Gluten Free In Cm

chiang mai

How was the gluten free bread? Been meaning to try it out myself.

If you're a lover of truly good breads, dark bavarian, rye, sourdough, french etc, gluten free bread will be a big disappointment, but the choices are, gluten free bread or no bread! We learn to adjust and I have no doubt I will buy lots more of it.

CM, I thought I saw at Rimping some "low-gluten" (not gluten free) bread.

Unless you are very allergic, this might be a possibility?

Thanks but I already checked with Rimping and they don't make it or supply it, too bad.

If you're a lover of truly good breads, dark bavarian, rye, sourdough, french etc, gluten free bread will be a big disappointment, but the choices are, gluten free bread or no bread! We learn to adjust and I have no doubt I will buy lots more of it.

Do you have celiac disease? That seems to be the main for avoiding gluten, but most people that don't have celiac disease tolerate gluten well in moderate amounts.

Thanks but I already checked with Rimping and they don't make it or supply it, too bad.

You might want to try Rimping near the airport. I bought some low Gluten bread there; maybe they were confused by your question or different branches have different things? Agree with a prior poster that the taste is different (and not very good too).

Edited by TheVicar

Do you have celiac disease? That seems to be the main for avoiding gluten, but most people that don't have celiac disease tolerate gluten well in moderate amounts.

Yes it looks that way, I've got three more weeks on a gluten free diet and if the results remain the same I'll have the biopsy to confirm, thus far the diet has made a substantial difference, I'm sad to say.

You might want to try Rimping near the airport. I bought some low Gluten bread there; maybe they were confused by your question or different branches have different things? Agree with a prior poster that the taste is different (and not very good too).

I'll give them a try, the baker at the store near me was more than familiar with the question, it seems as though she gets asked on a regular basis.

Yes it looks that way, I've got three more weeks on a gluten free diet and if the results remain the same I'll have the biopsy to confirm, thus far the diet has made a substantial difference, I'm sad to say.

A little curious here the diet has made substantial differences you are sad to say.

Are you getting worse because of the diet?

A little curious here the diet has made substantial differences you are sad to say.

No, the diet merely confirms the condition hence that means I have much that I now have to give up permanently.

No, the diet merely confirms the condition hence that means I have much that I now have to give up permanently.

Good website on this problem: http://www.celiac.co...Free/Page1.html

It warns that if your body is really sensitive to glutens you will need to gluten-free your kitchen, your bathroom (apparently many products in the bathroom have gluten in them) and even kissing may be a hazard! Ouch!

Can you cook yourself and do you have facilities? After reading the kitchen section on the above web site, you may have to prepare most of your own foods depending on the severity of your allergy. There's an excellent and very large store called Yok Bakery Supply on the outer ring road between Big C Extra and Makro. They have an enormous selection of baking products and I believe I saw gluten free flour there. As I vaguely recall, it was imported and expensive. They seem to have some links to a big German company.

Yok is bigger than any of the Rimping branches. Maybe you can also talk to some of the bakers. If you cannot bake yourself, maybe you can make some private arrangement with someone who can. The UN Irish Pub makes good breads and maybe you could talk with someone there. You might also look out for a support group that has other celiac disease people in it. They can probably give you some good pointers.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Edited by TheVicar

Good website on this problem: http://www.celiac.co...Free/Page1.html

It warns that if your body is really sensitive to glutens you will need to gluten-free your kitchen, your bathroom (apparently many products in the bathroom have gluten in them) and even kissing may be a hazard! Ouch!

Can you cook yourself and do you have facilities? After reading the kitchen section on the above web site, you may have to prepare most of your own foods depending on the severity of your allergy. There's an excellent and very large store called Yok Bakery Supply on the outer ring road between Big C Extra and Makro. They have an enormous selection of baking products and I believe I saw gluten free flour there. As I vaguely recall, it was imported and expensive. They seem to have some links to a big German company.

Yok is bigger than any of the Rimping branches. Maybe you can also talk to some of the bakers. If you cannot bake yourself, maybe you can make some private arrangement with someone who can. The UN Irish Pub makes good breads and maybe you could talk with someone there. You might also look out for a support group that has other celiac disease people in it. They can probably give you some good pointers.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Thanks for the link and the kind words, I'm only just begining to get my head around how much of a life changing event this is but I have no doubt that I'm up to the challenge (gulp).

real food doesn't have gluten in it anyways, you will manage!

Most basic food doesn't have gluten in it but it does seem as thought the stuff is used almost everywhere, cosmetics, multi-vitamins, toothpaste and shampoos, not to mention most sauces used in cooking or as condoments. So yes, it's OK if you want to walk into a restaurant and order some plain coooked chicken and some plain cooked vegetables but chances that you might find such a place are slim. Even the cow pad gai that I had for lunch yesterday turned out to use a fish sauce in the making, that contains gluten!

We have lots of people, including celiacs, who like our gluten free bread. I have to say I was dubious about it, the first time we made it. But I was pleasantly surprised. It tastes like a mixed whole grain/white bread.

But I should point out we make it at our bakery, which uses wheat flour, lots and lots of wheat flour. so the possibility of cross contamination is there.

We also make a gluten free pancake mix and at the restaurant offer 100% buckwheat flour pancakes, that are also gluten free.

We also make flourless chocolate cake, dacqoise and some gluten free cookies. However, they are not always on offer so it's best to check in advance.

We have lots of people, including celiacs, who like our gluten free bread. I have to say I was dubious about it, the first time we made it. But I was pleasantly surprised. It tastes like a mixed whole grain/white bread.

But I should point out we make it at our bakery, which uses wheat flour, lots and lots of wheat flour. so the possibility of cross contamination is there.

We also make a gluten free pancake mix and at the restaurant offer 100% buckwheat flour pancakes, that are also gluten free.

We also make flourless chocolate cake, dacqoise and some gluten free cookies. However, they are not always on offer so it's best to check in advance.

I have tried the Gluten free bread and the pancakes and both were OK, the problem is more about the mental shift from bavarian rye and dark multigrains over to bread that is 180 degrees away, my problem not yours or the breads!

• Like 1

Does anyone know where in Chiang Mai I can get a blood test for Celiac Disease?

Either CM RAM or Sriphat can do the tTGA, IgG & IgM tests, make sure you are not on a gluten free diet before having the test otherwise it will be negative. Other clinics and hospitals may offer you the test but they outsource the actual lab work to Bangkok which takes seven days.

Edited by chiang mai
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have tried the Gluten free bread and the pancakes and both were OK, the problem is more about the mental shift from bavarian rye and dark multigrains over to bread that is 180 degrees away, my problem not yours or the breads!

For anyone who has enjoyed good bread all their life, it's certainly very difficult to suddenly give it up. I understand that bcoz I did it myself a few months ago -- even though I have no gluten allergy. My reason was totally different. I became convinced that today's wheat (unlike what my grandparents ate) is not safe for human consumption. I assume OP has researched this already. For anyone who has not, just Google "modern wheat a perfect chronic poison."

I have four brothers and sisters (all in falang-land) who've also given up wheat, one due to severe gluten allergy, the other three for the same reason I have. So we share info on gluten-free substitutes for wheat flour. Some substitutes are not very palatable, a few we have found are not bad at all.

The pain of suddenly being forced to go gluten-free may be, over the long term, a blessing in disguise. Without the allergy how many folks would ever learn of wheat's hidden dangers.

Just my 2 baht worth.

Brad

• 2 weeks later...