Cobra

Hi all,

We had a cobra turn up in the yard that scared the maid pretty badly. The cobra disappeared before the local gardener could find it (apparently they are really tasty). The cobra was close to our front gate and now I'm worried about coming in and out with my 4 year old son. We have had sulphur down in the yard and all along our wall prior to the cobra showing up so that is not exactly warding them off. Any advice as to keeping them out? Dogs or cats in the yard? Mongoose? :)

Thanks!

Shan

• Like 1

My house is surrounded by jungle. I get lots of snakes in the garden. I have always found that they tend to slither away as soon as they hear you. A dog would help as mine have a certain bark for cobras and they seem to be the only ones they kill. I was also told it is the baby cobras you need to be careful of as the adults realise that they cannot eat you so will bite but not venomate you simply as a warning to leave them alone.

I don't have kids though so can understand your concerns.

I happen to have a small cute puppy looking for a good home that comes from very good Cobra killing stock, his mother is very good at it wink.png

This cobra was cheeky, stood up and flared the hood, right next to and inside our front gate. The maid was still shaken several hours later although she did say it was not very large. We will try snake-away and consider another pet. Just had a bad experience with a puppy/dog that would not stop biting our son. Thanks for the input!

This cobra was cheeky, stood up and flared the hood, right next to and inside our front gate. The maid was still shaken several hours later although she did say it was not very large. We will try snake-away and consider another pet. Just had a bad experience with a puppy/dog that would not stop biting our son. Thanks for the input!

This powder will not harm the snake. You create a boundary around your house/garden and the snake will not cross over it.

A little off topic so bear with me PS. I don't want to be the first victim of your new found might whistling.gif

A friend went and got himself a dog from the local dog rescue place. a nice looking dog and just what my friend was looking for. When I bumped into him a few months later I asked about the dog and he said he had to give it back. sad.png Why I asked ?

Well he said it wouldn't do as it was told, as in sit, come, fetch etc.

I said you were talking Thai to it then ? blink.png

He looked at me as if I was stupid and said "its a dog, dogs don't talk Thai "

I said yes but it is a Thai dog and it doesn't know what sit, come and fetch means.

he couldn't get it into his head that a dog could only understand Thai.

I think he took it back and swapped it for a cat whistling.gif

Just one thing - as I understand it, snakes are deaf.

It's not the noise that frightens them - it is vibration. (same same but different)

I tell guests to stamp their feet when walking in the bush.

As an earlier poster wrote - cobras are not stupid. They know that you are bigger then them and they cannot eat you. They only 'rear' because they are scared or young. Stamp your feet, walk away (backwards) and usually they do not hang around people.

The one that your maid met was probably on it's way somewhere and got frightened.

Now, the 4 - 5 meter python found at the bottom of my garden last week - that is another matter!

I do not know the numbers - but lots more snakes are killed than people are bitten on Samui.

If you know where the snake is - Phil the snake man will come and take it away. Keep his number on your mobile phone.

On the dog v snake thing - sometimes the dog comes second. Better not to leave it to a family pet to sort out. One of my renters did and ..... well I have one dog that belonged to a renter buried nearbye.

• Like 1

How far inland do you have to go to see them? If one is staying close to the beach will they avoid them? I'm terrified of cobras...

and they are terrified of you.ohmy.png

They like to live in quiet areas with an abundance of food. (Frogs, smaller snakes, birds, and small mammels etc.) licklips.gif

They do not usually climb trees, and live mainly on the ground. One of their favourite haunts (so I am told by Thai friends) is in the leaf litter under bamboo.

I have never seen them sunbathing on the beach giggle.gif (sorry.gif - I could not resist that one)

• Like 2

Whenever you get the chance, just kill them. You don't need them breeding in populated area. Sure the snakes "were here first" and Cambodia used to rule Thailand. So what?

I would say it is people like you who we don't want breeding here. Thailand has also never been conquered either !

Live and let live.

• Like 2

Whenever you get the chance, just kill them. You don't need them breeding in populated area. Sure the snakes "were here first" and Cambodia used to rule Thailand. So what?

I would say it is people like you who we don't want breeding here. Thailand has also never been conquered either !

Live and let live.

Bert do your history mate. Thailand has never been conquered because if anyone shows hostile intent they are welcomed in with open arms.

Thats not anti Thailand its fact. Ask the japs

Theres also no need to kill snakes just use deterents ike i suggested earlier

• Like 1

Hi all,

We had a cobra turn up in the yard that scared the maid pretty badly. The cobra disappeared before the local gardener could find it (apparently they are really tasty). The cobra was close to our front gate and now I'm worried about coming in and out with my 4 year old son. We have had sulphur down in the yard and all along our wall prior to the cobra showing up so that is not exactly warding them off. Any advice as to keeping them out? Dogs or cats in the yard? Mongoose? smile.png

Thanks!

Shan

Where can you buy sulphur in Samui, or did you bring it with you?

Live and let live.

Bert do your history mate. Thailand has never been conquered because if anyone shows hostile intent they are welcomed in with open arms.

Thats not anti Thailand its fact. Ask the japs

Theres also no need to kill snakes just use deterents ike i suggested earlier

and they have never even qulified for the world cup!

Snakeaway is down. Keeping my fingers crossed. Also taking out hedges that run under our bamboo along our front wall.

Still looking for a friendly mongoose!

...but what if the snake is already inside the perimeter and can't cross the Snakeaway to get out?

Snakeaway is down. Keeping my fingers crossed. Also taking out hedges that run under our bamboo along our front wall.

Still looking for a friendly mongoose!

...but what if the snake is already inside the perimeter and can't cross the Snakeaway to get out?

oh dear i am sure it would not take you long to fiond it and chop or not chop it up

Comon mod, surely a pop at the snake killer is acceptable, he wishes a snake dead and so I did likewise to him. We are all equal creatures. You should delete the snake killing comment too I reckon.

if it makes you feel better then kill a person every time u kill an animal to balance nature or even your self. i am sure people would uner stand your suicide note )

Personally I think punishments should be much harder for cruelty to animals, maybe not an eye for an eye literally though but getting up there.

what do u define as cruelty? someone that kills a snake to as to make sure it definatly cannot come back and bite you or your child or someone that captures them and tourtures them for fun

there is a line where killing is exeptable. as most of us eat meat all comes from something that yused to be alive.

when i find a snake i normally try to catch it then release it but if i cannot i go for the kill before i runs out of my sight. as if i cannot see it then it shall come back and they are crafty gits.

for example i tried to catch one the other day. it got away.

\then i could not see it. as i was about to walk through the door i just noticed it was crueled up in a crack in the door waiting to jump me as i went past,.

so off wis its head.

thing is when i tried to catch it it went away. i have no clue as to how it u turned and came back to me.

plus i sore it just kill a rat

it was amazing it was cruelled up in a ball as the rat went past it just leaped and grabbed it in about an inch of a second.

I think ultimately most would not seek out a snake to harm it however if they found themselves in a situation whereby they or their family were possibly in danger then they would have to seek a way to resolve the situation which may involve killing it.

I think ultimately most would not seek out a snake to harm it however if they found themselves in a situation whereby they or their family were possibly in danger then they would have to seek a way to resolve the situation which may involve killing it.

Totally agree. If i were to come accross a snake on my property first i would try and encourage it to leave. If it wants to stand its ground then that could become a danger to me and my family and would have to do whatever necessary to solve the problem. Killing it would always be an option for me.

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Thaivisa Connect App