Can Truevisions Stb Work With An American Monitor/tv ?

paul1970

Anyone have any information on getting the True set top box (Humax H200S) working with American TV's ?

I just had delivered a couple of HDTV monitor/tv (Samsung T27B350) from the US thinking I would be able to connect my PC and Truevisions STB so I could switch between the PC or True and was going to set one up in my office and one in my daughters room.

Connecting the PC was no problem but everytime I try to switch to the True STB I get a "Mode not supported, change resolution on external device" message, now I've tried every resolution on the True box and still get the same message, now what is confusing is the Samsung monitor is a HD monitor with a 1080 resolution and the True box when set to 1080 resolution I still get the same error despite the resolution of the True box set to the native resolution of the monitor. The connection was done with a HDMI cable, I then tried the component connetion but still get the same message.

Is there still some kind if incompatibility between US and other standards like there was between NTSC and PAL back in the Analogue days ?

Yes.

I bought a US TV to the Middle East and it would not work with an HDMI STB so I ended up buying one of these which solved the problem:

http://www.atlona.co...rter-1080p.html

Like you, I didn't think HDMI came in PAL and NTSC flavours, but there you go.

Thanks, will have to see if I can pick a couple of them up, found some on ebay for $125. Crazy that NTSC and PAL is still an issue though with all this digital technology.

HDMI does not care about PAL/NTSC but the monitor does.............

I am under the impression that TVs/Monitors sold outside the US are universal

and will accept PAL/NTSC/SECAM signals.

After all many DVD's have NTSC video output and can be played without difficulty.

It appears your monitors are not so tolerant. :bah:

HDMI does not care about PAL/NTSC but the monitor does.............

I am under the impression that TVs/Monitors sold outside the US are universal

and will accept PAL/NTSC/SECAM signals.

After all many DVD's have NTSC video output and can be played without difficulty.

It appears your monitors are not so tolerant. bah.gif

Mine is not a "monitor" it is a 55" LED TV, and yes, it plays Blurays fine, and also media players like Mixi and Brite-view. But the STB needed the above box, so I'm assuming it is not a problem with "the monitor", but with the STB, which does not have an option to change the flavour of HDMI.

Let's put it this way, if there were not different flavours, why would someone go to the trouble of building a converter?

I assume the bluray player also came from the US?

Media players can usually be configured for PAL or NTSC

My WD HDTV certainly can.

Yours are probably configured for NTSC if you brought them over?

I have just checked my Humax box, for Abu Dhabi TV, and there is

no setting on it for NTSC/PAL

I assume the bluray player also came from the US?

Media players can usually be configured for PAL or NTSC

My WD HDTV certainly can.

Yours are probably configured for NTSC if you brought them over?

I have just checked my Humax box, for Abu Dhabi TV, and there is

no setting on it for NTSC/PAL

And wouldn't you know it, it's the Abu Dhabi Sports box I bought it for (with a JSC card) and it all works swimmingly.

biggrin.png

The issue is the US market is NTSC only as it saves the makers a couple of cents on each unit and that market is so huge it makes sense to cater to that standard only (as sales are determined more by price than quality) - most units sold internationally have multi systems available as standard.

Actually it's a problem of frequency(50HZ in the 110V countries and 60hz in the 220V countries) as pal/ntsc/secam are not used anymore since the digital era.

If you STB has no option to output in 50HZ and your monitor obviously doesn't accept 60HZ single, you don't have any other choice but to buy a frequency "switcher" .

I just checked the output from my Abu Dhabi box and the TV says it is a 1080i 50Hz signal.

So perhaps the frequency is the problem for the monitor

I have been playing with my WD HDTV player that does allow me to change the output resolution

Normally it is 1080i 50Hz, so I changed it to 60Hz.

My Samsung TV still displayed the image, with a slight change in the menu spacing on the screen.

The TV confirmed that the signal is 60Hz.

If I plug the box directly into the TV, I get audio but no video.

Wouldn't you know it though, after 18 months of trouble free viewing, the Atlona box has just gone tits up on me!

So I've ordered one of these for 60 bucks:

http://www.amazon.com/Tmvel-TMV-HD1-Multi-System-Digital-Converter/dp/B008FQQCA8/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1352452715&sr=1-3&keywords=hdmi+ntsc+pal+converter