Motorcycle Thefts

beengonetoolong

get a big lock and chain it will make them think about it first.but bikes do get stolen

Might be better to use a cable rather than a chain. Unless you really get a really biiiiiiiiiig chain, they are too easy for the average tool user to break, and bolt cutters are cheap here in Thailand, and often seen. Cables are much more difficult to cut with usual tools, and very few people have large cable cutters in the back of their trucks. A 1/4" inch cable will take the average worker (without a real cable cutter) 20 minutes to cut through trying to use wire cutters.

I had the two rubber covers over the footpads of my Honda stolen about 8 months ago in Bangkok. I replaced them.

After I was in Chiang Mai for about 3 months, I went to the Saturday morning walking market and parked my bike on a main road. I came back 2 hours later and one of the rubber footpads had been stolen (they are really hard to get off too because it is a snug fit, just like most rubbers and apologies for the pun).

I suspect the thief in the first case (in Bangkok) was a professional who resold them; in the second case, probably a guy who just needed a rubber padding. Oh, I also had my mirror stolen in Bangkok about 8 years ago after I parked at a Lotus store (attendant present too); on Hondas, these come off easily simply by unscrewing them.

When I took my bike, a Honda Wave, to a mechanic for an oil change here in CM, he said to be very careful because that type of bike is at the top of the list for the Burmese theft rings. The Honda Shop near the airport told me the same thing. So I bought a U type locking device made by Honda; it's made of heavy gauge steel and easy to lock and unlock. Sells for about B 300. You stick the "U" between the forks of your front wheel and the closing bar locks.

Its called a D lock.

Oppps on side note its the first thing i get replaced when i buy a 2nd hand mbike--new ignition-250 bt

Thats a good idea. But thieves stole my bike in Pattaya by pushing it away (with a honda wave)

Hope you got a good disc lock and chain to immobilise the bike...

Saw you previous post and vid. Any updates? How have the police been, helpful or otherwise?

post-184157-0-45148500-1377445378_thumb.

A topcase with alarm will keep your helmet and alert surrounding once your bike is being "move"........can stop thief but at least alram may scare them off or alert security personel if they're around. Another advise is to cover your bike with thief and lost insurance policy. wai.gif

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=285637224872765&set=t.100004998243931&type=3&theater

Oppps on side note its the first thing i get replaced when i buy a 2nd hand mbike--new ignition-250 bt

Thats a good idea. But thieves stole my bike in Pattaya by pushing it away (with a honda wave)

After your story I am sure not to forget my disk lock anymore. I mean I got a great xena disk lock and it works good.. just could not be bothered with it for a while. But now that i know that its easy to break the steering lock I wont risk my ninja 650.

As for helmet thieves i got packsafe helmet bag

http://pacsafe.com/lidsafe-anti-theft-helmet-bag

I have a pretty expensive helmet (worth every baht) and i wont risk it.

Edited by robblok

...no longer have nice things here--mbike-sunglasses-2 phones-money-slippers-cash-buddha book--all stolen sad.png

either you have incredibly bad luck or some karma issues, or you hang out at the wrong places or with the wrong people. in more than 25 years being here i have never had as much as a newspaper stolen.

• Like 1

In 3 years I personally only know one person who has had their bike stolen and another who has had their helmet stolen.

7 years for me and I know of no one who has had there's stolen. Fact of the matter is I know no one who worries about it.

All though I am sure it has happened. I see so many parked bikes with the helmits on them I often wonder how many get stolen. Apparently not enough to worry to many people.

I had a motorcycle robbed about 2 months ago from in front a bank beside a police box where I liked to park as figured was safer.

Police aren't interested in motorcycle thefts and am guessing its usually sad little yaba junkie young men doing the robbing.

Now I use the alarms(which are cheap to install but expensive on bike batteries as they suckle them to death if bike sits a few weeks.)

Also I use a chain in wheel if bike is left more than a few hours as bike thief's look for easy thefts.

A policeman mentioned the junkies like to rob bikes from the hospital car parks too which I think is really saddest of all for the person visiting or looking after a very injured or dying relative to get robbed on top of it.

For us its not much of a hit but for a hard working Thai it's cruel to get a bike robbed.

I had a big thick chain and lock for my daughters Honda,

every time she went out I told her to put it on the bike,but

I had the feeling sometimes she did not bother,especially

if it was raining,

So I purchased some computer bits and pieces from China

and at same time bought a cheap alarm,it was only about

bht 300, fitted in about an hour,took a couple of panels off

and installed the alarm inside,wire though wall of the space

under the seat,2 wires to battery, there was another wire to

fit to the key circuit,but did not know how to do that as the

instruction leaflet was in Chinese. anyway it works,any

moment to the bike and it goes off, better than nothing,

and I know she will use it, at best you can only deter the

thief,as if they want your bike,it will be gone.

regards Worgeordie

• 5 weeks later...

Saw you previous post and vid. Any updates? How have the police been, helpful or otherwise?

I sent the CCTV video to Khao Sod News, they ran the story and also contacted the Nongprue police for their comments. The police are "working very hard" on this investigation :)

The owner of the Ninja thinks he has seen his bike parked in Pattaya; he ran back to his room to get the engine number but the bike was gone when he returned. Just repeating what he told me...

I have the frame and engine serial numbers in my wallet. I have often thought: "What would I do if I found the bike?" Best bet with people around would be to start screaming THIEF, THIEF!, trying to get the public to come to my aid. Another tactic would be to see if the key worked, then simply drive it away and park it at a friends garage.

I don't have any cop friends and I doubt if I could even get one of the cops from the station to go with me to get the bike back, even if I knew where it was.

The thieves just might have have kept the bikes, they looked like drug dealers/users, so having a big bike would enable them to outrun the cops at road blocks. If they had to abandon them, no problema; easy come, easy go.

But, at the end of the day some guy in Cambodia, Viet Nam or even China is delighted with the low price he paid for a stolen bike from Pattaya.

Hope he lives his next life as a soi dog :)

I've known of 2 bike thefts, one was of a Honda Dream and the other a Nouvo. The first was stolen from the parking lot under his condo during the day and the second was in a quiet soi near Cafe Del Sol after 3am. The "how" of the first one was caught on the condo camera, the guy just sat on the bike talking on his phone while casually checking the bike then managed to start it up (from what I gather some of the older locks will start up with any key of the same model) and cruised off. I've also had a friend have his 900 baht helmet stolen which was not locked but just sitting on the mirror.

As for me I've left my keys in the bike at least 5 times and come back to find everything still there. Lucky I guess. Still, I'm shocked at my absent mindedness in the last few years. There was a time I would never have been so careless.

I've known of 2 bike thefts, one was of a Honda Dream and the other a Nouvo. The first was stolen from the parking lot under his condo during the day and the second was in a quiet soi near Cafe Del Sol after 3am. The "how" of the first one was caught on the condo camera, the guy just sat on the bike talking on his phone while casually checking the bike then managed to start it up (from what I gather some of the older locks will start up with any key of the same model) and cruised off. I've also had a friend have his 900 baht helmet stolen which was not locked but just sitting on the mirror.

As for me I've left my keys in the bike at least 5 times and come back to find everything still there. Lucky I guess. Still, I'm shocked at my absent mindedness in the last few years. There was a time I would never have been so careless.

Crime in Thailand is not a problem- until it is!

I've left my key in the seat lock before and every thing was fine.

I locked my full face Index helmet D ring to the under seat (locking peg) and returned to find only the cut end of the strap. This was at Big C Pattaya Tai, broad day light.

Lost a 700 baht Index full face shield helmet sitting on the mirror at a bar on Soi Neurnplubwan. I was sitting maybe 20 feet away but had my back to the bike. Many helmets for the taking there but I guess they wanted mine :)

My bike and a Kawa Ninja were stolen from locked parking compound. After the theft I went to neighbor hood businesses, asking to view their CCTV cam footage. All of them had been broken in to at least once.

A girl at the gym had her Fino stolen at the Threpasit market.

Draw your own conclusions about theft in Thailand...

I had a big thick chain and lock for my daughters Honda,

every time she went out I told her to put it on the bike,but

I had the feeling sometimes she did not bother,especially

if it was raining,

So I purchased some computer bits and pieces from China

and at same time bought a cheap alarm,it was only about

bht 300, fitted in about an hour,took a couple of panels off

and installed the alarm inside,wire though wall of the space

under the seat,2 wires to battery, there was another wire to

fit to the key circuit,but did not know how to do that as the

instruction leaflet was in Chinese. anyway it works,any

moment to the bike and it goes off, better than nothing,

and I know she will use it, at best you can only deter the

thief,as if they want your bike,it will be gone.

regards Worgeordie

Crime in Thailand is not a problem- until it is!

I've left my key in the seat lock before and every thing was fine.

I locked my full face Index helmet D ring to the under seat (locking peg) and returned to find only the cut end of the strap. This was at Big C Pattaya Tai, broad day light.

Lost a 700 baht Index full face shield helmet sitting on the mirror at a bar on Soi Neurnplubwan. I was sitting maybe 20 feet away but had my back to the bike. Many helmets for the taking there but I guess they wanted mine smile.png

My bike and a Kawa Ninja were stolen from locked parking compound. After the theft I went to neighbor hood businesses, asking to view their CCTV cam footage. All of them had been broken in to at least once.

A girl at the gym had her Fino stolen at the Threpasit market.

Draw your own conclusions about theft in Thailand...

Guess installing a Coocase topcase with alarm and remote function may be a better way for protection and storage of helmet. Alarm function will sound with any moment of bike to deter possible thief, and the convenience of opening the box without using manual key......just like most car driver do when they open their car door. thumbsup.gif

post-184157-0-44340400-1383767425_thumb.

post-184157-0-88899600-1383767442_thumb.

My son is a police officer in Chiang Mai and here is some info:

Over the last 24 months there has been a substantial increase in motorbike thefts, including property left on motorbikes in and around Chiang Mai.

Regarding property such as helmets, coats, bags etc, left on motorbikes in the streets and in car parks, there has been a dramatic increase in these thefts, especially in the open car park at the Airport Plaza with has become a magnet for these property left on motorbike thieves.

There are some known gangs that are going around Chiang Mai with pick-ups, usually with 2 or more men. If they see a motorbike that they desire and consider as an easy target, they will lift the bike onto the back of their pickup and off they go. Also the car park at Chiang Mai railway station has become a prime target for the thieves, plus motorbike thefts in the Hang Dong areas have escalated, including the car park at the Hang Dong hospital and the post office. There have even been a few recent motorbike thefts at Chiang Mai airport. The most favoured bikes are Honda Waves and Dreams, Honda Phantoms and the automatic scooter types.

If you park your motorbike, do not leave helmets, bags or any valuables on the bike and if parking on a street, always engage the steering lock, never leave the key in the ignition and try to chain the bike up to a lamp post of some solid object. Also never leave the engine running on the bike if unattended, not even for a minute.

These are the warnings given to me by the police to pass onto you.

Back in 1994 motorbike theft reached epic proportions in Chiang Mai until the police adopted a no tolerance policy and eventually it resulted in that one youth gang of about 8 individuals were responsible for 90% of all these thefts in the centre Chiang Mai areas. During those times each member of the gang were given prison sentences of 6 years.

For those who do not heed these warnings, do so at their own risk and discretion.

6years should be a good deterrent .Do you know if its mainly Burmese or Thai doing the robbing ?

Over the last 24 months there has been a substantial increase in motorbike thefts, including property left on motorbikes in and around Chiang Mai.

Regarding property such as helmets, coats, bags etc, left on motorbikes in the streets and in car parks, there has been a dramatic increase in these thefts, especially in the open car park at the Airport Plaza with has become a magnet for these property left on motorbike thieves.

There are some known gangs that are going around Chiang Mai with pick-ups, usually with 2 or more men. If they see a motorbike that they desire and consider as an easy target, they will lift the bike onto the back of their pickup and off they go. Also the car park at Chiang Mai railway station has become a prime target for the thieves, plus motorbike thefts in the Hang Dong areas have escalated, including the car park at the Hang Dong hospital and the post office. There have even been a few recent motorbike thefts at Chiang Mai airport. The most favoured bikes are Honda Waves and Dreams, Honda Phantoms and the automatic scooter types.

If you park your motorbike, do not leave helmets, bags or any valuables on the bike and if parking on a street, always engage the steering lock, never leave the key in the ignition and try to chain the bike up to a lamp post of some solid object. Also never leave the engine running on the bike if unattended, not even for a minute.

Back in 1994 motorbike theft reached epic proportions in Chiang Mai until the police adopted a no tolerance policy and eventually it resulted in that one youth gang of about 8 individuals were responsible for 90% of all these thefts in the centre Chiang Mai areas. During those times each member of the gang were given prison sentences of 6 years.

For those who do not heed these warnings, do so at their own risk and discretion.

6years should be a good deterrent .Do you know if its mainly Burmese or Thai doing the robbing ?

I am not prepared to give crime statistics split into categories of race and nationality, which could promote racist views, but I can tell you that some of the stolen motorbikes do end up crossing the borders and there is a small non-Thai element involved in the outer provinces

Good to know and thanks for sharing. If I get another bike, I will get the best disc alarm I can buy and also try to chain it to something to immobilize it. Hopefully it will encourage the thieves to move on to the next target...