who is one of the 12 co-owners, says their quality of life is good.

The workers often set up booths at red-shirt gatherings and rallies, and Jitra said that sometimes even the opposing yellow shirts buy Try Arm products because they know the group supports the right to collective bargaining.

"They [the yellow shirts] see it as a kind of social activism," Jitra said, adding that most purchases are made by placing orders on the phone or directly from the factory.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-11-01

Im pro yellow, but firing someone because they are red shirts is crazy. So all the luck to this lady. Also my political views would not change the products i buy. If the quality and price are good then buy from that person.

I don't get the politics angle here, but then again the current government needs to have some good news stories now and again.

Im pro yellow, but firing someone because they are red shirts is crazy. So all the luck to this lady. Also my political views would not change the products i buy. If the quality and price are good then buy from that person.

I don't get the politics angle here, but then again the current government needs to have some good news stories now and again.

I'm pro yellow.

So you are able to vote here in Thailand ?

'Jitra, a committed red shirt like the rest of the co-owners, lost her job in Triumph after she was seen on television wearing a T-shirt supporting Thai citizens' right to not stand up when the Royal anthem is played.'

A real hero IMO. Hopefully someday she will realize that her party, now in power, has done nothing to remedy her legitimate grievances and is only shamelessly using people like her to gain and abuse raw political power.

• Like 1

I'm pro yellow.

I can't vote but i can have preferences. I'm also for Obama instead of Romney and im no american. Strange concept for some to have preferences.

I'm pro yellow.

I can't vote but i can have preferences. I'm also for Obama instead of Romney and im no american. Strange concept for some to have preferences.

Indeed given that ones chosen preference has no effect whatsoever.

Still I suppose it's nice to feel part of the bigger picture.

I'm pro yellow.

What a strange remark, saying you cant be for something because you cant influence it. Tell that to every sports fan watching a game, or people watching movies.

Come back when you learned a bit more ok.

• Like 2

YES!!! YES YES it is good they have Triumphed....and Stood Tall inspite of the Odds..

CHEERS for these people...Hell! that calls for a Gin N Tonic with a lemon or lime twist; ABSOLUTE Gin of Course..

Thats a Triumph worth Celebrating...drunk.gif

Edited by jerrysteve

I'm pro yellow.

Even if he had a vote, the effect of a single vote is miniscule and hardly worth arguing.

" no effect whatsoever" also excludes the effect that the preferred may have on the preferee. Life in Thailand may be considerably different should the reds held political dominance.

I'm pro yellow.

So if you're well aware of all this, what's your point of continuing spouting your opinions on an anonymaous forum.
  • Like 1

This is a good story.

I wish it could (for once) be told without mentioning red or yellow shirts!

Well it is important: "The workers often set up booths at red-shirt gatherings and rallies." There is a high chance that the get financed from big brother....producing something for them.

Well connected it is easy to make profit......

Jitra said that sometimes even the opposing yellow shirts buy Try Arm products because they know the group supports the right to collective bargaining.

"They [the yellow shirts] see it as a kind of social activism," Jitra said, adding that most purchases are made by placing orders on the phone or directly from the factory.

Actually not so much separating ordinary reds and yellows. Cut out the personalities playing their own games with their self-serving and deliberately inflammatory rhetoric and lies, and Thais can all get along.