Ruling Sought On Coup Call: Thailand

webfact

Inciting people to break the law, any law, is ordinarily illegal in most countries. But then TIT.

If he incited everyone to litter the street, presumably that would be illegal......

So we would expect the majority of the Red Shirt leaders to get tried for Inciting their Protestors back in 2010 to "burn down Bangkok" etc?

Somehow methinks that just ain't gunna happen

Yup

Freedom of assembly, freedom of speech, freedom to protest government policies and waste...........are all now unconstitutional, according to the senator. He's a few months ahead of himself, the constitution reform hasn't been done yet.

calling to overthrow the government by undemocratic means, is that against the constiution?

it must be there somewhere i would hope.

There is a difference between publicly approving, and even calling for an illegal action, and actually plotting and/or carrying it out.

Did you not notice " the court should order an end to more unconstitutional protests" - should they ban them because they might call for a coup?

Banning public gatherings on the apprehension of an illegal act is just a tad draconian, or dictatorial if you prefer.

And again, if it's not unconstitutional now, it may well be soon.

Who knows what is unconstitutional in Thailand any more when the country is run by a fugitive in another country?

Freedom of assembly, freedom of speech, freedom to protest government policies and waste...........are all now unconstitutional, according to the senator. He's a few months ahead of himself, the constitution reform hasn't been done yet.

calling to overthrow the government by undemocratic means, is that against the constiution?

it must be there somewhere i would hope.

There is a difference between publicly approving, and even calling for an illegal action, and actually plotting and/or carrying it out.

Did you not notice " the court should order an end to more unconstitutional protests" - should they ban them because they might call for a coup?

Banning public gatherings on the apprehension of an illegal act is just a tad draconian, or dictatorial if you prefer.

And again, if it's not unconstitutional now, it may well be soon.

Who knows what is unconstitutional in Thailand any more when the country is run by a fugitive in another country?

the constitutional court? i know your question was rhetorical, as was mine.

they seemed to have some trouble themselves deciphering whether an 'and' in article 68 was coordinative or correlative

Whether it is unconstitutional, sedition or treason is ultimately irrelevant. The tanks trump the constitution every time.

And once the tanks have done their job you can always write another one...

Edited by JAG

Whether it is unconstitutional, sedition or treason is ultimately irrelevant. The tanks trump the constitution every time.

There's something else that trumps the constitution and any other legal organ in Thailand. It is called Expediency. It is a part of the natural law of Thailand and its supremacy simply cannot be understood, much less accepted, by most foreigners from developed countries.

I bet visitors to Thailand from places like India, Eastern Europe and South America don't have half as much to say about Thai politics as the indignant Brits, Aussies, Canadians and Yanks who fret at Thai politics like a person scolding a quadriplegic person for not trying to run fast enough.

We can all dream of a better Thailand, I'm sure. Just no need to bust a blood vessel in the process (unless you get shot or bombed at a demonstration).

And if you haven't got a tank, you could rent a mob.

• Like 1

Shame no one arrested or charged the reds on stage during 2010 for exactly the same thing... even though they flowered it by inciting to burn the city as well, which they did. No treason there at all...

When exactly did the reds ever call for a coup to overthrow a democratically elected government?

as usual you speak with forked tongue!

This is not a surprising move. Freedom of speech has never been big on the Redshirt/PT agenda. The few Redshirts who actually were for any degree of freedom of speech have mostly been locked up & muzzled by the draconian LM laws, laws that the PT find just a useful as the Democrats.

Well for future reference at least rallies in the future can't whip up the crowd by asking for a coup.

He isn't going to get into massive trouble for this, but, presumably, this is a good thing right? Presumably this applies to the coloured media too? I.e. Manager and Red TV or whatever they are called.

Calling for a coup to overthrow a democratically elected government is freedom of speech?

typical yellow shirt supporter with no hope of EVER winning an election.

Statistically, Thailand has a coup or coup attempt every 4 years. It's part of their democratic process. It's not how things are done back home.....but I'm not back home. Who am I to criticize how democracy is done in Thailand.

''It's part of their democratic process''

a coup, part of a democratic process? what are you blathering about?

Statistically, Thailand has a coup or coup attempt every 4 years. It's part of their democratic process. It's not how things are done back home.....but I'm not back home. Who am I to criticize how democracy is done in Thailand.

''It's part of their democratic process''

a coup, part of a democratic process? what are you blathering about?

That is one of the biggest issues. A coup is accepted as part of the parliamentary process in Thailand. Everyone needs to learn that coups are NOT a good thing, and come up with a better way, such as checks and balances and a functioning legal system with fair and proper judgements to handle issues.